Solved

Comical Direct Debit suggestions

has anyone here been asked to increase their monthly direct debits to something daft with these cowboys?
I live in a 2 bed apartment, with only myself living here, pay £60 DD a month.

Yesterday I got an email asking to increase to £2000 a month....

It isn't the first time this has happened, in fact last time, they changed the amount themselves to something daft like this, and I had to contact them.

With the amount of issues I have had since switching, I do wonder what kind of people run OVO
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 July 2019, 17:05

Hmmm, @ctarry. It sounds like something's gone wrong here, which may be unique to your account. We're going to need to take a look into it to offer any further help. Please give us a ring (0330 303 5063), drop us an email (hello@ovoenergy.com) or send us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB.
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello

This is not very good service from OVO, especially as its happened before. I assume the email from OVO is automated and has not been seen by a human...

Have you checked what OVO is suggesting your direct debit should be on the website under Payments - is it a realistic figure or not?

If you are concerned that they may increase the direct debit again then I think you will have to contact OVO again.

As this has happened before you may wish to complain see:-

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

This may help ensuring the underlying cause is resolved this time and and that this does not happen again.
on their website it also recommends £2k 🤣

I really do not understand them. In June I used 66 kWh less than May, yet it says compared to last moth, I am using +23%
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi

The usage part of the website has never really worked very well. The figures on your home page where is says you have used xx% more of less are not very accurate and on the usage page it has been saying:-

"Doesn't look right?
We're working on upgrading your usage graph to make it more accurate."

For as long as I can remember.

I think OVO have given up trying to fix this- they just dont want to admit it.

A graph to show how much energy a customer has used and a info box that tells you what the % change since last month cannot be that hard to figure out...?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hmmm, @ctarry. It sounds like something's gone wrong here, which may be unique to your account. We're going to need to take a look into it to offer any further help. Please give us a ring (0330 303 5063), drop us an email (hello@ovoenergy.com) or send us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB.
Oh no ... not again.

I joined OVO thinking that they would be better than the last 2 mickey mouse energy companies I used. At least their websites worked whereas OVO energys website is utterly useless.

Will I need the Ombudsman or will OVO get its act together? Watch this space.

Perleease, can anyone tell me how to give them my meter readings using Windows 10? 😟
ohh really
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @maingate welcome to the forum.

You can enter your readings on your MyOVO account here, your version of Windows should not impact this.

You'll need to work with us and our team to see if we can resolve your complaint before taking it to the Ombudsman, take a look at our complaints procedure.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com.

Hope this helps!
Hi Amy,

I checked your link to My OVO Account. It has not changed at all, I still cannot input meter readings.
If I input meter readings regularly I get a discount on my Bill. I can not input readings so therefore I will not get a discount. Am I too cynical ... or not?😉
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @maingate - have you managed to log in? If so, can you let us know if there are any messages or error preventing you from submitting a reading?
Hi Nancy,

When I log in to MyOVO all I get is the multi stage progress report of my joining OVO. The latest update is from June 7th, informing me that my Gas supply has now been taken over by OVO.

There is nowhere on the website to input meter readings.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Ahhh, this sounds like a different issue then, @maingate. It sounds like your online account is stuck on the 'onboarding timeline' which could be for a number of reasons, but most likely because we haven't had all the details of your switch confirmed yet. If you get in touch with the team (0330 303 5063), they'll be able to clarify.
I am having a similar problem.

I am being recommended an increase which I think is excessive. I do want to increase it but by £15 a month not by £100 a month (so from £28 to £45, which is more than any month's bill so far, not from £28 to £134, which is £90 more than I have ever paid).

I tried to alter it, but the settings don't allow any change below the recommendation.
I've sorted this out now, thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for letting us know you've sorted this @JohnPeters !
I'm afraid I've had exactly the same problem - in May 2019, I received a notice from Ovo saying they wanted to up our direct debit from £74 per month to £117 for our gas & electricity... despite our energy usage not changing. So I contacted them, was assured that this was an error and it would not be changed and that a note would be put on my file with them.

Then, in September, I raised a query with their customer support after I noticed that their systems were predicting we would use more than twice as much volume of gas each month compared to last year (I've been with them since early 2018, and absolutely nothing has changed)... their customer services team first told me that it was because they were billing me on estimated readings (still doesn't explain why they thought we would use twice as much gas) and advised me to get a smart meter (no thanks); then told me it was because I'm on the standard variable tariff (pretty sure it's the price per unit which varies with tariff, not the quantity!!).

This morning, I got a letter from them saying they have now gone ahead and MORE THAN TRIPLED our direct debit to £234 per month... given that their own accounts payment page reckons the most we might use in the heaviest month (December) is £160 for gas + electricity, and in a quiet month £58, I think this is bordering on theft and in my opinion it's a gross abuse of the direct debit scheme. So I'm bringing this to the attention of their CEO and OFGEM, as well as putting on Twitter alongside their new campaign.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Wow @Lxb that definitely doesn't sound right at all! Thanks for sharing this on the forum so we can try and help get to the bottom of this.

We'd need to get access to your account to check exactly what's going on here, but there is definitely something going here that we need to check and resolve. Have you had a faulty meter diagnosed by us, or had any changes to your home that may have changed the amount of energy you use? I'm just trying to understand if anything at home has changed that may have triggered this?

The best way to resolve would be to get in touch with our Care team asap. They'll be able to check your account and find out what's going on. If you'd like me to follow up with them, you'll need to send me a PM with your full name, address, postcode and account number so I can try and offer further help on this one.

Darran