Solved

Why has a Direct Debit been taken after I've left OVO?

• 12 March 2019
  • 16 replies

I changed supplier from OVO on the 16/01/19, to avoid a substantial price increase at the end of my fixed tariff.

I was almost £400 in credit and a further direct debit payment of £125 was taken after I left. I have since cancelled the direct debit to avoid paying two suppliers simultaneously.

Unfortunately nobody at OVO is interested in acknowledging, progressing or updating on emails or complaints. I am now in limbo, waiting for the date where I can make my complaint via the Ombudsman.

It is clear from other entries on the forum that this is not an issue that OVO is serious about tackling, whilst sitting on a large amount of their former customers money.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 20 March 2019, 13:28

Hi @Mickey,

It sounds like your account is still in the 'validation' phase of switching after having joined a new supplier.

During this period, you provide opening meter readings to your new supplier, which they then have to check with us. We make sure they fall in line with your previous reading history, and once agreed, we can create your final bills to the same readings the new company will start billing you from. This ensures you don't pay for any energy twice.

This process can take up to 6 weeks. Your final bills for gas and electricity will be sent separately, and until both have been issued, your account with us is still technically open. We wouldn't cancel your payments from our end until it's fully closed, but you're perfectly entitled to cancel your Direct Debit via your bank once we're no longer your supplier. Once both final bills have been issued, we'll automatically send a refund of any remaining credit in your account, which will be back in your bank account within 7 to 10 working days.

If you've escalated a complaint, the Complaints team will be in touch about this after having looked into it for you.

Hope this helps.
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Mickey,

It sounds like your account is still in the 'validation' phase of switching after having joined a new supplier.

During this period, you provide opening meter readings to your new supplier, which they then have to check with us. We make sure they fall in line with your previous reading history, and once agreed, we can create your final bills to the same readings the new company will start billing you from. This ensures you don't pay for any energy twice.

This process can take up to 6 weeks. Your final bills for gas and electricity will be sent separately, and until both have been issued, your account with us is still technically open. We wouldn't cancel your payments from our end until it's fully closed, but you're perfectly entitled to cancel your Direct Debit via your bank once we're no longer your supplier. Once both final bills have been issued, we'll automatically send a refund of any remaining credit in your account, which will be back in your bank account within 7 to 10 working days.

If you've escalated a complaint, the Complaints team will be in touch about this after having looked into it for you.

Hope this helps.
Mickey,

I feel your pain, I am in the exact some boat and reading this forum it appears we could be in for a long wait. I expect for me the problem will be down to having a Smart meter, as the Ovo website does not allow the customer to submit the same final meter reading to Ovo and the new supplier. Also the Smart generation 1 meter is now defunct, that was a waste of tax payers money!

I also expect that the interest payment will not be included while Ovo holds our money after the account closed.

Good luck,
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @stockers80 - as mentioned above, the industry process is to provide the opening reading to the new supplier, and it's then passed back to us. We wouldn't ask you for the final reading directly.

Your interest reward will be paid on any credit balance carried over from your last statement, and will be calculated up to your loss date.
Hello - I switched my account as your prices went up and I had to find a new supplier. I did this back in Feb and I'm paying my new supplier - OVO are still collecting Direct Debit payments. How do I stop this please and optain an urgent refund - my account is almost £600 in credit
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@david12345

I would highly recommend you cancel your direct debit with OVO and call OVO customer support. Access to accounts via forums can be limited. I would recommend you call OVO on this number

Number: 0330 303 5063
I am leaving OVO. My next DD falls within the changeover period but before my new supplier takes effect. Will OVO still take this DD even though I'm in credit?
Hi,

I dont understand this... I left OVO in April but they are still taking DD and when i try to get the refund it denied me.

Can some one from customer service get in touch with me please ?
** edited by moderator**
Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey, @Paulojf, check out @Nancy_OVO's best answer at the top of the thread.

Cheers ☺
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @zigh, please check out @Nancy_OVO's best answer, above.
Hi,
My last consumption day with OVO, was on the 12th of August and I just checked my bank account and 90£ were deducted, could you please explain what it's going on?
On top of that my balance is + 59.10£ which I would like to be transfered to my bank account ASAP.
You guys were my service provider for 2 years and my payments were always on time and now out of nowhere you guys take 90£ out of my bank account?
This is unacceptable and I hope this situation is resolved today before I talk with my lawyer.

Thanks.

Joao Brunheira
Userlevel 5
Badge
I've moved you post here, @Joaoricardo99, please check out @Nancy_OVO's best answer above.

Thanks!
I am currently switching from OVO. I have given final meter readings today both to my new supplier and OVO. My latest statement from OVO which I received last week was based on estimated readings which were overestimated and are still higher than my actual readings today. My account is currently £120 in credit. My direct debit date with OVO is 27th. Based on all of the above I am minded to cancel my direct debit now to avoid any future problems. My question is will OVO still refund my credit balance into my bank account if I no longer have an active direct debit set up
Userlevel 5
Badge
In short yes, @ACN, we will refund any outstanding credit via BAC's payments after the readings have been validated and the accounts been close, this can take up to six weeks more info here.

You may get a reminder to restart your Direct Debit, once you cancel it, please just ignore these, they are automatic when an account is still live with us.

Thanks!
Thank you for your reply. Most helpful

So i have had a final bill after giving a reading. OVO has continued to take money by DD out of my account (I have now cancelled this) basically I want my money please. I have called and was told this would be sorted. I will be contacting the bank next to see how to escalate the complaint

Userlevel 5
Badge

Please check out the best answer above, @Bobski, if you’ve had your final statement, any remaining credit will be refunded soon. 

Thanks!