Solved

I feel my Direct Debit review is totally unfair, why has it increased?

Show first post

79 replies

Userlevel 1

It’s a real shame to hear you feel bullied, @NoiseMaker, that is absolutely not our intention, I’ll try and be a bit more thorough in my explanation.

The reviews are based on estimates of what you'll use over the course of a year, so sometimes we may recommend an increase even if you’re in credit. This can be the case in the summer, when you’re using less and building up a credit, but we anticipate the higher usage over the winter. The estimations are based on usage history in the property, so the more meter readings we have, the more accurately we can estimate the Direct Debits.

Check out this page which we’ve designed to explain the process: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review.

We’ll always recommend a Direct Debit increase prior to us automatically increasing the payment.

Thanks! 

Here's the fact. Ovo state that if I don't increase DD to their recommendation they will force it. Why would I want to increase to a level that would far exceed the credit needed to cover payments. At one point I had hundreds in credit, which was way more than needed. I'd rather have MY MONEY invested for me; not for ovo.

Userlevel 5

That’s understandable, @NoiseMaker, and if you feel the suggested Direct Debit amount is too high then it suggests the usage figures we have for you are wrong. This is something we’d be happy to investigate if you’ve got Facebook or Twitter  message us there with your name, DoB and account number. If you don’t use social media, email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. 

Don’t forget you earn interest on credit balances with us, find out more here

Userlevel 1

I've read through posts on your credit system, which even has one person with a degree in mathematics baffled. No thanks. 😂

Userlevel 1

NoiseMaker,

Good morning. I had a similar problem as you may see from my previous many postings on this site. To me it seems that the supply company want to keep their cash flow positive and do not want to have customers owing them money even though their customers signed up to spread the usage payments over twelve months.. I had plenty of excuses for changes to the Direct Debit but never understood why it had to alter when my annual consumption remains reasonably constant, although it does vary between winter and summer months. At the end of the contract I “voted with my feet” and hopefully the problem has gone away. If not I shall have to return to this Forum in a humbler mode.

Grandfather

Userlevel 1

NoiseMaker,

Good morning. I had a similar problem as you may see from my previous many postings on this site. To me it seems that the supply company want to keep their cash flow positive and do not want to have customers owing them money even though their customers signed up to spread the usage payments over twelve months.. I had plenty of excuses for changes to the Direct Debit but never understood why it had to alter when my annual consumption remains reasonably constant, although it does vary between winter and summer months. At the end of the contract I “voted with my feet” and hopefully the problem has gone away. If not I shall have to return to this Forum in a humbler mode.

Grandfather

At the beginning, Ovo seemed too good to be true. I said to my wife, Watch this space. After being with them for 12 months hassle free, problems started. I wasn't surprised. A major problem was when to send in meter readings. Not exactly rocket science, but they made a meal of it as they took for extortionate estimated readings. There's really no need for all the crap they're creating, but then that's greed and the profit monster for you. I'll be looking around near end of term unless Ovo buck up. NB: on the two occasions I've been in debit I've always made a top up payment immediately so never owed them anything. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just to clear up the when to send in readings query, @NoiseMaker

If you don’t want any estimates to show on your statements, you’ll just need to give readings the day before your statement is due.

If you are unable to do it on this date, or you don’t want to leave it late in case something comes up, I would advise just providing it in the week leading up to your statement. We will estimate from the date that you enter your reading, to the date of the bill, just to top it up a few days to the bill date. The majority of your bill will be accurate, leaving just the last few days to be estimated.

For example, if you receive your bill on the 10th of the month, the best date to submit a reading is the 9th. If you submit a reading to us on the 7th, we would estimate 2 days to top your account up. We do this because we bill you on the same date every month, this makes your bills of equal length and makes it easier to show your monthly usage. If we billed you every time you gave a meter reading, your bills would be unequal in length and it would make it harder to compare your usage month on month.

If you don’t want estimated meter readings, your home may be eligible for a smart meter. To find out if we have engineers in your area please click here, our booking page will show any availability we have in the next few weeks.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 1

Given the health and safety issues surrounding smart meters and also the obvious problems they're creating as can be bore out by the complaints on here, who in their right mind would choose a smart meter. As for date to send in readings, I've been advised to send readings in on 8th if the month when my statement is due on 12th and haven't had any estimated bills since. Do you people actually communicate with each other? I used to send in my readings when I received the email asking me to and constantly got estimated excessive bills. I still get those emails, but have been told to ignore them and send readings on 8th of each month. Why can't you just sort it out for people instead of keeping everyone confused? Perhaps confused people are what generate revenue eh?

Userlevel 1

Just to clear up the when to send in readings query, @NoiseMaker

If you don’t want any estimates to show on your statements, you’ll just need to give readings the day before your statement is due.

If you are unable to do it on this date, or you don’t want to leave it late in case something comes up, I would advise just providing it in the week leading up to your statement. We will estimate from the date that you enter your reading, to the date of the bill, just to top it up a few days to the bill date. The majority of your bill will be accurate, leaving just the last few days to be estimated.

For example, if you receive your bill on the 10th of the month, the best date to submit a reading is the 9th. If you submit a reading to us on the 7th, we would estimate 2 days to top your account up. We do this because we bill you on the same date every month, this makes your bills of equal length and makes it easier to show your monthly usage. If we billed you every time you gave a meter reading, your bills would be unequal in length and it would make it harder to compare your usage month on month.

If you don’t want estimated meter readings, your home may be eligible for a smart meter. To find out if we have engineers in your area please click here, our booking page will show any availability we have in the next few weeks.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m sure you can appreciate, @NoiseMaker, I have no access to your account, so I can’t give specific guidelines, just general advice. 

If your estimates are massively out of line, considering you give regular readings, I’d recommend reaching out to the team, just to ensure everything is as it should be. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

I’m sure you can appreciate, @NoiseMaker, I have no access to your account, so I can’t give specific guidelines, just general advice. 

If your estimates are massively out of line, considering you give regular readings, I’d recommend reaching out to the team, just to ensure everything is as it should be. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks!

You're not paying attention. Try reading my post again.

Userlevel 1

Good morning Noisemaker and many others.

Just seen this article on the BBC website:

“Ovo Energy to pay £8.9m for overcharging customers:

Ovo, which may become the UK's second-largest energy company, has been forced to pay £8.9m by regulators after it overcharged customers.

The firm, which bought SSE's retail business last year, sent inaccurate statements to more than half a million customers.”

Seems to me that we may have been correct in saying that there has been something not right with their accounting, metering direct debit calculations.

Grandfather Maxwell

Userlevel 1

Good morning Noisemaker and many others.

Just seen this article on the BBC website:

“Ovo Energy to pay £8.9m for overcharging customers:

Ovo, which may become the UK's second-largest energy company, has been forced to pay £8.9m by regulators after it overcharged customers.

The firm, which bought SSE's retail business last year, sent inaccurate statements to more than half a million customers.”

Seems to me that we may have been correct in saying that there has been something not right with their accounting, metering direct debit calculations.

Grandfather Maxwell

keep us informed. Got any direct links?

Userlevel 1

So Ovo can just play fast and loose with our money? When I first signed up with Ovo I said to my wife that this seems too good to be true. Seems I was right. Greed and profit abo e customers once again. If the regulator doesn't sort this then it opens the flood gates for profiteering companies to overcharge by small amounts and get away with it. Theft is theft. I'll be requesting Ovo look at my account history and adjust it properly.

Userlevel 1

NoiseMaker,

The link on the BBC site is:

www.bbc.co.uk/business-51292695

Grandfather Maxwell

Userlevel 1

Cheers. Found it before. Gross incompetence or theft. That's a big wedge to be a slight mistake. But then we don't make mistakes; we get results.

Userlevel 1

HI Darren,
I have a smart meter. I would very much like it to be checked.
Thanks for your response,
Vicky

I've been warning about smart meters for years. People have started waking up now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @NoiseMaker @Grandfather Maxwell 

We don’t always get things right and accept Ofgem’s findings. We apologise to any members affected and can reassure you that all issues are now resolved. We hold ourselves to extremely high standards, and we have worked hard to put things right. 

More info on our blog post here

Userlevel 1

Hi @NoiseMaker @Grandfather Maxwell 

We don’t always get things right and accept Ofgem’s findings. We apologise to any members affected and can reassure you that all issues are now resolved. We hold ourselves to extremely high standards, and we have worked hard to put things right. 

More info on our blog post here

I'm sure you do, but never the less, it's not right that if potentially, thousands of customers who may have been overcharged by £9:99, they have to foot the bill. If I took £9:99 from someone without their permission that would be classed as  theft..... a criminal offence. OFGEM have got a nerve and basically put Ovo above the law imo.

Userlevel 1
Previous postings referred to “personalised replies”.

Hi@Grandfather Maxwell 

We don’t always get things right and accept Ofgem’s findings. We apologise to any members affected and can reassure you that all issues on affected accounts are now resolved. We hold ourselves to extremely high standards, and we have worked hard to put things right for our members. 

Thanks

Hi @NoiseMaker @Grandfather Maxwell 

Glad to see you are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Grandfather Maxwell, obviously with an issue on this scale, OVO have issued an official statement in response to Ofgem’s findings, and this is the one we’ve been asked to pass onto our members. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Grandfather Maxwell, obviously with an issue on this scale, OVO have issued an official statement in response to Ofgem’s findings, and this is the one we’ve been asked to pass onto our members. 

As normal these days, everyone is wearing their hats and singing, "I'm just doing my job."

I’ve got the same problem as you. Being asked to increase my Direct Debit. I’m on Economy 10 but  My bills for a small electric only 2-bed flat are almost three times other similar flats according to OVO charts.  I need to find out why this is as I totally  observe the off peak periods and only use dishwasher and washing machine during off peak.  Will try to get clarification from OVO.  

Userlevel 5
Badge

Check out the above thread, @tinytess, you’ll find lots of information regarding the Direct Debit review process. 

Thanks! 

I am now waving goodbye to Ovo for this very reason - after forcing my direct debit up ‘because i would not have sufficient credit etc etc. I ended up £850 in credit in one payment!! A quarter of my annual expenditure! I reset the dd based on last year and requested a £600 refund, still £350 in credit as next payment taken- same again though trying to force my dd up despite a full prediction from last 2 years to a level far higher than necessary. Luckily i can go and am this month! I shouldn’t have to be watching my account all the time constantly having to change the DDs to an acceptable level. So far every estimated reading has been far in excess of the previous period. Despite regular readings no matter what time of year! Bye Ovo

Userlevel 1

I am now waving goodbye to Ovo for this very reason - after forcing my direct debit up ‘because i would not have sufficient credit etc etc. I ended up £850 in credit in one payment!! A quarter of my annual expenditure! I reset the dd based on last year and requested a £600 refund, still £350 in credit as next payment taken- same again though trying to force my dd up despite a full prediction from last 2 years to a level far higher than necessary. Luckily i can go and am this month! I shouldn’t have to be watching my account all the time constantly having to change the DDs to an acceptable level. So far every estimated reading has been far in excess of the previous period. Despite regular readings no matter what time of year! Bye Ovo

Do you have a smart meter by any chance?