Solved

I have increased my Direct Debit as requested - why are you still sending bullying letters?

• 31 January 2018
  • 1 reply

Why are your bullying letters and emails still arriving after I have increased my DD as requested? I'm still not convinced that the increase was required as in all the time we've been with OVO we've had to request a refund each year.... Also, because of the Smart Meter we haven't given a meter reading in ages, yet when I look at Meter readings the phrase "You Gave" keeps appearing. I can assure you I haven't given.

If this carries on I can see us going our separate ways, as it is I'm going to have a look at the Ombudsman site and see what comments are there..... This isn't the OVO I joined.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 1 February 2018, 15:29

Hi @SBilly ,

I’m sorry to hear about this. You shouldn’t be getting letters like this if your account is in credit and you’re paying a reasonable Direct Debit. One last letter might have slipped through the net if you altered your Direct Debit just as we were about so send one. If you’re still getting them, please PM us on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can check everything’s okay.

We recalculate our customers’ payments on a regular basis depending on a few things, which could be:

- A new plan: If a fixed price plan comes to an end, and you choose to renew onto a new plan (or if you don’t renew and roll onto the variable), you’ll have new rates. Whether they’re higher or lower, this is going to change the total amount you’ll pay across the year, so we’ll make a projection of how much this is likely to be and adjust your payments if needed.

-Your annual usage has changed significantly: Every time you (or your smart meter) gives us a reading, this feeds into your average consumption figure. If we notice this figure changing significantly, we’ll want to make sure you're paying enough if you continue using at this rate.

-A debt on your account: While we absolutely expect that customers will use more than average during winter, and may accrue a slight debit on their accounts, if this hasn’t been cleared after a while we may ask you to put your Direct Debit up to pay it back.

In terms of the website saying ‘you gave’ - this means it’s been provided by your smart meters. The website has two options for readings, either ‘we estimated’ (for when we didn’t get a reading at all) or ‘you gave’ (for any actual readings whether provided by the customer or a smart meter).

I hope this has helped answer you're query, do comment any further questions below.

Thanks,
Nancy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @SBilly ,

I’m sorry to hear about this. You shouldn’t be getting letters like this if your account is in credit and you’re paying a reasonable Direct Debit. One last letter might have slipped through the net if you altered your Direct Debit just as we were about so send one. If you’re still getting them, please PM us on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB so we can check everything’s okay.

We recalculate our customers’ payments on a regular basis depending on a few things, which could be:

- A new plan: If a fixed price plan comes to an end, and you choose to renew onto a new plan (or if you don’t renew and roll onto the variable), you’ll have new rates. Whether they’re higher or lower, this is going to change the total amount you’ll pay across the year, so we’ll make a projection of how much this is likely to be and adjust your payments if needed.

-Your annual usage has changed significantly: Every time you (or your smart meter) gives us a reading, this feeds into your average consumption figure. If we notice this figure changing significantly, we’ll want to make sure you're paying enough if you continue using at this rate.

-A debt on your account: While we absolutely expect that customers will use more than average during winter, and may accrue a slight debit on their accounts, if this hasn’t been cleared after a while we may ask you to put your Direct Debit up to pay it back.

In terms of the website saying ‘you gave’ - this means it’s been provided by your smart meters. The website has two options for readings, either ‘we estimated’ (for when we didn’t get a reading at all) or ‘you gave’ (for any actual readings whether provided by the customer or a smart meter).

I hope this has helped answer you're query, do comment any further questions below.

Thanks,
Nancy