Solved

If I think the recommended Direct Debit is wrong, would I lose the Self Service Reward?

• 1 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I wish to increase our monthly payment to £200 but the automated interface was insisting on a minimum of £343 (which is ludicrous). As a result i felt obliged to phone up to speak to Ovo directly about the matter.

I called at 17:30 and once i got through was told in an automated message i would have to forego the online discount. After some 5 mins of being on hold a message stated the phone would be answered in 1 minute. After a further 15 mins i received a message saying i could be called back without losing my place in the queue. I discovered later I was called back at 18:02 at which point I had taken another call. I do not think i should lose my online discount having been unable to speak to anyone about the matter. My time was wasted.

Please would you confirm that my online discount is not lost.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 1 December 2018, 11:41

Hi @Eel We can't answer that question directly on the Forum. We're fellow customers, like you. OVO's Customer Support doesn't monitor these discussions.

In such circumstances, the easy way to ensure that you're not going to lose the online discount, is not to phone in the first place. But it's also worth remembering that if you think the calculations for the recommended Direct Debit are wrong, this wouldn't be something you can fix yourself. Therefore you wouldn't lose the discount by calling. More info here

As a general rule, Energy Suppliers expect to run a Customer Account with one-month's payments in credit at this time of year. So it's not the amount you wish to pay by DD that's significant, but what is the current balance of the account.

OVO's billing system is likely to treat you more favourably if you simply put a one-off payment into the account to ensure that sufficient credit is there, prior to you attempting to change the monthly DD.

There's another topic on this subject here
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Eel We can't answer that question directly on the Forum. We're fellow customers, like you. OVO's Customer Support doesn't monitor these discussions.

In such circumstances, the easy way to ensure that you're not going to lose the online discount, is not to phone in the first place. But it's also worth remembering that if you think the calculations for the recommended Direct Debit are wrong, this wouldn't be something you can fix yourself. Therefore you wouldn't lose the discount by calling. More info here

As a general rule, Energy Suppliers expect to run a Customer Account with one-month's payments in credit at this time of year. So it's not the amount you wish to pay by DD that's significant, but what is the current balance of the account.

OVO's billing system is likely to treat you more favourably if you simply put a one-off payment into the account to ensure that sufficient credit is there, prior to you attempting to change the monthly DD.

There's another topic on this subject here
Thank you for your detailed assistance!