Solved

Why can't I change my Direct Debit within the first 3 months?

• 29 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello...

I have recently joined ovo but some what confused to the direct debit amount set up on my account, when I did quote on the website the amount it was coming up with £25 per month but I am 10 days into my new property and my in home display is telling me I have already spent £20, I am unable to change my direct debit amount until three months time therefore my account will be in debt and I don't feel like I should have to top up my own account and keep and eye on the amount I am spending isn't that the point of a direct debit, If anyone can help or know how to change this without contacting ovo so I don't lose my 3% reward - I would leave if this can't be changed to EDF they have quoted me £80 per month but at least my account would be credit when winter comes around

Again any help would be appreciated

Ashley
icon

Best answer by Transparent 29 April 2019, 13:12

Ah... ok. Thanks for the clarifications @ashleywhufc

Firstly, this isn't something you can resolve yourself online because you're being prevented from doing so. Therefore you can't lose the SSR by contacting Customer Services.

Secondly, since you know there's going to be a shortfall, I'd suggest you handle it by adding one-off capital payments to the account. Lots of us leave our accounts with a healthy positive balance because OVO pay 3% interest (in the first year).

Remember that the quantities shown on your IHD include daily standing charges and VAT at 5%

Remember to check My OVO in the future, for any Direct Debit changes you want to make.

More info on how they calculate the Direct Debit here
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @ashleywhufc Welcome to OVO.

£25 sounds extremely low for a domestic direct debit! I think lots of us would like to hear about the stunning energy efficiency measures in your new house! 😀

We'd need to know a bit more about your Smart Meter and IHD (installation date etc) to know if the £20 reported usage is accurate. Some aren't.

I don't know why you say you can't change your Direct Debit for 3 months. The Consumer Rights Act gives you 14 days cooling off period on any new Contract. If you've only been at the property ten days, you have the legal right to request any changes or even leave the entire Contract and start again!

I suggest you email hello@ovoenergy.com and ask Customer Services to reassess the DD estimate based on your first 10 days of Smart Meter readings.

Have a look at this Help-page about how DDs are calculated.
Hello again

I should of been a little bit more specific - The day I agreed to the switch over was the 4th of April and supply started on the 18th April and currently siting at 101.1 kWh total usage 29/04/19 so currently around then 22 pound mark so I am over the 14 day cooling off period due to it being so long ago, As far as I am aware I cant leave due to the £30 pound cancellation fee that I dont really want to pay to leave, If I email or contact ovo I will lose the rewards so I am really between and rock and hard place - Anymore help would be appreciated
I also get this message:

You'll need to have been on supply with OVO for 3 months so we can calculate how much energy you'll use within an average month. Once we have this data we'll review your amount and contact you if an adjustment is needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah... ok. Thanks for the clarifications @ashleywhufc

Firstly, this isn't something you can resolve yourself online because you're being prevented from doing so. Therefore you can't lose the SSR by contacting Customer Services.

Secondly, since you know there's going to be a shortfall, I'd suggest you handle it by adding one-off capital payments to the account. Lots of us leave our accounts with a healthy positive balance because OVO pay 3% interest (in the first year).

Remember that the quantities shown on your IHD include daily standing charges and VAT at 5%

Remember to check My OVO in the future, for any Direct Debit changes you want to make.

More info on how they calculate the Direct Debit here