Solved

How do I get a quote based on my actual consumption figures?

• 6 February 2018
  • 5 replies

I approached the OVO website for a quote (to compare with others) with a view to a possible switch. Unlike other suppliers' quote pages OVO's seemed to make no provision for basing their offer on my actual consumption figures (which I know well), but rather used some average default figures which were way OTT. I am concerned that if I did sign up the OVO system would base their charges on their estimated higher consumption figures - at least until the discrepancies became apparent in the accounts. Can one get OVO to accept my figures (as long as they are accurate)?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 7 February 2018, 13:14

Hey @Telegram Sam,

If you don't click on the 'refine my quote' option and input your personal usage figures, the website will generate a quote based on UK average consumption figures. These are 3,100 KWh for electricity and 12,000 KWh for gas.

Your Direct Debit quote will be based on these totals, multiplied by the given unit rates for each plan, plus standing charge and then divided by 12 to get a monthly figure. If you're selecting a fixed price plan then your unit rates and standing charges won't change, but your Direct Debit can be adjusted to better suit your usage if the quote was a bit off.

When switching suppliers, we’d always recommend comparing unit rates and standing charges, rather than a general quote. This will give you the most accurate idea of what you’ll be paying.

Hope this helps!
Nancy
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Telegram Sam,

If you don't click on the 'refine my quote' option and input your personal usage figures, the website will generate a quote based on UK average consumption figures. These are 3,100 KWh for electricity and 12,000 KWh for gas.

Your Direct Debit quote will be based on these totals, multiplied by the given unit rates for each plan, plus standing charge and then divided by 12 to get a monthly figure. If you're selecting a fixed price plan then your unit rates and standing charges won't change, but your Direct Debit can be adjusted to better suit your usage if the quote was a bit off.

When switching suppliers, we’d always recommend comparing unit rates and standing charges, rather than a general quote. This will give you the most accurate idea of what you’ll be paying.

Hope this helps!
Nancy
Yes now that I see the Refine My Quote button all is clear. I'm guessing that if I DO input my personal consumption figures then the system will calculate my monthly D/D charge as 1/12th of my annual total (without reference to UK average consumption figures)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes, @Telegram Sam, that's what happened when I joined OVO 3 months back.

Because I haven't yet got a Smart Meter, I've then decided to enter monthly readings. I can then compare actual usage against the "average" helpfully displayed on OVO's usage graph. I'm currently running below both their average expectation and the estimates derived from my Annual Consumption figures which I entered on the website when joining.

I'm not sure if this is because it's a mild winter or because I installed a solar-thermal panel at the same time. But it's useful to see what OVO would be estimating if I wasn't providing manual readings. Very helpful.
When comparing fuel suppliers they need figure usage for gas and figure usage for electricity. Ovo have not supplied me with these separate figures, which makes it hard to give anew supplier accurate figures. Last time I got my usage figureshowingthem individually was 2016/2017. Does anyone still get individual usage figures from ovo,or am I missing something
Userlevel 5
Badge
HI @michaelcox06 - more info on this topic above ☝🏼

You can either take two readings 12 months apart and subtract the lower from the higher to get a years usage (if you do this for gas you'll also need to convert it to kWh). Alternatively, you can get in touch and we can provide you with your average annual consumption figures.

Cheers

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings