Solved

Proposed Direct Debit increase less than current Direct Debit

• 29 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Have received an email today advising that my Direct Debit payments will not meet my energy usage projected from current usage data. When I followed the links to see by how much this payment will be increased, I am quoted the same payment as I am currently making, with the attendant graphic actually showing a LOWER amount that I am currently paying. I am confused, and am asking for your assistance.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 29 March 2018, 18:35

Hello @zamerria,
Welcome to the Forum.

We'd love to help, but the Forum is a customer discussion area. OVO's accounts Dept don't pick up things you post here.

Normally, I'd direct you to view the page describing Direct Debit Reviews.

However, in your case you seem to be describing a problem that's beyond the usual DD questions. Even if OVO's Forward Prediction Software had noticed that your payments needed adjusting, it doesn't explain the discrepancy between the Online Usage information and the email you received.

I think you'll need to contact OVO Customer Services directly by one of these methods
- email to hello@ovoenergy.com
- telephone 0330 303 5063
- the online form at the bottom of this page

Hope that helps.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello @zamerria,
Welcome to the Forum.

We'd love to help, but the Forum is a customer discussion area. OVO's accounts Dept don't pick up things you post here.

Normally, I'd direct you to view the page describing Direct Debit Reviews.

However, in your case you seem to be describing a problem that's beyond the usual DD questions. Even if OVO's Forward Prediction Software had noticed that your payments needed adjusting, it doesn't explain the discrepancy between the Online Usage information and the email you received.

I think you'll need to contact OVO Customer Services directly by one of these methods
- email to hello@ovoenergy.com
- telephone 0330 303 5063
- the online form at the bottom of this page

Hope that helps.
Hi, just had an email requesting me to increase my direct debt amount so I don’t end my contract with a negative balance, but when I go into the ‘change my direct debit’ section in my ovo, the recommended amount is actually £4 less than I pay currently???
I can beat your £4 - mine recommends a ridiculous £65 less.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @DonaldMcDonald & @Jandy,

Although I obviously don't know your personal energy use/tariff details, there is a common reason why many OVO customers receive a request to lower their Direct Debit. This arises for those who have deliberately paid OVO up-front for their energy in order to take advantage of the 3% "interest" payments they receive.

The issue which appears to be happening here is that customers are being sent notifications asking for the DD to be increased, and yet when they login to their accounts, the recommendation is for a decrease.

My own theory is that this anomaly is connected to the recent changes in the usage-graph data which has been widely discussed on this Forum since February. I suspect that OVO's programmers are actually refining all the algorithms used to calculate predicted usage, not just those used for the graphs.

This makes good sense. In future it will allow a much better alignment between the projections we see on our My OVO pages, and what we actually get billed.
I had suspected that some 'refinement' of algorithms could be to blame. But the £65 a month recommended by one algorithm is a poor match for the £1500 per annum estimated by another. And no, I am not maintaining a £700 balance, just around £70 and falling.