Why has my Direct Debit amount changed?

Show first post

158 replies

@Transparent , @Darran_OVO , @Rooty , @Amy_OVO , @LOZ77 , @Rooty , HMB ,
chippy419 , MartynA , lovebaseball , GTurner.
Within the past four months (page six of this forum) we have all commented on reviews to direct debits.
I have been confused about the recommendations that I have been advised to alter my direct debits to in six months altering it from between three times the initial amount to half the initial amount. At the moment my direct debit is on hold.
After a lot of emails to hello@ovoenergy asking for clarification on the direct debit calculations I have received the following information to my recent email to them;

Thanks for getting back in touch,
You are correct, and I have passed your comments on to the relevant team.

The email I sent is;
I think that I may now better understand how the differences in the indicated costs for previous months on the Payments and Balance charts arise.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1/. When reading the chart in July I assumed that the costs shown for the previous months, January to June, were for historic data collected for these months.
This assumption is incorrect.

2/. The projected costs for the current and future months, August to December, were based on calculations which took into account the variables you mention.

3/. These variables are also applied retrospectively to the previous months and are triggered when a Statement is issued or a Payment made.

4/. The values are hypothetical and possibly based on not the best of algorithms but do influence the calculations for the Recommended Direct Debit payments.

5/. These hypothetical values bare no resemblance to the Monthly values shown on the Usage chart or the costs calculated on the Statements.

6/. Perhaps these limitations should be clearly stated on the Payments and Balance chart.

At least now we have a little more information about the direct debit calculation algorithm.
I am sure there could be a simpler one.

Grandfather Maxwell
As a result of more emails to the my OVO team I have received some information about the recommended Direct Debit alterations.
If you are on a single rate tariff, are not in debt, have not missed any D.D. payments and provide frequent regular meter readings you should have no problems.
If you are in arrears or have missed a payment you can expect the Collection Team's correspondence informing you of increased D.D payments. (If you contact them they will try and help to resolve problems).
So why do I have a problem with fluctuating Direct Debit recommendations on the OVO website ?
I have a smart, smets1, meter which provides daily readings to OVO and have an Economy 7 two rate tariff.
This combination seems to confuse the system resulting in the multitudinous recommendations for D.Ds.
The solution is quite simple - to allow OVO to record half hourly meter readings to which I have agreed.
Seems a bit strange to me that in the distant past a quarterly visit by the meter reader worked fine and in the recent past monthly meter readings submitted by me worked fine, albeit with a different supplier, but I suppose this is progress.
It will now take a month to process this data and produce a meaningful result for D.D recommendations.
So enjoy life until September but then watch this space.

Grandfather Maxwell
Userlevel 5
Badge
Thanks for the update, @Grandfather Maxwell, I'm glad there seems to be some resolution at present, lets hope it continues. ☺
There seems to be little or no resolution.
It is now September and OVO have had over a month to record my smart meter readings every half hour so that they can produce more accurate predictions of my future usage. (Their idea not mine). They are still regularly advising me to change the amount of the Direct Debit.

My latest rant is because on 17th. September the Recommended amount was £14 which is ridiculously low and increased it to £67 on 26th September.
I have had no statement or made no payments in this period. My current balance has remained constant at £248. We have had some rain but no great weather events, the temperature is average for this time of year, the storage radiators are still switched off and my usage, as it has been for the last three months, is around 15 kWhs a day.
So what in the OVO system triggers these recommended changes?
The reply from OVO:

Thank you for taking the time to email us today.
I understand that on your online account it shows the recommended amount, however, this has not taking into account the credit that is on your account currently.
We will only state that its a recommended amount, however your current direct debit of £164 per month is covering your usage.
I do apologise for any inconvenience caused
I hope this has been helpful.

So what in the OVO system triggers these recommended changes?
I would have thought it reasonable to ask for a DD of one-twelfth of my forecast annual cost (based on my last three years) and this has normally been my experience. So why when I am paying £88 a month on a forecast usage of £963 am I being asked to pay £120 a month? My current payment is surely enough.
croissantneuf
I have been pursuing this problem with Ovo all of this year with many excuses by them for, but no explanation of the reasons for, the frequent changes to the Recommended Direct Debit payments.
The advice they give is to ignore these "Recommendations" but this does not really satisfy me as THEY can increase the amount if I do not comply.
To quote them,
"We also regularly review customers' Direct Debit amounts and yours may be updated in the future."

Grandfather Maxwell
Grandfather Maxwell I think I'm due an explanation. It's not complicated in my case, just wrong.