Solved

OVO just recommended a Direct Debit of £7 a month - is that a mistake?

• 11 January 2019
  • 10 replies

I am currently paying £61 a month and have received an email saying it's best to reduce this TO £7 a month. This surely can't be right, l am in credit and could understand if it said reduce BY £7 a month. I have got Electricity & Gas.

Many thanks
Ragtop
icon

Best answer by Ragtop 11 January 2019, 22:28

I have solved it @Slinky l clicked on change direct debit and the answer was there, it's a shame the answer wasn't in the message they sent me. Anyway the reason is because my present contract ends in 7 months and they are trying to have my account as 0.00 when my contract ends. When presumably they will offer me a new contract.
Ragtop
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

May I ask how much you are in credit by? If it is a lot maybe OVO have decided to reduce your credit balance by lowering your direct debit, that said however if this is genuinely the case it's a new one on me. I'm in credit by around £500, I'd love OVO to reduce my monthly premium and use the money already in my account rather than keep asking for more.
Thanks @Slinky for your reply. I am £270 in credit after 18 months so by reducing my monthly payments TO £7 a month l would soon be owing Ovo money. I was wondering if it's a typo and it should have said reduce my payments BY £7 a month which would make more sense.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

Agreed, it would make more sense but it wouldn't surprise me if it were the other way around. Nothing surprises me anymore 😁Let's hope OVO give you the answer you need, you could always phone them, apparently they don't penalise you if it's urgent or you can't get the answers via email/forum.
I have solved it @Slinky l clicked on change direct debit and the answer was there, it's a shame the answer wasn't in the message they sent me. Anyway the reason is because my present contract ends in 7 months and they are trying to have my account as 0.00 when my contract ends. When presumably they will offer me a new contract.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

So are you saying that they really did intend to reduce your DD to £7.00 per/mth ??

Glad you solved it anyway, 🤘
Yes @Slinky that's exactly what l'm saying. As you are £500 in credit it will be interesting to see if they do similar for your account as you near the end of your current contract. I have still not had confirmation from Ovo from my email to them but the answer l needed was there after l clicked on change DD.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

If it were me I'd still want clarification one way or the other. That said you'll find out pretty soon anyway when your next DD is due 😉
Can you believe it l have just received an email from Ovo saying they are going to reduce my DD to £50 a month after asking me to reduce it to £7 a month so my account would be 0.00 at the end of my current contract. Words fail me. Grrrr
Ragtop
All sorted l have just rung them and the nice lady confirmed it should be £7.00 a month and has amended the DD back to £7 to get me to 0.00 at the end of my current contract in 7 months.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
That's why I said to ask for clarification, sadly you can't believe any emails from OVO anymore which is a shame, I held OVO in quite high regard when i first joined but over time those feelings have changed dramatically.