Solved

Why can't I get a refund even though I've submitted readings and been billed?

• 9 January 2019
  • 13 replies

Why can’t I have a refund I’m £292 in credit. Clearly I have all meter readings and statement????

icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 10 January 2019, 11:22

Hi @Joanne

Welcome to the Forum! 🙂 Hopefully this will answer your question

I’m in credit and I’ve just had a bill - why can’t I get a refund?

Estimated readings! If the bill the customer’s received is showing estimated readings, the system won’t allow a refund. We will estimate a reading when one isn’t provided the day before the statement date (assuming they don’t have a working smart meter). This will be estimated from the last reading submitted, based on the average usage of the property.

If you have both gas and electricity with OVO, check that both have been billed in your recent statement. If only one supply has been billed, this will prevent a refund.

How can you refund me credit if I cancel my Direct Debit at the bank?

When we set up a Direct Debit agreement, it leaves a record on the system. By cancelling at the bank to stop the payment arrangement, the agreement is left intact ie. we still have your bank details on record, just no permission to extract further funds.

Why do I have to leave some money in my OVO account?

If you’re on a fixed price tariff, you pay in advance for your energy so you’ll need to leave one month’s Direct Debit in your account ready for your next bill. For example if you have £170 on your account and your Direct Debit is £70, provided you’ve been billed to actual readings, you’ll be able to get a refund of up to £100. If you’re on our variable tariff however, you don’t need to maintain a balance on your account and can have a refund of all credit leftover.

Why is my final refund taking so long?

Getting your final bill and closing your account is a different process to a normal refund. We need to wait for your new supplier to send your first readings to us. This ensures there’s no overlap in the energy you’ve paid for. This process can take up to 6 weeks, after which your final refund will follow in 3 to 5 working days. So overall, after switching away you’re looking at a maximum time frame of 7 weeks to receive your refund.

Is there a minimum and maximum refund amount?

The minimum we can refund is £25. There isn’t technically a maximum, but for refunds of £600 or over, we may need to double check the readings are correct before issuing. This usually involves sending a photo of each meter reading to hello@ovoenergy.com.

Please let us know how you get on🙂
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @Joanne

Estimated readings! If the bill the customer’s received is showing estimated readings, the system won’t allow a refund. We will estimate a reading when one isn’t provided the day before the statement date (assuming they don’t have a working smart meter). This will be estimated from the last reading submitted, based on the average usage of the property.

If you have both gas and electricity with OVO, check that both have been billed in your recent statement. If only one supply has been billed, this will prevent a refund.

When we set up a Direct Debit agreement, it leaves a record on the system. By cancelling at the bank to stop the payment arrangement, the agreement is left intact ie. we still have your bank details on record, just no permission to extract further funds.

If you’re on a fixed price tariff, you pay in advance for your energy so you’ll need to leave one month’s Direct Debit in your account ready for your next bill. For example if you have £170 on your account and your Direct Debit is £70, provided you’ve been billed to actual readings, you’ll be able to get a refund of up to £100. If you’re on our variable tariff however, you don’t need to maintain a balance on your account and can have a refund of all credit leftover.

Getting your final bill and closing your account is a different process to a normal refund. We need to wait for your new supplier to send your first readings to us. This ensures there’s no overlap in the energy you’ve paid for. This process can take up to 6 weeks, after which your final refund will follow in 3 to 5 working days. So overall, after switching away you’re looking at a maximum time frame of 7 weeks to receive your refund.

The minimum we can refund is £25. There isn’t technically a maximum, but for refunds of £600 or over, we may need to double check the readings are correct before issuing. This usually involves sending a photo of each meter reading to hello@ovoenergy.com.

Many thanks but It’s saying I’m not authorised to see the link. I have seen the criteria for a refund and I’m sure I fit it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Many thanks but It’s saying I’m not authorised to see the link. I have seen the criteria for a refund and I’m sure I fit it.

Sorry I have paste the page 😀
Hi @Joanne

Thanks
Consider yourself lucky. I left OVO in December with an account £480 in credit. Each month since they have continued to take money by Direct Debit and so I am now £750 in credit. I can't get them to answer the phone or email.

This part of the OVO service is extremely poor and I would recommend anyone else to avoid OVO like the plague.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@jamescathycoleman I have answered this post here on another Topic
My account is £900 in credit. I’ve tried to apply for a refund. But it’s saying I have to have had meter readings for the last 28 days, and had a statement. I had meter readings on 13th Feb, and a statement on the 19th Feb. And I have a smart meter.

I really don’t understand, and I’m very annoyed.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
My account is £900 in credit. I’ve tried to apply for a refund. But it’s saying I have to have had meter readings for the last 28 days, and had a statement. I had meter readings on 13th Feb, and a statement on the 19th Feb. And I have a smart meter.

See the best answer at the top @Bssuz - it will be something that's stopping this refund, but we can sort it! You can send over an email to chase up if it's still not been done: hello@ovoenergy.com
I have been refused repayment although I qualify by the criteria laid down by OVO. I have readings and a statement, all within the last 28 days but I do not qualify according to the system. Why?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @COTSWOLDPUFFIN - I've moved your post onto this thread where you can find more information about refund criteria. Let me know if you have any more questions!
I wish to obtain a refund. The system says I can't have one because there needs to have been meter readings and a statement within the last 28 days. However both readings and the production of a statement have hppened within the last week. Do Ovo simply want to keep my money?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @phil24 - I've moved your post over here where you can find loads of info about refunds!