Solved

Can my Direct Debit be reduced if my property is empty?

• 10 February 2019
  • 1 reply

Due to a change in personal circumstances I will be living in my home for only 6 months of the coming year
(one month here, one month elsewhere) will the direct debit change with my change in line with my reduced energy consumption as I have been quoted for 12 months use? Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 14 February 2019, 13:18

Hi @Maggs123,

Your Direct Debit is designed to be an average of your total yearly costs, divided by the 12 months in the year. More info on this here.

If you still own the property or are still liable for the energy bills, you'd need to continue to pay the Direct Debit. If you have smart meters, we'll be able to collect readings and your statements will reflect the fact that there's been no consumption and the credit balance on your account will likely go up. If you have traditional meters, and readings are not provided during the period you're away, we'd have to use an estimated reading to create your bills. This will be in line with average consumption for the property. Once you're back at the property, if you provide us with a reading at this point, we can correct any estimated readings and credit the difference back into your energy account.

You'd be able to request a refund of this credit, or reduce your payments and use the credit to cover bills going forward.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Maggs123,

Your Direct Debit is designed to be an average of your total yearly costs, divided by the 12 months in the year. More info on this here.

If you still own the property or are still liable for the energy bills, you'd need to continue to pay the Direct Debit. If you have smart meters, we'll be able to collect readings and your statements will reflect the fact that there's been no consumption and the credit balance on your account will likely go up. If you have traditional meters, and readings are not provided during the period you're away, we'd have to use an estimated reading to create your bills. This will be in line with average consumption for the property. Once you're back at the property, if you provide us with a reading at this point, we can correct any estimated readings and credit the difference back into your energy account.

You'd be able to request a refund of this credit, or reduce your payments and use the credit to cover bills going forward.

Hope this helps,
Nancy