Solved

What are OVO Energy's bank details so I can make a payment?

• 31 January 2019
  • 22 replies

I would love to pay my bill, but I can not find the bank details any where to use with my online banking and send via BACS. ive been on hold the past few days for over 20 minutes and unable to arrange a call whilst a work.

please some one must know where I can get the information from
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 13 February 2019, 13:02

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/06/2023 by Abby_OVO

Great question to ask about making a one-off card payment.

The easiest way to transfer a payment is on the ‘Payments’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). You’ll see the option to ‘Make a card payment’ on this page, which will allow you to enter your card details and make the payment quickly online.

Exact wording may vary

If you’d prefer to arrange the payment directly with your bank, here are OVOs bank details:

Bank: BARCLAYS
Account name: OVO ENERGY LTD Receipts
Sort code: 20-00-00
Account number: 83683249

It’s important that you include as a reference your OVO account number and postcode so the payment will end up in the right place.

Could someone from OVO please confirm that the account details above are still correct?  I would like to make a one-off payment, via bank transfer.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@TMHarlock 

Details above should still be correct. If down the line these are incorrect you could file a dispute to get the money back.

Or you could call OVO on 0330 303 5063 and check with them if the details above are correct

Thank you!

Userlevel 7

Yep still correct, @TMHarlock :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Those bank details need to be restored to the main OVO website here.

It still mentions bank transfer as a payment method…

… but then doesn’t provide the information to do so. :face_palm_tone2:

Can you please raise this with the website team, @Tim_OVO ?

Userlevel 5

We’re raising this with the team, @Transparent! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @Eva_OVO 

… and whilst you’re talking to them, could you also draw their attention to the main website page on Smart Meter problems which @Ed_OVO and I discussed yesterday here.

That’s a much more tricky page to update because there’s more than one SMETS2 variant to take into account.

Hello, 

As I can pay the bills only by bank transfer, please confirm if the details below are still valid for making the payments. I found them in a previous chat on the forum.

Bank: BARCLAYS
Account name: OVO ENERGY LTD Receipts
Sort code: 20-00-00
Account number: 83683249

As I understand, I have to include as a reference my OVO account number and postcode. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @GeoGiunca !

Sure thing. I’m seeing the same thing on the main site, but just to be ultra safe, I’m going to get a second opinion from my glamourous assistants @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO .

It’s also just your account number as the reference, you don’t need the post code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As a general rule, whenever i setup a new payee to pay a bill directly from my bank account i always only initially transfer a very small token amount and make sure it arrives safely.

Userlevel 7

It’s also just your account number as the reference, you don’t need the post code.

Think we’ve spotted a bit of an update need on the website with this one, @GeoGiunca.

Those are the correct bank details but just to clarify we’d recommend including both the account number and the postcode just to make sure there’s not an accidental mis-directed payment. Thanks for highlighting that page @Blastoise186 - we’ve already raised this one to the team to make sure the information given there is updated.

Good work all round!

And just for future reference, @GeoGiunca, did you know that you can also make card payments via your online account?:

Thank you all for the clarifying answers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, I’m glad we could help.

I’m also pleased to confirm that the article has been updated by the Content Team - I just noticed the changes this morning (changes are in bold).

4. Paying my energy bill via a bank transfer

To pay your bill, you can also make a transfer from your bank account to ours. Our bank account number is 83683249 and sort code 20-00-00. 

Remember to include your OVO account number and postcode in the reference field, so we can link payment to your account.

Hopefully that’s to your liking. If you spot any other mistakes in the guides, please feel free to post them here on the forum and we’ll get Jess or Tim to pass them on for you.

Userlevel 2

Hello all, 

Firstly, sorry if this post has too much sensitive info.

I’ve recently joined Ovo Energy about two weeks ago, from British Gas. I moved on to the Better Smart Fixed 1 Year Tariff. This required a smart meter to be installed. I used to pay on receipt of bill with British Gas so am having to get used to Direct Debit again.

I have paid £68 for a month of electricity in advance, as that is how Ovo do billing, I think. The engineer visit went pleasantly well on Wednesday 06th July 2022. Unfortunately the smart meter may not connect back to Ovo via the national database, for up to six weeks. I was told this by a customer service rep when I called Ovo yesterday.  They said to give meter readings by phone for now as their system has not updated yet from the national database. It might help to make top up payments so I am not shocked by the billing may not be as accurate between the old ‘dumb’ meter and this new smart meter. 

As I’m drowsy and mentally ill at the minuet due to meds, I foolishly made some top up payments via Debit Card payment of £39.99 (estimate of two weeks usage from my Direct Debit figure) and Bank Transfer of £0.01 I used the bank details for Ovo I found on their website, which is: 

Bank: Barclays, 

Company Account Name: Ovo Energy Ltd Receipts 

Display Name: Ovo Energy Ltd

Account Number: 83683249

Sort Code 20-00-00 

Reference: (My Account Number and Post Code): xxxxxxxx, xxx xxx

I know faster payments can take up to 2 hours but being night now and time lapsed, I feel I made a mistake on the ref bit now. 

I also do not know the refund policy as I’ve read conflicting things sadly on the forum and the main website. I think refunds are only done after £25 above the Direct Debit amount has been passed. Would it be advisable to pay £5 more by the proper debit card way so get to this threshold? 

Also with the Government’s cost of living rebate grants for energy (e.g. £400, £150, £650) coming to be paid from this week, for people like myself on eligible social security benefits I don’t know if this get paid directly to me or Ovo would be applied directly as credit. British Gas has explained this on their website but I do not know if it will work differently with each company. I’m confused. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

youngeru2

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @youngeru2 !

Firstly, you’re in luck. I’ve created my own version of the discount guide which you can find at 

I’m currently updating it slightly, but it’s mostly correct apart from the Council Tax rebate process for manual claims.

Don’t worry if you made a mistake in that reference. I suspect that if OVO can’t match the payment to any OVO account, they’ll spit the payment back out and return it to your bank account within a couple of weeks.

You are almost right on the refund policy, but I’d suggest against claiming a refund for now. It’s better to keep the account in credit but you’re welcome to pull out a refund anytime as long as it leaves at least one months worth of DD payment in the balance after the refund. Might be worth waiting for that newly installed smart meter to start sending in readings first though. :)

Userlevel 7

Hi @youngeru2 

Can you confirm if you put your account number and post code in the payment reference? Did you put anything in this reference text box? 

Userlevel 2

Hi @youngeru2 

Can you confirm if you put your account number and post code in the payment reference? Did you put anything in this reference text box? 

Hi Tim_OVO

I put my account number, then a comma and then the post code as I’ve never added my post code [Reference: (My Account Number and Post Code): xxxxxxxx, xxx xxx]  into the Display Name box before in internet banking. I do hope I wrote it in the correct way and that this all makes sense. 

I did not add anything else in the Display Name box. 

If in the unfortunate event that my account can’t be located, would the finance team?  reimburse the penny back into my bank account. 

Best Wishes, 

youngeru2

Userlevel 2

Howdy @youngeru2 !

Firstly, you’re in luck. I’ve created my own version of the discount guide which you can find at 

I’m currently updating it slightly, but it’s mostly correct apart from the Council Tax rebate process for manual claims.

Don’t worry if you made a mistake in that reference. I suspect that if OVO can’t match the payment to any OVO account, they’ll spit the payment back out and return it to your bank account within a couple of weeks.

You are almost right on the refund policy, but I’d suggest against claiming a refund for now. It’s better to keep the account in credit but you’re welcome to pull out a refund anytime as long as it leaves at least one months worth of DD payment in the balance after the refund. Might be worth waiting for that newly installed smart meter to start sending in readings first though. :)

Hello @Blastoise186 

Thank you so much for your wonderful guide as I did not know about it before and it was very well written, detailed and up-to-date. 

As I’m over-worrier, I think I’ll do what you suggested and leave the monies in for now until the newly installed smart meters start sending readings to Ovo like you said. Hopefully the penny will be returned back to me as a bank transaction, in a few weeks from Ovo. 

I clicked on the best answer button quickly as your response just calmed me down so much. 

Many thanks, 

youngeru2 

Userlevel 2

Hi All, 

I thought it best to give everyone an update. 

The money went in, it just took 2 to 3 working days. 

Thanks everyone for your help, 

youngeru2

I recently sent payment to settle "Last months" Bill.

OVO put my payment into this months account as a "Top up Payment."

Is this a mistake or a move to make me pay again for some reason?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you a direct debit customer? OVO use something they call live billing so you can see daily what your energy costs.

Any payment is a payment whatever it’s listed as