Solved

My recommended Direct Debit keeps changing - why?

• 24 May 2017
  • 1 reply

Hey, I am liking OVO very much in general, so keep up the good work and all. There's just one thing: the recommended payment keeps going up and down, and I don't understand why.

I've had a smart meter for over a year, so there's plenty of data to work out our average usage, but even if I were a new customer, I would expect predictions to be based on similar households and so be fairly stable. What I wouldn't expect is for the recommended monthly payment to fluctuate wildly. I'd expect it to stay pretty consistent, the point being to smooth out the variation over the year.

Aside from giving feedback and general venting, I'd be really interested to know how the predicted spend is being calculated, and why it's giving such erratic results.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 May 2017, 17:36

Hey, I am liking OVO very much in general, so keep up the good work and all. There's just one thing: the recommended payment keeps going up and down, and I don't understand why.

I've had a smart meter for over a year, so there's plenty of data to work out our average usage, but even if I were a new customer, I would expect predictions to be based on similar households and so be fairly stable. What I wouldn't expect is for the recommended monthly payment to fluctuate wildly. I'd expect it to stay pretty consistent, the point being to smooth out the variation over the year.

Aside from giving feedback and general venting, I'd be really interested to know how the predicted spend is being calculated, and why it's giving such erratic results.

Hi @AC42

Thanks for getting in touch about this changing Direct Debit recommendation.

First off, here's a link to OVO Answers which explains how we calculate that Direct Debit: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/how-did-you-work-out-my-new-direct-debit-amount.html.

Based on that, it's odd to hear the recommendation keeps changing. My only suggestion is fluctuating usage showing on your monthly bills, possibly caused by an inaccurate annual usage average (which is what we base your estimated readings on). For me to double check this, PM me your account number, name and DoB.

Just to add, I've tweaked the title and added tags to this topic, making it more 'searchable'.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @AC42

Thanks for getting in touch about this changing Direct Debit recommendation.

First off, here's a link to OVO Answers which explains how we calculate that Direct Debit: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/how-did-you-work-out-my-new-direct-debit-amount.html.

Based on that, it's odd to hear the recommendation keeps changing. My only suggestion is fluctuating usage showing on your monthly bills, possibly caused by an inaccurate annual usage average (which is what we base your estimated readings on). For me to double check this, PM me your account number, name and DoB.

Just to add, I've tweaked the title and added tags to this topic, making it more 'searchable'.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings