Solved

First Direct Debit payment taken 1 month early

• 29 September 2017
  • 13 replies

I'm brand new to OVO Energy. I was told that my first Direct Debit payment would be taken on 30 October. I was notified that I joined on 27 September and on 28 September OVO took their first payment. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this normal? It seems unfair to me as I will likely need to sort out my balance with British Gas in the next few days.
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 29 September 2017, 16:44

Hey @Kindlefirebabe Welcome to OVO and welcome to our forum! Great to see you getting stuck straight in. We hope you will enjoy being part of our forum family.

In regards to your question, the first direct debit would normally be taken pretty soon after the date you come on supply so it sounds unusual that you thought it would not be taken until the 30th October. Sometimes though, the Direct Debit date can be set just before the supply start date, but you'll always be notified of your Direct Debit date ahead of the switch.

It would be worth checking all the emails and letters you will have received from us as you should have received an email, probably a week or two before you came on supply to advise of your first direct debit date. If you don't see one, its always worth checking your junk or spam folder just in case it ended up there.

Let us know how you get on, any other questions feel free to search the forum or comment below.

Darran
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @Kindlefirebabe Welcome to OVO and welcome to our forum! Great to see you getting stuck straight in. We hope you will enjoy being part of our forum family.

In regards to your question, the first direct debit would normally be taken pretty soon after the date you come on supply so it sounds unusual that you thought it would not be taken until the 30th October. Sometimes though, the Direct Debit date can be set just before the supply start date, but you'll always be notified of your Direct Debit date ahead of the switch.

It would be worth checking all the emails and letters you will have received from us as you should have received an email, probably a week or two before you came on supply to advise of your first direct debit date. If you don't see one, its always worth checking your junk or spam folder just in case it ended up there.

Let us know how you get on, any other questions feel free to search the forum or comment below.

Darran
This is what it says in the My OVO App.
"All about your Direct Debit
We’ll send your Direct Debit confirmation and guarantee together in one email – please take a minute to check that we’ve got the right bank account info. So long as everything’s OK, we’ll take your first Direct Debit on 30/10/2017."
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Kindlefirebabe Thanks for the reply, this is a little clearer now, although its not from a customer perspective (we need to fix that).

Ok so as we took a direct debit on the 28th Sept, just after you came on supply (which is what we'd expect to happen), the app is actually showing you next direct debit date not the first. The wording is confusing, so apologies if this has caused concern!

Hope that makes sense, if you'd like us to look at your account to confirm then send me a message (you can do this from my profile) with your account number, full name and DoB. I can check the comms you were sent to confirm if the dates are correct.

Darran
It looks pretty clear to me! OVO are saying they will take my first payment on 30 October. Please do not tell me that the app is telling me that this is when my second payment will be taken. It clearly states that this will be when my first payment will be taken. Your emails told me to refer to My OVO for the date my first payment will be taken, which is what I did and this is what it said.
I'm brand new to OVO Energy. I was told that my first Direct Debit payment would be taken on 30 October. I was notified that I joined on 27 September and on 28 September OVO took their first payment. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this normal? It seems unfair to me as I will likely need to sort out my balance with British Gas in the next few days.

This happened to me too. I joined on the 27th and I had a payment taken on the 28th as well. No notification, plenty of emails but nothing saying a payment would be taken that early. It didn't happen with BG or EDF. Very disappointing start.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi both

Thanks @Kindlefirebabe for sending your details via a PM. Leave that with us we will take a look asap and confirm the situation.

As I mentioned before it would be very unusual to take the first direct debit so long after coming on supply so there is something not quite right here. It might be possible that the app is wrong in which case we need to fix that but we will come back to you as soon as we can.

@Madstad if you want to send your details too we can check your account.

Darran
No point asking you to check any further as I’m sure you’ll point to T’s and C’s.
I’ve never paid a month up front before. If I wanted to pre pay I would have got a pre pay meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Kindlefirebabe

I understand my colleague Emily contacted you over the weekend regarding this. I believe she was able to confirm the comms you received while going through the switching process which I hope has cleared this up for you.

Hope that all made sense, if you have any other questions, please feel free to search the forum or post below so we can help.

Darran
Yes thanks for all of your help Darran. I hope you can sort out the problem with the App showing incorrect date, however.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes thanks for all of your help Darran. I hope you can sort out the problem with the App showing incorrect date, however.

No worries at all, glad we could get this cleared up for you!

And don't worry, we've made sure this is fed back to the App team. We need to make sure we are not causing confusion around this.

Darran
I've just switched to Ovo and my old supplier has still taken their direct debit too!!
All the emails have said diy back and do nothing, I'm guessing I should have cancelled my direct debit though???
Anyone else had this issue?
Yes that’s happened to me too ! Over £200 in one month - not great for the bank balance . My previous provider organised a refund but that took 7 working days , I wasn’t a happy bunny 🙁
Hey @Kmiller and @MrsB

I've moved your queries over to this already existing topic which explains why we take Direct Debit's in advance.

Any other queries, just let us know!

Thanks,
Emma