Solved

I've cancelled my switch before the switching date - why has OVO tried to take Direct Debit?

• 2 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello,
Two months ago, I've decided to switch to OVO but after giving my direct debit details, I've decided to cancel the switch and stay with my current provider. But today I've seen that OVO tries to get direct debit from me for the never opened, pending state account.

I've never get any service from OVO. I've cancelled the direct debit from my bank. My account number: [edited]

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 4 April 2019, 11:18

Hi @emirarkman . I'm sorry to hear this.

The dates of these actions are important. When you tried to switch to OVO, you are given a date when the switch will occur. This includes the 14-day "cooling off period" to which you entitled under the Consumer Rights Regulations, 2013. This 14 day period starts on the day you initiated the switch... not the day on which OVO told you that the switch will occur.

I suggest that you email hello@ovoenergy.com and make sure that you state the dates.

Your rights are protected by the Office of the Energy Ombudsman, but they cannot accept your case unless you have evidence that you have raised a complaint.

An energy switch is always handled by the Receiving Supplier (OVO in this case). But if your contract with them was never "live", then this might create a problem. You obviously can't raise a complaint against a Supplier with whom you don't have a contract!

In this case, I think it is important that OVO took your first Direct Debit payment. This suggests that you have paid for a service, and therefore the Contract is active. Therefore, when you send your email, make sure that you state the date when the DD was taken from your bank account.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @emirarkman

Best thing to do would to call OVO and tell them. Also, if you have cancelled the direct debit this will stop them trying to take money from your account

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @emirarkman . I'm sorry to hear this.

The dates of these actions are important. When you tried to switch to OVO, you are given a date when the switch will occur. This includes the 14-day "cooling off period" to which you entitled under the Consumer Rights Regulations, 2013. This 14 day period starts on the day you initiated the switch... not the day on which OVO told you that the switch will occur.

I suggest that you email hello@ovoenergy.com and make sure that you state the dates.

Your rights are protected by the Office of the Energy Ombudsman, but they cannot accept your case unless you have evidence that you have raised a complaint.

An energy switch is always handled by the Receiving Supplier (OVO in this case). But if your contract with them was never "live", then this might create a problem. You obviously can't raise a complaint against a Supplier with whom you don't have a contract!

In this case, I think it is important that OVO took your first Direct Debit payment. This suggests that you have paid for a service, and therefore the Contract is active. Therefore, when you send your email, make sure that you state the date when the DD was taken from your bank account.
Userlevel 6
Badge
I'm sorry to hear about this, @emirarkman. It's important to add that if we've taken any money erroneously, we'll always issue you a refund.