Solved

Why are OVO continuing to take money after the account is closed?

Has anyone else had this problem? We moved away from OVO at the end of December 2018 but they have continued to take money via Direct Debit for the last 2 months.

Effectively they have now stolen approximately £750 of my money.

I cannot get them to reply by email or by phone. In the meantime I am recommending other potential customers to avoid OVO and I suggest that anyone else on this message board does the same.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 7 February 2020, 16:35

Hi @Gill Sadler,

It sounds like you’re missing one of your final bills from us. They normally come through to you within 4 to 6 weeks from your switch date, however a delay this long suggests we’re missing some important information necessary for creating them. Some of the info is supplied by your new provider, some is confirmed by the energy industry. The likelihood is we’re chasing this up.

There’s more info on this topic, this topic, this topic and this topic

If you haven’t had a final bill then the team would advise leaving some credit in your account to cover this.

Thanks

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@jamescathycoleman I have responded to your Topic here
same with us , £1100 they have of ours- still no response
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @seriously annoyed - have you checked out the link @Transparent posted above?

We cancelled our account with OVO in March 2019, switched to a cheaper Energy company and received a rebate of over £1,200 from OVO.  Great - you’d think!  We took a look at our bank statement last Saturday to find they had been taking £204 each month from the date of cancellation - £2,001.37 they had taken without our consent. 

Tried ringing OVO on Saturday, closed until Monday.  We therefore emailed on the Saturday, followed by  telephone call to OVO customer services on Monday.  My husband spoke to a lady by the name of Kitty requesting she speak with myself.  Long, long story short they are still refusing to speak with me - well, apart from one gentleman who I managed to speak with yesterday who advised that £1,836 had been refunded back into our account (this was the first we knew that a repayment had been made) but that they had retained £165.37 to covering remaining charges????  I’ve asked for an explanation as it seems very odd that they had refunded monies when we switched suppliers?  How can we possibly owe more monies?  We’ve received no explanation as to what these outstanding monies are for, no offer of compensation, no offer of refunding the INTEREST our money was making whilst stood in OVOs account!  Absolutely fuming and fully intend making an official complaint to the Ombudsman.  Disgraceful - and by the way we were paying £204 a month to OVO whereas we now only pay £98 a month to the new supplier!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Aagh! - What a nightmare @Gill Sadler !

Firstly I strongly advise contacting OVO by email to hello@ovoenergy.co.uk instead of telephone. Not only will this obviate the need for ID checks, but you also get to retain a dated copy of everything you’ve complained about.

Secondly, you’re going to find it difficult to get to the Energy Ombudsman unless you’ve already exhausted the Complaints Process. Have a look at what I wrote about this over here on another Topic.

We've been in email correspondence from day one. We fully intend taking this further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I understand @Gill Sadler - but then I’m puzzled why the Energy Ombudsman doesn’t already have the case. OVO’s Complaints Procedure has only two steps in it. If the issue remains unresolved 8-weeks after step-2, then the Ombudsman regards the case as “deadlocked” whether or not you have received notification to state that.

Personally I’m surprised that OVO haven’t resolved this months ago. They have the lowest stats in the industry for cases referred to the Ombudsman.

And can I point out that you will automatically receive Interest on credit in your account. OVO pay this at 3% in the first 12 months of a Contract, and 4% the year after that. The Ombudsman has no jurisdiction over interest, and the standard award for compensation is around £50 if the case goes against the Energy Supplier.

I suspect that OVO would rather pay this outright rather than let the Ombudsman rule against them.

Let us know if there’s anything you need help with.

And you should provide the web reference to this Forum Topic in future emails to OVO Customer Support. It may help bring clarity.

Thank you for this.  They’ve repaid £1,836 but withheld £165.37, no explanation why this amount has been withheld, no apology, offer of compensation and certainly no mention of any interest that must have accrued.  I will keep you updated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Gill Sadler,

It sounds like you’re missing one of your final bills from us. They normally come through to you within 4 to 6 weeks from your switch date, however a delay this long suggests we’re missing some important information necessary for creating them. Some of the info is supplied by your new provider, some is confirmed by the energy industry. The likelihood is we’re chasing this up.

There’s more info on this topic, this topic, this topic and this topic

If you haven’t had a final bill then the team would advise leaving some credit in your account to cover this.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah, yes. That makes much more sense @Nancy_OVO. I should’ve thought of that.

@Gill Sadler- the Relinquishing Energy Supplier can’t issue a Final Bill until they receive the necessary Notification from the relevant body that administers the meter database. That’s ECOES for electricity and Xoserve for gas.

It is the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to steer this process.

Several years ago I took a Receiving Supplier to the Ombudsman because they insisted that the Relinquishing Supplier should have taken some unspecified action. The Ombudsman disagreed with them, instructed them to apologise to me and pay a token amount of compensation.

🤔 surely a rebate is paid out AFTER the final payment is made?? Not sure what unformation OVO were missing or why OVO  'stole" £204 a month from the date we switched supplier?? Something in writing might have helped!!  How can you take sums totalling £2,001.37 without a mention of an apology, explanation, interest owed or compensation!! Can you imagine how much interest they're making if they are doing the same to others?? If I were to steal cash from my employer, i'd be sacked, arrested and taken to Court! Disgraceful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s precisely the issue @Gill Sadler - the monetary settlement (rebate) comes after the final payment is made.

The issue which @Nancy_OVO picked up on is that you haven’t been issued with one or both of the Final Bills. This may look like any other invoice, but it is a much more important document than you might suppose.

A Final Bill is effectively the legal end-point of the Contract you first agreed with OVO Energy. They are only able to generate it once they receive the relevant Notification from ECOES and Xoserve. And they, in turn, will not issue that Notification to OVO until all the boxes are ticked in the Switch-process.

There are many things that get checked when you switch, any one of which can halt the Notification system until it is resolved. It’s not just a matter of confirming the final meter readings. For example, the Gas Meter serial number is verified against the MPRN and your street address.

If this were not so, then it becomes possible for a mistake which results in the wrong meter being taken over. I have personal experience of this. I once ended up receiving bills for a meter which was actually in a farm cottage about a mile away!

You need to get back in touch with your new Supplier and ask them to check your meter details against the records being held by ECOES and Xoserve. I suspect that they’ll find a Notification which got overlooked during the switch process.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Gill Sadler,

I’ve you’ve been waiting much longer than the usual time frame for your bill and refund, we may be able to agree on a partial refund. Please call the team on 0330 303 5063 to discuss this.

Thanks

I received my initial refund last March when I switched! OVO have repaid just over £1,800 of the £2,001.37 they 'stole' from my account - retaining the remander as these are monies we apparently owe - BUT ... NO MENTION OF ANY REPAYMENT OF THE INTEREST THEY HAVE ACCRUED ON OUR MONIES ILLEGALLY TAKEN FROM OUR ACCOUNT FOR NEARLY 12 MONTHS.  We are completely fed up.