Solved

I've received a demand for payment from OVO - What is this?

• 25 July 2018
  • 3 replies

I am an angry parent whose daughter has just received a demand from OVO for over £500 although she pays by direct debit and has had no contact from OVO regarding the fact that her direct debit is not covering her gas and electric with no contact from OVO to inform her this.She has asked them to increase it to cover the amount and gradually pay it back but have refused this so my question is why and the response she got when she phoned was sorry we forgot to say it wasn’t covering your energy this can’t be right!
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 July 2018, 17:15

daughter has just received a demand from OVO for over £500

@Robert10 we did have an issue with some emails being sent out in error. All effected customers have been sent an email and SMS message to advise about this, so if we were wrong, she'll know about it.

If she's not received anything from us since, it's likely that the debt is valid, so I'd advise she call our Collections team to agree on the next steps: 0800 0699 831
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
daughter has just received a demand from OVO for over £500

@Robert10 we did have an issue with some emails being sent out in error. All effected customers have been sent an email and SMS message to advise about this, so if we were wrong, she'll know about it.

If she's not received anything from us since, it's likely that the debt is valid, so I'd advise she call our Collections team to agree on the next steps: 0800 0699 831

I was an OVO customer and left you last year, when I left I was told I would receive my final statement.
Unfortunately I lost access to the registered email address and I was under the impression the final statement would come by post.

I heard nothing from OVO until 28th January this year when I received a letter of intended action.

I contacted OVO on the 28th to discuss this and first got in touch with an agent in collections who clearly had no training in dealing with a person with anxiety and was not even willing to listen to me.

I then spoke to a customer service agent, who did the following things:

1. Arrange a new final bill to be sent by post
  2. He said he would put the account on hold until I had a chance to look at this final bill, and did not want to sort anything out regarding payment arrangements until I had a chance to look at this final bill.
  3. Arrange a goodwill gesture of £31.78 to the account.

I thought this was all sorted and happy to wait for the final bill.

Yesterday (6th February) I received the final bill and had intended to go through this today with my support worker and then call OVO, however at 17:58 yesterday I got a call from Westcot collections on your behalf.

It seems you have sent the file through them on the 30th January, despite telling me all collection activity would be put on hold. Westcot decided in the end to return the case to OVO as they felt it should not have been passed to them.

My anxiety at this point was sky high. I called your collections department and the first person I spoke to after a very long time on hold (it went from 20 minutes, down to 3 minutes and then back up to 18 minutes) said they never put it on hold as they did not agree with it and customer service should not have told me so, but he agreed that was not my problem. He said he would take a complaint and someone would call me in 2 days. I pointed out that was not what your complaints process on the website says. I gave at that point a proposed resolution as I had to have my support worker come out urgently due to how I was feeling and that will cost me £50. He did not want to listen. And that is where the call ended.

I was also in contact with your twitter team and they advised for me to speak to them again. I called again and the female agent I got at that point did nothing to make the situation any better, she actually made the situation a lot worse.
She never let me finish any sentence without trying to talk over me and interrupt me which just increased my anxiety as I felt like OVO thinks I was not even worth your time. She also said if I made a complaint it would mean she would remove the previous goodwill gesture.

In the end she actually said I can hear you are getting very upset, so we will not get anywhere. You can either call customer service in the morning or……. At this point I reached breaking point and interrupted her and said “or I just die” and hung up.

Luckily I still had some ratio left and called for medical assistance immediately, as well as OVO it turned out later. I have been heavily sedated last night, but still did not sleep as this is still on my mind.
I tried customer service this morning and the manager who came on the phone was less than helpful, indicating the fact I had to get my support worker out last night was my problem and he was not willing to do anything.

OVO was aware of my medical issues as I was on your priority services register, but to me it feels like the agents I spoke to yesterday just think that is a reason to treat a person like an idiot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @PatrickVS and thank you for sharing this with us. I’m so sorry to hear about it though. I’ll be sending a PM shortly to offer some advice and support. :)