Solved

Can someone explain OVO's calculations for average Direct Debit amounts?

• 8 October 2018
  • 17 replies

What form of maths does OVO use to calculate an average?
I want to pay £210 a month, the minimum you will accept is £285...
I look forward to your explanation.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 11 October 2018, 16:08

@Redbrick, @Supersonic, @Susiebird

Hi all,

Unfortunately estimating your energy costs in the future isn't an exact science and a number of variables can affect it. We try as best we can to ensure our customers’ monthly payments match their usage. If this balance begins to shift, we do what we can to correct it sooner rather than later.

You can find out more about the calculations involved here:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review

If you've got any further questions, do let us know!
View original

17 replies

I have the same problem. Estimated annual usage of £549, £112 in debit = £661. Ovo’s division by 12 = £106 pm. My version of arithmetic gives £55 pm!
Same here. Estimated usage £565, already £30 in credit. 565 divided by 12 is 47, they want minimum of 51!
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Redbrick, @Supersonic, @Susiebird

Hi all,

Unfortunately estimating your energy costs in the future isn't an exact science and a number of variables can affect it. We try as best we can to ensure our customers’ monthly payments match their usage. If this balance begins to shift, we do what we can to correct it sooner rather than later.

You can find out more about the calculations involved here:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review

If you've got any further questions, do let us know!
That isn’t a reply to our question! Please explain why the requested payment is more, in some cases much more, than 1/12 of your estimate of our usage, rather than matched to the estimated usage.
That isn’t a reply to our question! Please explain why the requested payment is more, in some cases much more, than 1/12 of your estimate of our usage, rather than matched to the estimated usage.

We'll apparently Supersonic the case is solved!

Here's another twist to the tale, this is what it shows today. I think a DD payment going in and a bill going out has changed the figures. You'd have thought the DD calculator would have a bit of logic!

Getting more like B gas everyday !!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Supersonic - sorry if that link didn't cover everything. Have you had a read through this section about calculating how much you need to pay?

For us to have asked for more than 1/12 of your projected yearly cost per month, your account balance could be low or in debit, you may have moved onto a new plan with different rates, or your average usage may have shifted.

If there's anything specific that you'd like us to look into, let us know.
Usage graphs for the mobile app and website differ (numerically). The mobile app is correct, the website is a complete fantasy. This month October, the mobile app shows usage close to the billed amount (£89.26), whereas the website shows more than £200.

The DD setting suggests annual usage of 12 x 191 (£2,293), while the mobile app predicts £1,853.

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @certanti - in the screenshot there it's your balance that's shown as £293.11. This is how much credit you have left in your account. The billed amount will vary per month depending on what you use. We'd need a screenshot of both sets of information so we can compare/investigate.
I understand I have a credit balance. I don’t mind having a credit balance.

What I am querying is the way you display the same information in two ways - one is correct, the mobile app reconciles closely to the billed usage in the monthly statements and I can predict my bill from my meter readings.

The website shows the same information, but the amounts do not reconcile with statements.

Compare with Mobile:

I imagine that these reconciliation differences may cause issues for the less numerate of your customers. If you need any help with testing your apps then please let me know?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@certanti thanks for those screenshots! The Usage section of MyOVO and this usage app section should link up. The MyOVO screenshot is from your Payments section, which indicates costs instead of usage.

We're working on something much bigger and better though. Initially just for customers with a smart meter (in stages), but eventually everyone - watch this space!
@Tim, I understand the the difference between usage and cost, may point is that the shape of the cost and the usage should be similar, except for the offsets due to the standing charge (which necessarily only affect the cost).

Regards
I should also have added thst the cost graph should slign with the statement costs!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@certanti We are working on this and are currently forecasting what improvements can be made. For now, if the usage graph looks a bit off, please refer to your statements as these will always be correct. ^Lucy
@Tim_OVO Why does the shape of my usage curve (submitted 21 days ago) have the same shape as the usage curve of @Redbrick (submitted 26 days ago), apart from the monetary values differing, the shapes agree, fairly well. As though you use a standard usage prediction, as opposed to deriving individual predictions from individual's data points?

Regards
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @certanti - If you're referring to the payments graph, this is a standard graphic illustrating the general trend of usage for most customers over a year. The figures will change depending on your own bill amount.
This one. The shape will be different for all users - the monetary amounts will also differ. The examples I quoted previously, seem to be the same underlying shape, with different numbers.