Solved

I've left OVO but still waiting on my refund - why?

TOTALLY DISMAYED OF PRESTON !
I switch accounts regularly, not just energy but insurance, telecoms, banks,building society's you name it as I know in business today there is absolutely no sense of loyalty to customers whatsoever.
So to be brief I switched to save £20 per month from OVO to EON in October 2016 (yes 6 months ago!!!) and yes you guessed it. OVO have still not sorted it or refunded me a penny yet and it transpired would not have done if I hadn't contacted them!, and I had stiill been paying a higher unit cost with OVO as they didn't switch my gas supply to EON
Basically now I sent a recorded letter (the only way it appears to prompt a response), anyhow a nice reply came from Heinie on 21st April which I responded to promptly ------- THATS IT, JOB STOPPED. I HAVE SENT 5 MORE COMPLAINTS ON EMAIL TO NO AVAIL..... I AM GOING TO BILL THEM £70/ hr UUUUUUUUGHHHHH ,,,

Join cheap energy club for free monitoring of you gas,electric costs.

yours ....?..
R walsh‎
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 10 May 2017, 18:01

Please just sort out my refund since I migrated account 28/01/16 ?

Hi @Rgwalsh,

Yes this needs sorting one way or another. As you've switched supplier, a common cause of a delay in your final bill and refund is us waiting on some info needed to close your account, like the final meter readings. This sounds different though. @Mattj3135 has given some great advice (as usual), suggesting that you contact us with your account details. So if you've listened to him and reached out to the Social or Care team, we'll hold fire here. If you haven't yet, PM me your account number, name and DoB so I can help.

I've moved this topic to the Pay monthly forum, and changed the title. That way, other users who have had an issue since switching supplier can get the advice they need.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
TOTALLY DISMAYED OF PRESTON !
I switch accounts regularly, not just energy but insurance, telecoms, banks,building society's you name it as I know in business today there is absolutely no sense of loyalty to customers whatsoever.
So to be brief I switched to save £20 per month from OVO to EON in October 2016 (yes 6 months ago!!!) and yes you guessed it. OVO have still not sorted it or refunded me a penny yet and it transpired would not have done if I hadn't contacted them!, and I had stiill been paying a higher unit cost with OVO as they didn't switch my gas supply to EON
Basically now I sent a recorded letter (the only way it appears to prompt a response), anyhow a nice reply came from Heinie on 21st April which I responded to promptly ------- THATS IT, JOB STOPPED. I HAVE SENT 5 MORE COMPLAINTS ON EMAIL TO NO AVAIL..... I AM GOING TO BILL THEM £70/ hr UUUUUUUUGHHHHH ,,,

Join cheap energy club for free monitoring of you gas,electric costs.

yours ....?..
R walsh‎

Hi @Rgwalsh

Thanks for posting, am sorry to learn you've had difficulties.

Please let me / other members know if there is anything we can do to help / advise you on.

Kind regards
Rgds
Richard
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Rgds
Richard

Hi Richard

In order to gain your refund please contact the OVO customer care team either by phone or social media - if you contact them via social media please private message them including your full name, address, OVO account number and the refund you are seeking.

You may also find this info helpful in relation to refunds: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/theres-some-credit-on-my-account-can-i-get-a-refund.html

Hope you get your refund soon, please do let us know how you get on
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Rgwalsh,

Yes this needs sorting one way or another. As you've switched supplier, a common cause of a delay in your final bill and refund is us waiting on some info needed to close your account, like the final meter readings. This sounds different though. @Mattj3135 has given some great advice (as usual), suggesting that you contact us with your account details. So if you've listened to him and reached out to the Social or Care team, we'll hold fire here. If you haven't yet, PM me your account number, name and DoB so I can help.

I've moved this topic to the Pay monthly forum, and changed the title. That way, other users who have had an issue since switching supplier can get the advice they need.

Hope this helps,
Tim
I cannot believe that OVO has taken out £174 when my final bill was £32 . I expect my refund ASAP. My account is £150 + in credit. The company I have switched to has also started to take money from me. So this month I have paid £260 in gas and electric when I haven’t even had my central heating on! Please could someone tell me when this will be returned to me. It is theft!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Oh-er. Sorry to hear that @Efoy.

I know how the Switching system works, although in this case it wasn't favourable to you.

It's the responsibility of the Receiving Company to handle the switch process. They must set the switch-date and supply your meter readings to the National Database (ECOES).

ECOES then contact OVO (the Relinquishing Company), who verify that the readings are within preset margins of error. If there's no Objection raised then the Switch is acknowledged,

There should then be a minimum 14-day delay under the Consumer Credit Act because you've taken out a new Financial Agreement.

OVO will then generate your Final Bills for both Electricity and Gas. These are handled separately because the law allows you to change your mind on each energy-switch independently.

Only once the Final Bills are sent will the OVO Accounts Dept check your Direct Debit arrangement and return any credit. There can be a few days delay due to banks pre-processing DD arrangements.

So the obvious questions are:

1. Have you received your Electricity Final Bill?

2. Have you received your Gas Final Bill?

If you've not got both, then you need to check with your Receiving (New) Supplier that they've correctly notified ECOES and that the Acknowledgement was received from OVO for each fuel type.

Finally, as you are certain that you are substantially in credit anyway, you could of course simply instruct your bank to close the DD Instruction with OVO. That would've prevented them from taking that last £174.

The downside of doing that is that it's sometimes the case that the Relinquishing Supplier (OVO) can't return any credit to that account. So you then wait another couple of days while they send you a cheque. So most people leave the DD "live" and put up with the possibility that there may be a scheduled Debit which still needlessly goes through.

Let us know here if things aren't working as I've just described.
Thank you for your reply, but it’s not satisfactory. When I log on to the OVO site it says that my account has closed. From this I can only assume that the last amount taken by yourselves was the final amount. Common sense surely would have meant only taking the £32 pound rather than £174. But sadly no common sense.
I didn’t stop the direct debit for that purpose, in that you wouldn't be able to put the money back in my account. You increased the direct debit to £174 without my consent so surely you were able to reduce it to the correct amount.
I would like to know the exact date when my money will be returned to me. 14 days or there about is not good enough.
I look forward to hearing from you soon
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi again @Efoy.

Erm... can I point out that I'm a fellow customer trying to help. When you say "the last amount taken by yourselves", that isn't me. I'm not OVO! :)

OVO Customer Support don't monitor the messages on this Forum. It's where we can freely discuss issues publicly, but without any constraints of following "Company Policy".

I don't know what triggers OVO marking a customer's online account as "closed".

The key trigger point is the date at which the two Final Bills are generated. That's legally defined by Ofgem rules and the Consumer Credit Act.

Do you have these bills?

What date(s) are on them?

How does this compare to the date when your bank received the DD Instruction from OVO to action the £174? (My online bank a/c shows the date of a pending DD before it's actually taken; but yours may differ).
I have just contacted British Gas and everything has completed at their end. So it is Ovo that is keeping my £150 and I would like it back tomorrow. British Gas took over the supply on 23rd April
I thought I was talking to Ovo. So if you can’t return my money then your not much use. Why would Ovo only offer this service and not a live chat
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Efoy wrote:
... if you can’t return my money then your not much use.
:(

OVO offer this Forum service for a number of reasons:
  • We can discuss subjects beyond OVO's product range
  • We can compare with other customers
  • You can often get a comprehensive answer to a question from someone who's actually experienced something rather than from a trained Representative

In your case, I have practical experience which might help. I have (twice) taken Energy Companies to the Energy Ombudsman, with one matter being referred by them onwards to the Government Regulator (Ofgem).

I have spoken with the Office of the Ombudsman about handling disputes and I now realise how important it is to get the initial step right.

That's why I'm trying to home in on the dates printed on your Final Bills. They are absolutely key to the problem you have.

If Centrica show 25th April as the Switch-date, that gives them a couple of days to register the meter readings at ECOES. OVO then have a (small) window of time in which to register an Objection or send an Acknowledgement. The rules for this are laid down by Ofgem.

So ignoring the weekend, let's say that takes it to 1st May.

OVO then wait the statutory 14-days of the Consumer Credit Act, which means the earliest you could receive a Final Bill would be yesterday (16th).

Depending on the preferences you set, the Final Bill(s) might need to be sent by post. If not then you'll receive an email notification.

If you really want a live-chat, then you can achieve this via OVO's Facebook page. But I doubt you'll receive anything like this amount of detail.

Or, of course, you can telephone the Care team telephone: 0330 303 5063

Let me know if you get stuck. I can advise how to instigate the Complaints Procedure. But currently it won't work because you're one-stage too early.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@Efoy our Care team can sort out this refund for you - I'm so sorry to hear about this, but as @Transparent mentioned, it sounds like your final bill hasn't been sent, meaning the account is still open. To sort this, reach out to the Care team via Facebook, Twitter, email (hello@ovoenergy.com) or phone: 0330 303 5063.

Just to add, Transparent is another user of this forum (well, he's a superuser to be precise), but as this is an account specific issue that needs an OVO employee to take actions on the account, this forum isn't the best place to reach out to for help. Our Care team's contact details can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help#contactnumbers
Left in August and still waiting.....some rubbish excuse months ago why they were unable to refund and continued to take money when I Was already in credit. I find myself 3 months on with my new supplier and OVO still have my money.
Seems the forum is full of similar complaints....clearly don’t read any feedback or sort your processing issues
Refund in 7 days or will escalate to ofgem
Aftercare service is shocking and won’t be back!!!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Heidismith,

I'm really sorry to hear about this experience. I've moved your post over to this topic where similar issues have been raised before. You should be able to find the info you need, but do leave another comment if you've got any more questions.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hello @Heidismith;

As a fellow customer, may I just offer a couple of comments based on my own past experience?

Have you actually entered OVO's proper Complaints Procedure? If not, then the time-frames they have to abide by aren't even running.

It's easier if you send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com with the word Complaint somewhere in the Subject-line and the body-text. That way, there is no doubt that the clock is ticking and you get to retain a copy of what you wrote with a date/time-stamp on it.

Under the rules agreed with the Regulator, OVO must respond within 5 days.

Secondly, even if you go through both stages of the Complaints Procedure and the issue is still not resolved, your redress is through the Office of the Energy Regulator. Ofgem is the industry-body, and deals with companies, not customers.

Most customers using the Complaints Service have their issues sorted out within the week, but please ask again here if you want any more assistance.
Hello,

I swapped between OVO energy and ARVO energy on the 6th Feb since then 2 further direct debits at the end of Feb and March have been taken by OVO. I have given meter readings to ARVO (though not at change over), as I didn't receive a notification email. Anyway I had Smart meters with OVO so surely they know my final numbers.

Can some one contact please to sort this out, as paying £300 a month to two suppliers is causing me to go over drawn. Wish I had stayed with British Gas this switching is more hassle than it's worth 😔

James
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @gibsj01

The responsibility for handling all aspects on an energy switch lies with the Receiving Supplier, which in this case I believe is ARVO.

OVO are sent the necessary Notifications from ECOES and Xoserve, which are national meter databases for electricity and gas respectively. There are timed stages in the switching process, which add up to around 5 or 6 weeks in total. This includes the 14-day opt-out which you have under the Consumer Credit Act.

So it's not too surprising that the switch which started on 6th Feb isn't yet all complete. OVO themselves can't issue your Final Bill until they are cleared to do so by the regulatory system.

You have the right to raise a Complaint, but this must be with the Receiving Supplier. The Office of the Energy Ombudsman cannot support you if you chose to pursue the Relinquishing Supplier.

If you get stuck, or want clarification, please feel free to post again here. Non-OVO members are still permitted access to the Forum!