Solved

How do I change Direct Debit details?

I've just switched to OVO and the first first payment will be taken on 18 September.
I want to use a different current account from the one I gave when I filled in the switch form.
How can I do it?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 3 September 2018, 12:58

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**

Hey @lrnz

I've just checked with the team, as I thought this was a bit odd, and the good news is you can now change this in MyOVO!

It's a bit hidden, but go to your account, then go to My Profile. About two thirds of the way down the page, you can update payment details! It's there!

I've updated ITGeek's answer too, so its fully correct and super helpful to others that may ask the same question!
View original

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @lrnz

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the best energy supplier in the UK :D

Yes you can, head to MYOVO portal and click into My Profile. There is an option there to update! Any problems, I would recommend you call OVO customer support team on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks
Matt
Thanks.
That's very annoying. What's the point of having a personal account in a portal if I have to tell my bank details over the phone?
OVO, anything to say?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @lrnz

I've just checked with the team, as I thought this was a bit odd, and the good news is you can now change this in MyOVO!

It's a bit hidden, but go to your account, then go to My Profile. About two thirds of the way down the page, you can update payment details! It's there!

I've updated ITGeek's answer too, so its fully correct and super helpful to others that may ask the same question!
In MyOVO everything in the left menu under Energy is greyed-out (not active): Meter readings, Usage, Payments, My profile.
None of that is available to me.
Hey @lrnz - could you send me a screenshot of this via a PM?

To send a PM - just click on my name and then 'send message'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
In MyOVO everything in the left menu under Energy is greyed-out (not active): Meter readings, Usage, Payments, My profile.
None of that is available to me.

I think this might be due to your account not being fully set up yet as you have only just switched. Apologies, I think we missed that in the initial responses. It can take up to 6 weeks from your switch date for your online account to be fully available to you. There are 2 options, you can call and update the details ahead of your first DD, or wait until the first DD has gone out and your online account is active, and change it ready for the next one.
I actually had a hunch that this was the case.
I called and changed the bank.
To me it looks like there is an inconsistency between being able to amend the DD over the phone but not through the online portal while the account is fully set up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I actually had a hunch that this was the case.
I called and changed the bank.
To me it looks like there is an inconsistency between being able to amend the DD over the phone but not through the online portal while the account is fully set up.

Yes apologies for the confusion lrnz, while we set up everything with the industry behind the scenes when you come on board with us, there are certain functions within your online account that cannot be set up until that is complete, hence needing to call us during that time. However should you need to change this again in the future, you will be able to do this via your online account.

Darran
OK. Thanks.
On the OVO help pages it says that you can change your Direct Debit bank details online via MyOVO and your profile page.

Well, I can't. I can see my current Direct Debit details and can change the payment amount but not the bank details.
Can this only be done on the phone?

I did email 4 days ago but have had no reply. Currently sitting on hold whilst typing this and getting increasingly annoyed.....
'm trying to change bank details for my direct debit, but can't do it online. Under My Profile, where I expected to be able to do it, there's no mention of bank details, nor is there anywhere else in my online account pages. And if I don't do it online, I read that I lose Self Service rewards, as explained below.

"You’re on the 2 Year Fixed Energy (all online) plan
As you’ve stayed with us for three years or more, we pay a 5% OVO Interest Reward for keeping your account in credit. As you’re on a fixed rate, All Online plan, you’re eligible to receive the Self Service Reward of up to £60 per year (dual fuel). To earn the reward you need to manage your account online and follow our Self Service Reward guidelines."

Extracts from the Self Service Reward guidelines read:
"14.3 How do I qualify for the Self Service Reward? You must meet all of the following Self Service Reward Rules:
(a) self-serve and manage your account online, which includes having a valid email address at all times and receiving all communications electronically;
14.5 How will you apply the Self Service Reward Rules? We will apply the rules using our fair discretion at all times. For example: ‘Self-serve’ means that you use all online tools available such as My OVO, the OVO Energy app and OVO Help to manage your account instead of contacting us (by any means, including phone, email or social media), unless you want to make a complaint or you have an emergency."

According to this, if I use email or phone to ask why I can't change my direct debit bank details online, I stand to lose the self service reward. So, am I expected to have to keep an old bank account open just for one direct debit for Ovo? This can't be right.
I phoned Ovo and explained the problem. The call handler mentioned that he could see I'd emailed. He explained that I was part of a minority of customers whose accounts are on the new web platform, which doesn't yet allow online changes of bank details; I hadn't realised that not everyone was on it. He took the new bank details and confirmed I wouldn't lose my self service rewards. After coming off the phone, I checked my online account and could see the new bank showing, and then checked my email and saw a confirmation message.

So, all's well that ends well. It could have been dealt with better if the new website had been tweaked to explain that a minority of customers would be unable to do everything online yet but wouldn't lose self service rewards as a result. Ah well, that's computer geeks for you...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
On the OVO help pages it says that you can change your Direct Debit bank details online via MyOVO and your profile page.

Have a look above @Colin2030 - you should be able to amend the Direct Debit details as long as we some on file for you.

If not, give us a call, as we don't like to take down bank detail over email or social media for security purposes: http://ovoener.gy/myovo
I have had my email from Ovo showing me the details I had given for my DD when I signed up for the switch. This is now a bank account I no longer use. When I try to find a route through my Ovo to change the details, no such option appears.
The closest I get is:-
All about your direct debit
We’ll send your Direct Debit confirmation and guarantee together in one email - please take a minute to check that we’ve got the right bank account info. So long as everything’s OK, we’ll take your first Direct Debit on the stated date.
Wel this isn't the right bank account. What can I do about that?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @colin.ingrid,

I've moved your post to this topic, the info you need is above.

Thanks!

Says you can change bank details in my profile but you cant only the direct debit

Userlevel 5
Badge

Check out the best answer, @Biddies1:slight_smile:

Hi, how do I change my direct debit bank account details my next payment is due in over 2 weeks days and I would to change it by then. But I can't find where on the site I have been looking in my payments section and the my profile section but could find anything to help me. Thanks :)

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @lrnz

Hey, @Reb58, check out the above best answer.

:relaxed:

Hi Amy_OVO, 

I have had a look based on the best answer, but still couldn’t find it. Please could you provide a screenshot of the part of the account details where this is. As I genuinely  cannot find where it is on the My Profile part of the website

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey @Reb58,

Here’s a screenshot of where you need to click from my account: