Economy Energy Final Refund

Hi all ,
i left economy energy last November 2018 ,i have just received my refund of over £300 ,so thanks, its been a long time coming but is most welcome.What i can say is when i have phoned ovo on many occasions they are prompt, always courteous and professional and hopefully all of you waiting will be credited soon.
Its a shame that the process is so protracted but hopefully it can be speeded up in the future as companies are very quick to accept and demand payment but very slow to refund.

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @kjf,

Great to hear you've finally got your refund - we know it's been a bumpy road!

Normally, refunds wouldn't take this long at all. If you're a current OVO customer and your account is up to date with meter readings, we can send you a refund of any excess credit in your account in a few days. The reason it's taken so long in this instance, is due to Economy Energy collapsing, and us taking over. We had to wait for Economy's administrators to produce final bills for all customers before we could process any refunds, which isn't part of the normal refund process.

Hope this helps!
That's great news, I haven't heard anything about mine, in fact I had totally forgot until I noticed your post.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Please get in touch with our team, @LORRA62, they'll be able to check the progress of your refund.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Hope this helps!
I’m still waiting on myn.
Userlevel 5
Take a look at Amy's last message, @Richy23, this has all the info you need!
All very well to tell me how to contact you. I have phoned twice - been promised a cheque (nearly 4 months ago) emailed several times since and heard precisely nothing. Not even an acknowledgement of my emails.
Hi, still waiting on the transfer closing from my old supplier EE as advised on takeover.

We were told to continue payments as usual, which I did. My bank statements show 2 payments made after you started to supply on the 7th Feb 2019.

1st payment 8th Feb for £75.94 and 8th March £75.94. Neither have been credited to my OVO account nor explained in any way or shown on a closing statement from EE.

I was transferred without my approval and told it would be taken care of and not to change what I was doing. Still needs sorting 7 months later.
Userlevel 5
Have you checked your junk folder, @kevinf? Our emails may have been filtered into here. If they're not I'd recommend calling about this.

Every time you email us you should receive an automated email back to say what the latest response time is. If Economy Energy didn't pass us your email, the team wouldn't be able to find your account.

Hi, still waiting on the transfer closing from my old supplier EE as advised on takeover.

We were told to continue payments as usual, which I did. My bank statements show 2 payments made after you started to supply on the 7th Feb 2019.

1st payment 8th Feb for £75.94 and 8th March £75.94. Neither have been credited to my OVO account nor explained in any way or shown on a closing statement from EE.

I was transferred without my approval and told it would be taken care of and not to change what I was doing. Still needs sorting 7 months later.

You'll need to get in touch with the team about this, @brumas, send them an email on hello@ovoenergy.com. It may be worth sending them a screenshot of the bank statement showing the payments you made. You can block out any sensitive data.
I am still waiting for mine too and it's a lot of money. I have just mailed you guys, so I eagerly await your response.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Hammerhead - the team should get back to you within 24 to 48 hours!
Userlevel 1
I've been waiting for a refund from my old Economy Energy account.
Grant Thornton have said they sent the final bill to OVO on 16th July (I've been waiting for this since January 2019).
I've sent emails and made numerous phone calls to OVO and they have said they have not received it.
I've phoned Grant Thornton in August and September and they insist it has been sent to OVO, and OVO claim they have not received it.
Who is not telling me the truth ?
How can I escalate this to get a resolution?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Please get in touch with our team, @LORRA62, they'll be able to check the progress of your refund.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 30 5063.

Hope this helps!

Please reach out to our team, @toppers, the details are above, they be able to check the progress of this.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your reply.
But it doesn't help really.
I sent an email to OVO hello@ovoenergy@.com (and Grant Thornton) last Thursday 12/09/19 and have not had a reply. Previous to that I sent an email on 09/09/19 and the reply said they had tried to contact Grant Thornton but they could not get through as they were put in a queue (but when I phone Grant Thornton I get through ok.
I've sent other emails on:
26/07/19
17/07/19
14/06/19

and my last phone to OVO was 09/09/19 and I keep getting told they are waiting for the refund details to be sent by Grant Thornton, and in two calls they have confirmed it was sent to OVO on 16th July.
Userlevel 1
THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE AND INCOMPETENCE BEYOND BELIEF

So I contact Grant Thronton on Friday 20th September (yesterday) and they tell me (again) that the refund was sent to OVO 16th July. I forwarded this email to OVO yesterday and today, 21st September, they still say they have not received details of the refund.

SOMEONE IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH.

How do I get this resolved.
1) Is there a manager at OVO can I speak to?
2) Is there another such as OFGEM that can intervene
3) Next step I'm thinking of asking my MP to intervene and help resolve.
Userlevel 6
Badge
I sincerely doubt anyone is not telling you the truth, @toppers. When Grant Thornton send the info to us, it's passed to the Finance team who process it and then add it to your customer account, at which point the customer services team will be able to see a memo on your account. So there might be a delay in it showing up fully on our end.

If you'd like me to check, send me a PM with your account number, full name and DoB.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
PM sent as requested.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Nancy
Grant Thornton said it was sent on behalf of Economy Energy to OVO on 16th July. And by my calculations that is over 2 months ago.

How long does this process take ?

That is why I originally said someone is not telling me the correct information. Has it really been sent by Grant Thornton (they tell me yes), and has it been revived by OVO (they tell me not).
It would be interesting to find out how many people have actually been refunded, 12 months on and I am no nearer receiving my money back and it seems OVO and the administrators are happy to keep pointing the finger at each other and it's extremely frustrating despite assurances that my final bill has been verified and issued, who can unlock this situation as it's impossible to get any clarity on this matter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @toppers and @Chrisvose

Just to update you on where we are, we are definitely not holding up anything our end. We are continuing to work closely with the administrators to keep things moving along for those still waiting for a refund.

At the start of this journey, we had over 90k customers that were waiting on a final bill, so that any outstanding credit could be refunded. OVO cannot process refunds until the administrators have issued those final bills and they've been validated. The good news is so far over 75% of those customers that were waiting on a final bill, have been passed to us by the administrators and had their credit refunded. We are still working on the remaining pot. Our aim is to process credits back to customers within one month of you receiving your final bill.

Hopefully this gives some context on what a huge job this is on both sides to try and resolve this for everyone. We are issuing refunds off the back of this process twice a week, so there is definite progress.

Another thing to call out, if you never actually came on supply with OVO, the only way to get an update on any credit owed is to call us so we can investigate your specific situation and find out where in the process you are.

Hope this helps. We appreciate it's frustrating, but we are following the process agreed with the administrators when we took over EE.