Solved

Why am I still waiting for my monthly statement?

• 23 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Why does it take so long to produce monthly statements? I always provide my meter readings by the 28th of the month and yet I'm still waiting for my monthly statement nearly 4 weeks later. When I apply for a refund it tells me I must wait for a statement. By the time the statement arrives it then tells me my meter readings are over 28 days old so then I send in meter readings and it tells me I must wait for the latest statement. Is this a clever way of Ovo never giving refunds?
icon

Best answer by Ed_OVO 26 August 2019, 12:48

Hi @Eugene,

The statements will come out on the same day each month, however if this falls on a weekend, it'll come out on the following Monday, so it's not generated when you input your meter readings. There's a few reasons why you may not receive a statement, the main one being if you've had a new meter fitted. We put you on a billing suspension for 6 weeks, so that we can get the relevant info about your old meter, and your new meter, and then bill you for the full 6 weeks.

It could also be if we create a 'read dispute', which is when the readings don't seem to fall in line with your previous usage. Further info on this subject here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/guide-to-meter-reading-disputes.html

It'd be best to get in touch with the team, though, as they'll be able to see exactly what the issue is, and if needs be, generate a statement then and there. You could drop us an email at hello@ovoenergy.com, or if you'd prefer, send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages: https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy or https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy.

Thanks,
Ed
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi @Eugene,

The statements will come out on the same day each month, however if this falls on a weekend, it'll come out on the following Monday, so it's not generated when you input your meter readings. There's a few reasons why you may not receive a statement, the main one being if you've had a new meter fitted. We put you on a billing suspension for 6 weeks, so that we can get the relevant info about your old meter, and your new meter, and then bill you for the full 6 weeks.

It could also be if we create a 'read dispute', which is when the readings don't seem to fall in line with your previous usage. Further info on this subject here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/guide-to-meter-reading-disputes.html

It'd be best to get in touch with the team, though, as they'll be able to see exactly what the issue is, and if needs be, generate a statement then and there. You could drop us an email at hello@ovoenergy.com, or if you'd prefer, send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages: https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy or https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy.

Thanks,
Ed
It always appears there is an "issue" with Ovo. These continuing issues always seem to benefit Ovo and not the customer. It is always the customer who has to contact Ovo to sort things out. Despite numerous contacts I am still left with a wildly exaggerated yearly usage and silly direct debit estimations. It's time Ovo used common sense and stopped using wild computer predictions. I don't want to use Ovo as a savings bank and I'm quite capable of making a top up payment if my account started to go into debit, which it never does, funnily enough!
Userlevel 5
Badge
I'm sorry you feel this way, @Eugene, we also don't want our customers to use their account as a savings bank, we stipulate one months credit on the balance for customers with a fixed plan, any surplus credit is free to be requested as a refund at any time.

In the same vein we actively check Direct Debits on a monthly basis to make sure you're paying the right amount, to avoid debts later on in the contract, top up payments to clear debt is not something we promote.

Please contact our team as @Ed_OVO mentioned so that they can help look into your projected consumption figures.

Thanks!
Why don't you promote Top up payments? It is a far better way of ensuring that the correct amount of credit is kept in the account rather than just guessing or estimating what might be used. Ovo have no idea of how much energy I'm going to use in a year. You can't accurately assess how much a customer is going to use purely by previous usage. I might be going off to Florida for 3 months next week, and having an oil fired boiler installed for the winter. As it is I have solar panels and I don't suppose that you've even taken this into account, even though I receive my FITs payments from you. Let the customer decide what he wants to pay, after all he is far more aware of his own circumstances than you will ever be! Fair enough if the account is going into debit continually, but if the account is in credit please allow us to choose how much we want to pay and obtain a refund when necessary without going round and round in this meter reading, statement circle. We used to be able to pay for our energy 3 months in arrears and now you want us to pay upfront and have one month's credit in our accounts. I would love to know just how much of customers money you are holding in your account, but I don't suppose for one minute that you will make that public! I have been reading on the forum where customers are £1,200 in credit, and I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous. You should be automatically refunding the money, when the credit reaches that sort of amount!
The onus is on Ovo to sort things like this out. You shouldn't be frightening your more vulnerable customers into thinking that they might get into debt over the winter period and keep unnecessarily urging them to increase their direct debits.
You are still telling me that I should pay a ridiculous sum as direct debit and not allowing me to take a refund when my account has clearly always been in credit by well over one month's payments. I don't want to have to go through your rigmarole every month just to keep the correct amount in my account! Stop upsetting your customers and treating them like idiots, most of us are quite capable of keeping our own account in credit, but by all means be ready with your advice if somebody is "ACTUALLY IN DEBIT" over the year.
Here endeth the sermon!
Userlevel 5
Badge
You're right, @Eugene, it is a prediction and it's not always going to be spot on.

We use historical usage patterns as well as a lot of other data to generate a Direct Debit. We also ask for regular readings to keep it on track. Direct Debits are a more convenient payment for most customers, when it is accurate and set up there isn't much more the customer needs to do.

Direct Debits are only a stipulation if you are on a fixed plan with us, we buy your energy in advance once you fix into a plan for the duration of the plan. Ultimately we are a business selling a commodity for a price, we can't assume all of our customers will call in or log in once a month and promptly pay their bill.

You can make top up payments online, as well and we only require one months credit on the balance.

It sounds like the variable plan could be a good option for you, this allows you to pay on receipt of your bill.

Hope this helps!
Hi Amy, thanks for getting back to me.
I appreciate that not all your customers will give regular meter readings or pay their account promptly. I am quite happy for you to hassle these customers but why treat your good customers the same way. If your predictions aren't accurate please don't give them. I am being advised to pay a direct debit of between £191 and £573 when my current monthly usage has been only £50. I appreciate that predictions can never be exact but not out by a factor of 10. You really need to sort out your billing predictions or you are going to have a lot of unhappy customers.
I have sorted out my credit problem now but only by having to ring in yet again and obtain an up to date statement and argue my point.
I feel sorry for your other customers who may not have the fortitude or drive to put things right as I have done!
Thanks for your time anyway and I hope that Ovo will take on board some of my comments and look into your customers who have large amounts of credit in their accounts.
I'm sure you would soon be on top of someone whose account was £1200 in debit but very much doubt that you would be in a rush to contact someone who had racked up £1200 of credit!
Best regards Eugene