Solved

Why the increase in my monthly Direct Debit? Not what I was quoted!

• 5 September 2017
  • 20 replies

I am not at all happy that OVO have adjusted my DD to £171 which is over £100 more per month. I sent a message saying I was not happy with this and annoyed that I could only decrease it to £154 per month. I AM NOT IN DEBT on my account as I paid off arrears. I then changed to a suggested offer 2 year fixed which came up with a monthly payment of £90 which is more acceptable to me but it is still showing my new DD as £171. I am not prepared to pay this amount each month and would like it changing please.
How can this massive hike be justified?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 September 2017, 18:45

Thanks for the update @Wbryan @Hellovo

Our aim is to get you to your contract end date with a £0 balance. This page outlines the thought process in place for setting this ideal Direct Debit: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review. Also you can always check and adjust that Direct Debit on My OVO!

Tim
View original

20 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm also really annoyed by the amount OVO has asked me to pay monthly. Having finished last year over£300 in credit being asked to pay 25% more than an amount agreed at the start of my 2 year fixed contract is not fair.
I too am extremely unhappy about the increase in my Direct Debit as I am over £100 in Credit. Ovo agree with me it is an error on their part but again I am emailed again to remind me to increase my Direct Debit. I am looking to leave OVO but is it right that I will have to pay to have the smart meter removed and £60 for duel fuel.
Dear me they are certainly not living up to my first year it's blackmail to stay !!

Wbryan
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm having a similar experience. Ovo have arbitrarily hiked my DD by 25% arguing that my account will be o/d by year end. I understand they calculate this based on assumptions of consumption, dividing the cost over the four months remaining. To me this ignores my actual consumption from 2 years with Ovo and my own records before that. I can only assume they are trying to boost the balances they hold of our money for their own reasons.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @unhappy @Pat Moore @Wbryan @Hellovo,

The most common reason for a Direct Debit increase is if a customer's account has fallen into debt, has been below one month's credit or if we’ve billed to estimate readings for a considerable amount of time.

Alongside this though, the forecasted usage might mean that the Direct Debit needs to be increased to ensure that it’s covering the customer's usage for the year, to avoid them slipping into a negative balance. This link: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review helps to explain things a bit better.

Would be great to have your thoughts on this @Emma_G @stateofit @sam_cat.

Lucy
I was told it was a fault in your algorithm. I am over £100 in credit so no arrears. I am not below one months credit and I don't take meter readings as have a smart meter. So am fixed price for 2 years so why oh why are my payments to be increased. Oh I have certainly been sold up the river by OVO.
Userlevel 2
The algs are all over the place, my prediction chart bounces the recommended line up and down all the time.

Currently looks like this:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/iFMnW2bl.png[/img]
Give it a few days and it will be back to suggesting £150 DD again
Userlevel 1
Badge
Must polish up the algorithms! My predicted consumption is wild. Two letters received suggesting increase DD. Must be computer generated so ignored. A/c well in credit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Hellovo @sam_cat @Wbryan - what's the latest on this? It would be really helpful if you could advise each other on any developments, as you're describing the same thing here.

^Tim
Having spoken again to OVO they will look at my usage again in December. But what I can't understand when you are fixed price why make me pay more Direct Debit as my usage is the same as last year and am over £100 in credit with £71 going in every month. Am I going mad or are their figures wrong URGH !
Userlevel 1
Badge
Latest statement confirms consumption even on Ovo estimates and also that DD remains unchanged. Letters suggest a considerable hike in payments. As an OAP I find the Winter Fuel allowance useful for topping up a/c if necessary. Keep calm & carry on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for the update @Wbryan @Hellovo

Our aim is to get you to your contract end date with a £0 balance. This page outlines the thought process in place for setting this ideal Direct Debit: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review. Also you can always check and adjust that Direct Debit on My OVO!

Tim
I joined OVO in January giving full details of previous usage and was given a charge. I have received email asking to increase my dd. I don't understand, I am in credit and we have had the hottest summer for years. Would someone please explain, I am struggling to understand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@MARY2180 we want to get you to your contract end date with a £0 balance.

The link in the 'best answer' explains how we work this out ^^^^^^ here it is again: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review.
I’ve always thought OVO were straight shooters, but having doubts.
despite not giving permission they have increased my DD by over £50 per month.
ive been on Uswitch and Using the same usage figures can save £717 a year by going over to Lumo.
Now before we all go on about small companies etc, turns out Lumo are owned by OVO.
Are OVO becoming one of the big 6 or 7 or 8 ??

there is a price difference in kWh charges etc, so how can this be ?

feeling a bit disenchanted with OVO. just now.
Userlevel 5
Your Direct Debit (DD) can change any time, @Claymore61, the rates you pay are fixed but not the DD. Take a look at Tim's best answer for more information.

Lumo is an app only service powered by OVO Energy, it's part of the OVO family just like Boost. The prices across all brands may be different. If you've got smart meters, you won't be able to switch to Lumo.
I fixed my 82 year old stepdad's electricity in January of this year to a 2 year fixed deal of £56 per month. I have been contacted by OVO for the first time and they have said that he is not paying enough and now needs to pay £244 per month. He lives in a small two bedroom house on his own. I thought that a fixed rate is fixed? Can anyone help?
Userlevel 5
Hey @gillygirl1971,

Take a read through this topic, you'll find the answer you need here. Sometimes we can make a mistake in the calculations.

If you're named on the account send us a message on Twitter or Facebook with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media, just email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.
Hey @gillygirl1971,

Take a read through this topic, you'll find the answer you need here. Sometimes we can make a mistake in the calculations.

If you're named on the account send us a message on Twitter or Facebook with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media, just email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.
Hi I have sent two emails since 13 May on this issue with my stepdads bills but have heard nothing back. I need this investigated as soon as possible
Userlevel 2
I'm sorry to hear this @gillygirl1971!

At the very least you should've been getting a DPA fail response from us, due to the possibility you're not named on the account.

The best thing to do, would be to get the account holder to contact us directly, via the methods mentioned above, or on the following number
0330 3035063, between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Let us know how you get on!

All the best.