Solved

OVO just recommended a Direct Debit of £7 a month - is that a mistake?

• 11 January 2019
  • 10 replies

I am currently paying £61 a month and have received an email saying it's best to reduce this TO £7 a month. This surely can't be right, l am in credit and could understand if it said reduce BY £7 a month. I have got Electricity & Gas.

Many thanks
Ragtop
icon

Best answer by Ragtop 11 January 2019, 22:28

I have solved it @Slinky l clicked on change direct debit and the answer was there, it's a shame the answer wasn't in the message they sent me. Anyway the reason is because my present contract ends in 7 months and they are trying to have my account as 0.00 when my contract ends. When presumably they will offer me a new contract.
Ragtop
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

May I ask how much you are in credit by? If it is a lot maybe OVO have decided to reduce your credit balance by lowering your direct debit, that said however if this is genuinely the case it's a new one on me. I'm in credit by around £500, I'd love OVO to reduce my monthly premium and use the money already in my account rather than keep asking for more.
Thanks @Slinky for your reply. I am £270 in credit after 18 months so by reducing my monthly payments TO £7 a month l would soon be owing Ovo money. I was wondering if it's a typo and it should have said reduce my payments BY £7 a month which would make more sense.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

Agreed, it would make more sense but it wouldn't surprise me if it were the other way around. Nothing surprises me anymore 😁Let's hope OVO give you the answer you need, you could always phone them, apparently they don't penalise you if it's urgent or you can't get the answers via email/forum.
I have solved it @Slinky l clicked on change direct debit and the answer was there, it's a shame the answer wasn't in the message they sent me. Anyway the reason is because my present contract ends in 7 months and they are trying to have my account as 0.00 when my contract ends. When presumably they will offer me a new contract.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

So are you saying that they really did intend to reduce your DD to £7.00 per/mth ??

Glad you solved it anyway, 🤘
Yes @Slinky that's exactly what l'm saying. As you are £500 in credit it will be interesting to see if they do similar for your account as you near the end of your current contract. I have still not had confirmation from Ovo from my email to them but the answer l needed was there after l clicked on change DD.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Ragtop

If it were me I'd still want clarification one way or the other. That said you'll find out pretty soon anyway when your next DD is due 😉
Can you believe it l have just received an email from Ovo saying they are going to reduce my DD to £50 a month after asking me to reduce it to £7 a month so my account would be 0.00 at the end of my current contract. Words fail me. Grrrr
Ragtop
All sorted l have just rung them and the nice lady confirmed it should be £7.00 a month and has amended the DD back to £7 to get me to 0.00 at the end of my current contract in 7 months.
Ragtop
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
That's why I said to ask for clarification, sadly you can't believe any emails from OVO anymore which is a shame, I held OVO in quite high regard when i first joined but over time those feelings have changed dramatically.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings