Solved

Why has a Direct Debit been taken after I've left OVO?

• 12 March 2019
  • 9 replies

I changed supplier from OVO on the 16/01/19, to avoid a substantial price increase at the end of my fixed tariff.

I was almost £400 in credit and a further direct debit payment of £125 was taken after I left. I have since cancelled the direct debit to avoid paying two suppliers simultaneously.

Unfortunately nobody at OVO is interested in acknowledging, progressing or updating on emails or complaints. I am now in limbo, waiting for the date where I can make my complaint via the Ombudsman.

It is clear from other entries on the forum that this is not an issue that OVO is serious about tackling, whilst sitting on a large amount of their former customers money.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 20 March 2019, 13:28

Hi @Mickey,

It sounds like your account is still in the 'validation' phase of switching after having joined a new supplier.

During this period, you provide opening meter readings to your new supplier, which they then have to check with us. We make sure they fall in line with your previous reading history, and once agreed, we can create your final bills to the same readings the new company will start billing you from. This ensures you don't pay for any energy twice.

This process can take up to 6 weeks. Your final bills for gas and electricity will be sent separately, and until both have been issued, your account with us is still technically open. We wouldn't cancel your payments from our end until it's fully closed, but you're perfectly entitled to cancel your Direct Debit via your bank once we're no longer your supplier. Once both final bills have been issued, we'll automatically send a refund of any remaining credit in your account, which will be back in your bank account within 7 to 10 working days.

If you've escalated a complaint, the Complaints team will be in touch about this after having looked into it for you.

Hope this helps.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Mickey,

It sounds like your account is still in the 'validation' phase of switching after having joined a new supplier.

During this period, you provide opening meter readings to your new supplier, which they then have to check with us. We make sure they fall in line with your previous reading history, and once agreed, we can create your final bills to the same readings the new company will start billing you from. This ensures you don't pay for any energy twice.

This process can take up to 6 weeks. Your final bills for gas and electricity will be sent separately, and until both have been issued, your account with us is still technically open. We wouldn't cancel your payments from our end until it's fully closed, but you're perfectly entitled to cancel your Direct Debit via your bank once we're no longer your supplier. Once both final bills have been issued, we'll automatically send a refund of any remaining credit in your account, which will be back in your bank account within 7 to 10 working days.

If you've escalated a complaint, the Complaints team will be in touch about this after having looked into it for you.

Hope this helps.
Mickey,

I feel your pain, I am in the exact some boat and reading this forum it appears we could be in for a long wait. I expect for me the problem will be down to having a Smart meter, as the Ovo website does not allow the customer to submit the same final meter reading to Ovo and the new supplier. Also the Smart generation 1 meter is now defunct, that was a waste of tax payers money!

I also expect that the interest payment will not be included while Ovo holds our money after the account closed.

Good luck,
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @stockers80 - as mentioned above, the industry process is to provide the opening reading to the new supplier, and it's then passed back to us. We wouldn't ask you for the final reading directly.

Your interest reward will be paid on any credit balance carried over from your last statement, and will be calculated up to your loss date.
Hello - I switched my account as your prices went up and I had to find a new supplier. I did this back in Feb and I'm paying my new supplier - OVO are still collecting Direct Debit payments. How do I stop this please and optain an urgent refund - my account is almost £600 in credit
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@david12345

I would highly recommend you cancel your direct debit with OVO and call OVO customer support. Access to accounts via forums can be limited. I would recommend you call OVO on this number

Number: 0330 303 5063
I am leaving OVO. My next DD falls within the changeover period but before my new supplier takes effect. Will OVO still take this DD even though I'm in credit?
Hi,

I dont understand this... I left OVO in April but they are still taking DD and when i try to get the refund it denied me.

Can some one from customer service get in touch with me please ?
** edited by moderator**
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey, @Paulojf, check out @Nancy_OVO's best answer at the top of the thread.

Cheers ☺
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @zigh, please check out @Nancy_OVO's best answer, above.