Solved

Can I move my vehicle to grid (V2G) EV charger to another home? How do I arrange this?

Hi

My question is : can I move V2G charger to other home?
Can I by my self? or by engineer from OVO, and how much will be cost?

I know, now after when the trial (Jan 2022) is complete, I own the charger. 

Then can I move it my self and pay OVO for connection only ? and it will be connected to Kazula Platform? 

Or new owner on current house can continue use it with export benefits? 

Regards 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 2 July 2021, 09:54

Hi @TomekS and thanks for posting this new V2G question. It’s a good’n!

My colleagues in the ‘Smart Home’ team have advised that:

“We don't offer this as an option to trial members I'm afraid, we simply remove the V2G from their existing property if they move out. If a trial member has completed their trial term though, which is 24 months from the point of original installation, they then take ownership of the charger. They can do what they wish with the V2G charger once they own it and could investigate moving it with a private installer or ChargedEV at a cost to themselves.

However the work required at the new property might be outside of the remit of the customer. They'd need the site to be deemed suitable with the Distribution Network Operator (DNO), physical groundworks might need to be undertaken alongside the installation and applications to the DNO would be needed to allow for exports.

We wouldn't offer the same V2G export credits if they did manage to move it themselves either.”

Keen to hear your thoughts on this Tomek, and of course if you or other trialists had any follow up questions or feedback to share, post this as a comment below. For anything account specific about the V2G trial, email the Smart Home team at: smarthome@ovoenergy.com

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @TomekS and thanks for posting this new V2G question. It’s a good’n!

My colleagues in the ‘Smart Home’ team have advised that:

“We don't offer this as an option to trial members I'm afraid, we simply remove the V2G from their existing property if they move out. If a trial member has completed their trial term though, which is 24 months from the point of original installation, they then take ownership of the charger. They can do what they wish with the V2G charger once they own it and could investigate moving it with a private installer or ChargedEV at a cost to themselves.

However the work required at the new property might be outside of the remit of the customer. They'd need the site to be deemed suitable with the Distribution Network Operator (DNO), physical groundworks might need to be undertaken alongside the installation and applications to the DNO would be needed to allow for exports.

We wouldn't offer the same V2G export credits if they did manage to move it themselves either.”

Keen to hear your thoughts on this Tomek, and of course if you or other trialists had any follow up questions or feedback to share, post this as a comment below. For anything account specific about the V2G trial, email the Smart Home team at: smarthome@ovoenergy.com

thank you

Yes, I have question. 

If I will move to other house and I understood the new owner of the house can’t get V2G export credits, then charger is not useful to him, it’s this same if I move charger my self to new house. 

Charger will be not connected to Kazula portal in both situations.

Question is, how I can use it smart options without Kazula portal? 

Without access to management it’s not useful. he is 5kw charger where car have onboard 6kw.

Without management it will be a big  chunk on the wall without benefits. 

Regards 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I agree, that is a bit of a disappointing statement. 

“Yes, you can participate in the future of the electricity grid, but only if you never move.” 

Especially the lack of access via the Kaluza platform leaves a bad taste. 

But I guess it is a trial, and this is one of the lessons to be learned. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @TomekS - I’ve heard a rumour that you might have been sent a full email response about this questions. Let me know if I’m wrong in what I’ve said below:

If I will move to other house and I understood the new owner of the house can’t get V2G export credits, then charger is not useful to him, it’s this same if I move charger my self to new house. 

Charger will be not connected to Kazula portal in both situations.

Question is, how I can use it smart options without Kazula portal? 

Kaluza would need to create a new account when you move the charger, and to then disable exports, This would allow you to continue to have the smart functionality to set schedules, set a maximum state of charge, Boosting via the app etc..

Thank you Tim

It’s very useful. I decide to not move for now, but it’s good to know. 

in emails from OVO they don’t says about that I can still use Kazula portal without export credits. ( in case moving or sales the house) 

Regards

Userlevel 7

Glad to hear we’ve managed to help with your decision, @TomekS.

Just to clarify - when you mention the emails from OVO, was this the email you recently received from the Smart Home team? If so we can can certainly pass on this feedback to make sure it’s made clearer in future. :slight_smile:

Hi Jess

I will double check from who, but I think yes.

Different question regarding export credits. 

Export is counting for me all day (from solar panels) or only when car export from 4 pm? 

If usage meter shows minus use then my usage meter  counting backwards? or stay still and is counting export ? 

Regards

Userlevel 7

Another great question, @TomekS - wonder if any of our other V2G members might be able to help with this one - @sylm_2000, @Jequinlan, @MrPuds?

If not I can certainly take this one to the team!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think I can answer part of this latest question, to a certain degree.

This is based on what I know about Raichu (S2 Aclara SGM1411-B) and the way that it would handle exports if it was configured to allow them.

If there’s a + symbol on the display such as -A or -R, this indicates that the meter is detecting electricity being exported back to the grid. On the flip side, +A or +R means the meter is detecting electricity being imported from the grid. Imports and exports are tracked separately and metering for whichever direction is not the active one right now will be paused, since you can’t really be exporting and importing at the same time. :wink:

However, if the meter detects unauthorised exports (mainly if it’s set up for Import-Only), this would trigger a Reverse Run alert - an icon would appear on the display, an event is generated in the logs and the meter may also send an alert to the supplier in some cases. It can’t be cleared locally - only the supplier can reset a Reverse Run alarm once it’s triggered.

As long as your meter is set up to properly track import and export, it will make sure that only the relevant register clocks anything based on what's currently happening.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Good question @Jess_OVO - I think an expert view would be warranted here.

I agree with the principles @Blastoise186 shares above however I always found mismatch between the app and (smart) meter reading. I did raise the same question a while back and response was the meter reading is accurate and accounts for both Solar exports + V2G exports.

Forum has a very good user guide on smart meters to check export/import information.

On that basis, Kaluza app should reflect only the V2G export?

Userlevel 7

Some great follow-up questions there, @TomekS.

In terms of the export payments applying for both solar and energy export via your V2G charger, there’s some great info on this here - 

As long as you’ve opted out of other export payments (eg Feed-In Tariff or Smart Export Guarantee) you’ll get V2G export payments for all the energy you export (so from both your car and your solar panels) although this will be at a different rate than V2G export payments for non-solar members.

Some great advice from @Blastoise186 and @sylm_2000 on checking the export data using your meter, there’s more advice on how to do this on our S1 or S2 smart meter guides.

And an important point you’ve made there about the discrepancy between the export figures showing on the app vs the meter, @sylm_2000 - I’ve taken this one to the team to confirm whether this is explained by whether or not the solar panel export amount is included. Bear with me as I’ll pop back once I know more. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In actual fact, it’s worth mentioning this here as well, since it is pretty important.

If you’ve got any kind of export capability set up, such as an approved V2G, Battery Storage, FiT or SEG arrangement etc. and you ever notice your electricity meter(s) show errors or warnings such as rEd (Reverse Energy Detected), Reverse Run, Reverse Energy or an icon on the display that has something like an arrow that loops around and back on itself - PLEASE let your supplier know as soon as possible!

Oh, and if you ever spot your meter clocking backwards at all for any reason, please report this too, regardless of whether you do exports or not! A backwards clocking meter is a really bad thing and just about every supplier will appreciate your honesty.

While these are usually a fraud detection warning to identify cases of someone deliberately attempting to force the meter to clock backwards, they’re not valid alerts in the case of legitimate exports. These phantom warnings can get confusing and can sometimes spam the event logs on Smart Meters or the alert logs of the supplier, or potentially damage some older meters if left unfixed.

Simply let your supplier know and they’ll be happy to help. Fixing these phantom warnings is a free service offered by all suppliers but it may require a Meter Exchange in some cases. Your supplier can take a look and they’ll work with you on the best solution.

Userlevel 7

And an important point you’ve made there about the discrepancy between the export figures showing on the app vs the meter, @sylm_2000 - I’ve taken this one to the team to confirm whether this is explained by whether or not the solar panel export amount is included. Bear with me as I’ll pop back once I know more. :slight_smile:

So - heard back from the team and your assumptions were correct, @sylm_2000. The app will show what’s been exported from the battery in your EV  but this will vary from the export value shown on the meter as some energy exported from the car will be used in the home and any energy exported from your solar panels to the grid will also be included here.

Your V2G export payments will be based on the export figure on the meter (which could be a combination of energy exported from your EV as well as your solar panels). Does that make sense, @TomekS ?