Solved

I pay £160 Direct Debit but my renewal projection is £6 - is this right?

Why is the projection for moving to a new fixed contract giving a monthly cost of £6? My direct debit is in excess of £160 per month!!!! I do not have a statement for the May/June period.
Finding a way of contacting OVO without using the telephone is impossible without signing up to this system. Why?
Yours in hope MFS
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 June 2017, 15:13

Why is the projection for moving to a new fixed contract giving a monthly cost of £6? My direct debit is in excess of £160 per month!!!! I do not have a statement for the May/June period.
Finding a way of contacting OVO without using the telephone is impossible without signing up to this system. Why?
Yours in hope MFS

Hi @mfurnesssmith

My OVO will base this projected monthly Direct Debit on the available prices and your usage history average. It ignores your current credit balance. If this average is down incorrectly, it might explain this low cost projection. As @Mattj3135 advised one of us mods will need to take a look at this. I'll send you a PM now to ask for your account number, name and DoB.

I'd be interested to see if any other users have see this, so I've tweaked the topic title and added some tags to make it easier to find.

@buzzard - are things sorted with your billing now? It would be good to straighten things out even if you are switch supplier.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @mfurnesssmith welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry to learn of the issues you've been experiencing- to best help you if you click on either @Tim_OVO @Lucy_OVO @Emma_OVO @Emily_OVO or @Max_OVO and send one of them a private message with your name, address, OVO account number & date of birth - whoever you chose to private message will look into this for you and discuss in private chat to help resolve things for you

Hope this helps
I'm leaving Ovo because they could not manage to send me a bill for months, then made silly estimates, then told me there were no meter readings on their system. I kept quite a few emails so could show that the readings had been on their system, they still claim not to have deleted them.

Keep any emails they send you and get everything in writing so they cant lie about it later.

And if your debit is for £160 month you can almost certainly pay less by switching - I will be paying less.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yours in hope MFS

Hi @mfurnesssmith

My OVO will base this projected monthly Direct Debit on the available prices and your usage history average. It ignores your current credit balance. If this average is down incorrectly, it might explain this low cost projection. As @Mattj3135 advised one of us mods will need to take a look at this. I'll send you a PM now to ask for your account number, name and DoB.

I'd be interested to see if any other users have see this, so I've tweaked the topic title and added some tags to make it easier to find.

@buzzard - are things sorted with your billing now? It would be good to straighten things out even if you are switch supplier.

Thanks,
Tim
@Tim_OVO No, of course not. Apparently you have decided it's simpler just not to send me any bills. I assume I'll get a final bill but with Ovo I'm not counting on that being correct either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Tim_OVO No, of course not. Apparently you have decided it's simpler just not to send me any bills. I assume I'll get a final bill but with Ovo I'm not counting on that being correct either.

I'll send you PM then @buzzard - let's get this sorted!

Tim
I contacted someone by email once I eventually found the address. The issue is something to do with a new smart meter. The projection was calculated manually by the respondent. I just jave to wait for the not so smart meter to be on the system. 6 weeks apparently!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I contacted someone by email once I eventually found the address. The issue is something to do with a new smart meter. The projection was calculated manually by the respondent. I just jave to wait for the not so smart meter to be on the system. 6 weeks apparently!!!

Yes @mfurnesssmith - it sounds like we'll need to update your account with the new smart meter details first. That 6 week timescale is a maximum though! :)

Tim
@Tim I move to another supplier in a day or two. Ovo managed to send me a bill then decided that as I was leaving I would only get a final bill. So I'm looking forward to getting that and seeing just how much they overestimate my usage for the time up to the switch. I have submitted readings today and 2 days ago so there will be no excuse for one of your silly estimates . I will keep your emails confirming you have these readings.

Today I have been pestered by a phone call about getting a smart meter fitted by you - despite telling you I dont want a smart meter and I dont want telephone calls. More reasons not to ever consider returning to Ovo. And please do not send further pms.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Tim I move to another supplier in a day or two. Ovo managed to send me a bill then decided that as I was leaving I would only get a final bill. So I'm looking forward to getting that and seeing just how much they overestimate my usage for the time up to the switch. I have submitted readings today and 2 days ago so there will be no excuse for one of your silly estimates . I will keep your emails confirming you have these readings.

Today I have been pestered by a phone call about getting a smart meter fitted by you - despite telling you I dont want a smart meter and I dont want telephone calls. More reasons not to ever consider returning to Ovo. And please do not send further pms.

@buzzard - If you can send us a PM with your details, we'd be more than happy to look into your account so we can help you further with this.

Lucy
Run away mfurnesssmith! They quoted me £50 per month and that's now shot up to £150 per month in less than 6 months, over winter! It would have been cheaper to remain with my previous supplier. Total con artists!

As soon as I can work out how, I'm leaving!

Jan
There does seem to be a bug in the estimating system. I pay £130 monthly, which is about right, but the recommended amount is £65, which is quite silly unless OVO have secretly halved their prices.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We don’t want you to feel conned @JanH64. The quote will be based on the information provided at the time. If you didn't pop in your annual consumption figures in kWh’s, then you’d have received a quote based on average usage for your household etc.

It’s really important to look at the unit prices and standing charges when you switch suppliers as Direct Debits are always subject to change as they’re fully dependent on usage.

Lucy
I've been through this. I gave you the annual figures from last year. Apparently, rather than wait to see if it balances our over the year, our direct debit has been treble because we haven't got any credit built up from the summer months.

Working on that principle you should only take people on during the summer months when they have time to build up credit.

Otherwise everyone is going to have a higher usage over winter. So either stick to your quote or put it somewhere that you're going to hike up the price during winter but will lower it during summer. Although I've not done summer yet so I don't know how true that's going to be. Or whether you want us to keep the payments high to build up the credit to get us through winter!

Whichever way you look at it, your pricing strategy is flawed!
I completely agree Jan. I built up almost one thousand pounds of a credit balance last year as I was clearly paying far too much (£227 per month). It took me months to get money refunded and my direct debit was reduced in November to £189 which was set to reflect an annual usage.

Within one month I was getting pestered with emails telling me that I needed to amend the direct debit as it wasn't covering my usage! Of course it wasn't as I was starting off in winter, the point is that it evens out over summer, it is set at the right amount to reflect what I use annually.

After several of these and several replies from me pointing this out someone eventually phoned me and I then discovered that to add insult to injury I should have been on a far cheaper plan. A call was scheduled for the next day to sort all this out. Nobody called. Still nobody has called. I was horrified to then discover that they have taken the liberty of increasing my direct debit to £230 without discussion so more than I was paying when I ran up a thousand pounds of credit.

I have now emailed to complain. Absolutely shocking customer service. Will now be exploring how to switch suppliers.

This company is a disgrace, happy to hold hundreds of pounds of customer money, not so happy when they are owed!
Userlevel 6
Badge
That's disappointing to read, @CharlieTG. We want to make sure everyone's paying the right amount for their usage, which is why we run regular Direct Debit reviews. How we know what you're using will be based on the readings you provide.

It sounds like you could have given a reading after a while without them, which would have triggered the second review. If you'd like anything looking into, please send a message to the team on Facebook and Twitter, including your account number, full name and DoB.

Thanks,
Nancy