Solved

How can I increase my Direct Debit to an amount other than the recommended amount?

• 29 June 2019
  • 6 replies

I keep a careful eye on my energy usage every month and calculate what my charges should be for the forthcoming year by factoring in price increases. This has worked well for the past couple of years and I finished last year £19 in credit. When we started this current year OVO calculated no increase needed, but my calculations for the coming year indicated that I should increase my payments by £10-£11 per month, but now OVO will not allow me to increase by less than £21 per month. This figure has increased since last month and is probably due to a heavier than expected gas (heating) usage during May/June. OVO have applied this increase to estimate for June/July and the coming year. It has been 33C this afternoon and the heating is off so I don't expect such an increase in heating for the coming month.
OK, we can't predict the weather, but since my year runs from May -> April, we are in credit for almost all of the year. If necessary, I would prefer a further increase later in the year.
I paid an extra £10 last month, but I don't know if this was taken into consideration in OVO's calculations.
So, is the only way round this problem to set up a standing order alongside the direct debit?
DaveY
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 1 July 2019, 11:37

Hi @DaveY as you use energy, we are constantly reviewing this to then try and predict what you are likely to use over the rest of your contract to ensure we are then making any tweaks to your direct debit amount to make sure your payments are actually covering what you use. This is also why your DD amount may fluctuate frequently @AlanB.

@AlanB is also right in regards to topping up via MyOVO. You can top up the credit in your account whenever you would like to or feel you need to. It's not possible to select an amount lower than the recommended increase, as we've predicted the amount based on what you've been using. This may of course change @DaveY over the next few weeks as we will see you using less, then adjust the recommended amount accordingly.
View original

6 replies

This is what annoys me about the myovo page - the recommended direct debit amount seems to go up and down for no good reason and bears no relation to what you think you should be paying. And as you say, you cannot increase your direct debit by a lesser amount. I would just leave it as it is and top up if/when necessary.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @DaveY as you use energy, we are constantly reviewing this to then try and predict what you are likely to use over the rest of your contract to ensure we are then making any tweaks to your direct debit amount to make sure your payments are actually covering what you use. This is also why your DD amount may fluctuate frequently @AlanB.

@AlanB is also right in regards to topping up via MyOVO. You can top up the credit in your account whenever you would like to or feel you need to. It's not possible to select an amount lower than the recommended increase, as we've predicted the amount based on what you've been using. This may of course change @DaveY over the next few weeks as we will see you using less, then adjust the recommended amount accordingly.
Yes, I understand how you might predict usage to enable you to come up with a "recommended" amount for the DD. But, you can only predict based on assumptions. You wouldn't know, for example, that a customer might be going away for 6 months in the winter.

However, that doesn't answer the question as to why it is not possible to enter an amount lower than the "recommended" amount, but can enter an amount which is much higher. At the moment I can only enter any monthly amount between £206 and £618 ! Why pay so much more than is necessary? Surely a range with a 10% deviation, either way, from the "recommendation" would be reasonable. It should be a simple computer program change.
Unless it is OVO policy to overcharge on Direct Debit.
Userlevel 5
However, that doesn't answer the question as to why it is not possible to enter an amount lower than the "recommended" amount, but can enter an amount which is much higher. At the moment I can only enter any monthly amount between £206 and £618 ! Why pay so much more than is necessary? Surely a range with a 10% deviation, either way, from the "recommendation" would be reasonable. It should be a simple computer program change.
Unless it is OVO policy to overcharge on Direct Debit.

We're not trying to overcharge you, @DaveY. The recommended amount will be enough to leave you with a £0 balance at the end of your contract, if the recommended amount is too much you'll need to get in touch to discuss this. They'll be able to calculate the lowest DD we can set if necessary and this can be updated on our system.

If you believe the recommended amount is wrong, this could be due to your usage figures so this will need to be checked. You can send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number. If you don't use social media email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.
As long as the change is an increase above the current Direct Debit, I still can't see why I cannot change my Direct Debit.
On Friday (13/Sept) the recommended amount was £234. I have a current balance of £460.49.
I currently pay £185 by Direct Debit and am now topping up every month by a further £12 to make £197.
You estimate that I will be paying £2,470.13 this year. I estimate £2,376.97. A difference of £93.16.
So why pay an extra £37 per month for the next 9 months. That could be an overpayment of £333. Either of us could be wrong in our estimates but, while I'm so much in credit, why can't someone tell me why the change I want isn't possible? I would have thought that any increase would be preferable.
Userlevel 5
Did you get in touch with the team about this, @DaveY? The usage figures sound like they may be wrong which is affecting your Direct Debit, this is something we'll need to look into.