Solved

I've left OVO - I need a refund and now I'm being asked for meter readings - why?


Userlevel 1
I've now left Ovo - hooray - so they have now started sending me requests for meter readings. When I sent monthly readings they didn't send requests for readings, lost the ones I supplied and refused to send a bill. Now their system records a "final reading" as I made sure I sent them one - but they've started asking for meter readings.

I wait to see if I will ever get my overpayment back, because of course they havent refunded it promptly.
icon

Best answer by stateofit 13 July 2017, 08:56

I'm always sorry to hear accounts of times when service breaks down. I've always found ovo to be genuinely helpful when things inevitably go wrong in a complicated industry.

There's loads of bits of the process when we switch that I think alot of people don't realise, or have an idea about how it should work, but it doesn't...

Sadly i gather it's not enough that we've provided a final reading, it has to go off to ofgem and be validated, and energy companies aren't supposed to bill til they have that validated reading. And it takes ages, like 6 weeks, and i've heard there are some occasions when it takes 3 months, not cos of incompetence, bcos that's just how it works...

Also remember that direct debit arrangements can often go on for a bit after you switch, while that stuff goes on, but you're allowed to cancel it yourself, with your bank. Friend of mine found a £4 DD on his account stretching back 20 years, traced it to a university group membership, never thought to cancel it...

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
buzzard wrote:

I've now left Ovo - hooray - so they have now started sending me requests for meter readings. When I sent monthly readings they didn't send requests for readings, lost the ones I supplied and refused to send a bill. Now their system records a "final reading" as I made sure I sent them one - but they've started asking for meter readings.

I wait to see if I will ever get my overpayment back, because of course they havent refunded it promptly.



Ah no, it’s a shame to hear that you’ve left us @buzzard. It’s also really odd to hear that you weren’t getting meter read reminders and now these are coming through. I can easily stop these from being sent through. I’ll drop you a private message (PM) now so that I can help further with this.

Once I have your details, I can also look into what’s happening with your refund. We’ll need to wait 4-6 weeks for your closing readings to be sent over, but once they have been, we’ll be able to raise a refund for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Did you read what I wrote Lucy - I made sure I sent you a final meter reading. I also sent one a couple of days before. So you've had lots of meter readings and no excuse whatsoever not to produce a bill and send the refund. I also sent an opening reading to the new supplier. And dont bother denying it as I got the emails back to confirm it and I've learnt how to do screenshots to confirm they are in the system.

What is more I now see you've taken a direct debit payment after I left you - so it's onto the bank to claim that back.

You have had the details of my account so dont give me any more garbage.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
buzzard wrote:

Did you read what I wrote Lucy - I made sure I sent you a final meter reading. I also sent one a couple of days before. So you've had lots of meter readings and no excuse whatsoever not to produce a bill and send the refund. I also sent an opening reading to the new supplier. And dont bother denying it as I got the emails back to confirm it and I've learnt how to do screenshots to confirm they are in the system.

What is more I now see you've taken a direct debit payment after I left you - so it's onto the bank to claim that back.

You have had the details of my account so dont give me any more garbage.



We need to make sure we pass security with our customers whether this is via email, phone, social media or the Customer Forum. A customer needs to confirm three pieces of security information. As you’ve only confirmed one, I’m unable to look into this further for you until the other two pieces are confirmed.

Once they have been, it would be great to get things fully resolved for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm always sorry to hear accounts of times when service breaks down. I've always found ovo to be genuinely helpful when things inevitably go wrong in a complicated industry.

There's loads of bits of the process when we switch that I think alot of people don't realise, or have an idea about how it should work, but it doesn't...

Sadly i gather it's not enough that we've provided a final reading, it has to go off to ofgem and be validated, and energy companies aren't supposed to bill til they have that validated reading. And it takes ages, like 6 weeks, and i've heard there are some occasions when it takes 3 months, not cos of incompetence, bcos that's just how it works...

Also remember that direct debit arrangements can often go on for a bit after you switch, while that stuff goes on, but you're allowed to cancel it yourself, with your bank. Friend of mine found a £4 DD on his account stretching back 20 years, traced it to a university group membership, never thought to cancel it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
buzzard wrote:

I've now left Ovo - hooray - so they have now started sending me requests for meter readings. When I sent monthly readings they didn't send requests for readings, lost the ones I supplied and refused to send a bill. Now their system records a "final reading" as I made sure I sent them one - but they've started asking for meter readings.

I wait to see if I will ever get my overpayment back, because of course they havent refunded it promptly.



So then, @buzzard - check out the reply from @stateofit

It covers the issues in play here, so I've made it the 'best answer' to this topic. I've also tweaked the title and added some more tags to help others see their answer.

I'll send you a PM now to see if you need my help.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 1
Actually it doesn't cover the issues at all - and Lucy had 2 of the 3 pieces of information she requested and she didnt need the third.

I sent the same readings to both Ovo and my new supplier - who sent them off promptly. The meter reading was in line with past meter readings and only marginally different to last year. So absolutely no reason for a hold up at all and most definitely no reason to suddenly start asking for meter readings when 1. you already had them and 2. you hadnt asked for meter reading at all before I left.

When I ask for a deadlock letter to take this to the energy Ombudsman it become possible to provide the refund. Ovo did not want their incompetence exposed to their regulator.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
buzzard wrote:

Actually it doesn't cover the issues at all - and Lucy had 2 of the 3 pieces of information she requested and she didnt need the third.

I sent the same readings to both Ovo and my new supplier - who sent them off promptly. The meter reading was in line with past meter readings and only marginally different to last year. So absolutely no reason for a hold up at all and most definitely no reason to suddenly start asking for meter readings when 1. you already had them and 2. you hadnt asked for meter reading at all before I left.

When I ask for a deadlock letter to take this to the energy Ombudsman it become possible to provide the refund. Ovo did not want their incompetence exposed to their regulator.



I'm glad to hear you've got that refund, @buzzard - I like to think I could have also sorted it for you if I had the chance, without a mention of a deadlock letter. It's done though and that's the important thing. :)

Yes I can completely appreciate the delay with your reading's 'validation' causing some raised eyebrows. As mentioned, it's done by a third party and sometimes I fear delays at their end can effect more then one customer.

We're always here if you want this chased up.

Tim
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close