Who wants to meet up online? What shall we talk about?

Userlevel 7

It’s been a while since any forum members visited the OVO Bristol HQ office

It’s probably going to be a while till we can arrange another visit, but that doesn’t mean we can’t host an event. The question is - would you want an online discussion? If so, what would you want the agenda to be based on?

There’s been pretty much constant development of our online account experience. This bring up plenty of talking points. So much so that we’ve created its own private area to discuss and feedback on these changes. Would a meet up dedicated to this online portal be useful to you? There’s potential for really valuable insight to be gathered! 

We’ve had lots of Smart Home trialists join the community recently. Would a get together be useful for you to share your experience and to learn from other trialists on the equipment being fitted?

*Edited*: other discussion points (added by @Jequinlan) are:

• Power generation, the future technologies OVO are supporting to reduce Carbon further
  • Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

I’d love to get something booked in the calendar, to see some familiar faces, to meet others for the first time. Let me know what you think about this in the comments below, and complete the poll! 

Would you be keen to attend an online event hosted by and for OVO Forum community members?

93 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi community members, 

Just a quick reminder about tomorrow’s online meet up, scheduled at 16:30 tomorrow. Event details here:

Thanks for RSVP’ing, @PeterR1947 @NinjaGeek @hydrosam @juliamc @Rob Whitney @hecate @Transparent @Simon1D @Jequinlan @Blastoise186 

Personally I’m really looking forward to (virtually) meeting you, and testing out this format for an online event. Even without a pandemic, with members living far apart, I think online events could be a good option for us longer term. 

For this first session based around our online account experience, I’ve not prepared much of an agenda. I’m hoping the discussion is member led, but ultimately I’d love to walk away from this session having a better understanding of how the group uses our online tools to reduce energy usage or become more energy aware. 

In a way it’s why we’re all here, it’s what this online community aims to do: help people to reduce their carbon footprint with technologies and behaviour changes. What better starting discussion then the tool everyone starts off with, our portal. 

I’ll be logging in a few minutes early so I’m there ready to admit attendees, so I’ll see you all then!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jess_OVO wrote:

What topics would you be interested in discussing at the next event?

“The beneficial societal effect of a TOU tariff when formulated over a pint of real ale”, perhaps?  :beer:

Userlevel 5

Looks like Jess broke her links there! 

Can I still play the newbie card? 

Thanks for spotting this one, have fixed up the original link as well! :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s also worth noting that this place is open to new ideas and there’s a lot of good stuff that comes up from the discussions. In some ways, it’d be great to be able to share some of the progress we’ve made.

There’s also a few members here who are well on the way to potentially being promoted to Super Users. While we don’t reveal the Sekrit Recipe that triggers the upgrade, I’m definitely more than happy to explain a bit more about what it means… And what I get up to with Tim behind the scenes…

I’m also going to broadcast this thread to the other@hydrosam , @SianiAnni , @PeterR1947 @hecate , @kwick1 and @kihon . I think there could be more still. But that’s the best I can think up right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can rarely predict my availability more than a couple of weeks ahead - the complete opposite of @Jequinlan. So it’s best if we fix a time/date and I’ll have something to put in my diary further ahead than anything else. :slight_smile:

Try to avoid Wednesdays coz that’s reserved for family stuff.

As for the platform: 9¾ would be great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Zoom doesn’t work at all for me sadly (it just keeps crashing out for some reason), but I can understand @Jequinlan ‘s request to avoid Jitsi. I won’t force people to use platforms they’re not comfortable with.

However, I have been playing with Google Meet recently using my G Suite account and I can confirm there’s a way to make that work without having to make everyone sign into Google Accounts or reveal personal info.

@Tim_OVO as long as you create the session using your Google Workspace account (you can schedule it either via Google Meet or Google Calendar - as long as you specify to add a Google Meet session!) and just add yourself initially, you can then grab the invite link and send that out to people via PM. Anyone who joins can then specify a name of their choosing, such as their forum username. Just make sure NOT to add people directly to the calendar invite!

It does mean you’ll have to manually let people in when we try to join the meeting, but it’s probably the closest we can get to a reasonable balance and it’s a possible workaround.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Blastoise186 wrote:

when Tim tried it on the last call, his connection lagged

Yeah - I’ve experienced it the other way around. Tim is way ahead of me!

I put it down to me being in deepest rural Devon. The earth’s rotation means that his electrons have less distance to travel, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, my West Country electrons not only have to travel at the speed of light plus the angular momentum of the earth, but they’re also over-coming a time-shift which places West Devon 50-years behind the rest of England.

Userlevel 5

If there’s one thing we’ve learnt from the pandemic, it’s how to hold a virtual meeting! 

I’ll be on hand to help @Tim_OVO keep things on track and make sure everyone gets the chance to chip in. As the new gal on the block, am very much looking forward to putting a few faces to names and learning a bit more about what makes everyone tick.

See you all tomorrow :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

@Jess_OVOwrote:

What topics would you be interested in discussing at the next event?

“The beneficial societal effect of a TOU tariff when formulated over a pint of real ale”, perhaps?  :beer:

We’re on the same wavelength here, Transparent. I'll post a topic poll next week so we can all vote, currently the ones on the (draft) voting list are:

1) Smart home trials and technology.

2) The power sources of tomorrow.

3) TOU tariffs, what, how and why.

4) Something else, I'll leave a comment

Thoughts welcome everyone, in the meantime have a lovely weekend!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Ok Thanks @Blastoise186 I can see this in Google Calendar.

I’m assuming that’s the link “meet.google….” which I can than copy into a broswer while not logged in to Google?? PM me if that’s not the case.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for understanding our first event hiccups, we’ll be taking steps to make sure that the event URL is easier to find and everyone is able to access the next one.

(Have you heard the consultancy story about unexplained loss of sales for an airline that cut back on cabin cleaning? Eventually they worked out that customers thought if they did not sweep breadcrumbs from the trays, they also skimped on maintenance.)

I have heard this story and agree that the discrepancy in the way usage data is shown on the app and online account is an important one.  Any topics raised here are used as really useful feedback for the product teams in question so really help us ‘sweep away the breadcrumbs’ as it were.  It’s also disappointing to hear you are still waiting for your smart meter issues to be resolved - if you’ve not had a recent update it might be worth contacting the Support Team to check the current engineer availability.

But I have become intrigued about the moves towards TOU tariffs. It would appear there’s a way to go - whether the gap is underlying data or presentation to customer apps/PCs, or both, I don’t know.

You’re not alone in wanting to know more about TOU - and it is one of the topics in contention for the next online event. We’ve set up a poll to decide what to cover next so get those votes cast everyone @PeterR1947 @Transparent @NinjaGeek @Jequinlan @juliamc @hydrosam , @Simon1D @Blastoise186 @rajan @Rob Whitney   -

Userlevel 4
Badge

You’re not alone in wanting to know more about TOU - and it is one of the topics in contention for the next online event.

I think TOU tarrif would be really interesting but quite hard to do since Octopus own most of that space with their tariff, API links into home and smart chargers and also octopus go tariffs. For OVO to follow them they would need to be cheaper to get people to move over

Userlevel 4
Badge

I would also be VERY hesitant about going onto any ToU Tariff with SMETS1 hardware, regardless of supplier. If you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, it’s probably safer to avoid ToU right now, even if it’s been upgraded to “S1+” (as we like to call it) and migrated to DCC via the national upgrade schemes.

Given some of the issues I’ve seen, there’s a risk that such tariffs might break if the meter isn’t working properly - and it will drop comms temporarily during the upgrade process. It’s probably best to only use ToU if you’ve got full SMETS2 for the time being.

Not sure I agree.

I have a secure liberty 100 (v1 smart meter) which has been being used by octopus go TOU tarrif very successfully for a long time. Works very well to get cheap 5p electric between 00:30 - 04:30 to charge the car/anything else

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What do we think community members? 

@Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @Simon1D @Transparent @hydro_sam @TomThumb @NinjaGeek @juliamc @Rob Whitney 

Please tag anyone you think might be interested in this- keen to gauge the demand :blush:

Voted! Hell yes!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

What do we think community members? 

@Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @Simon1D @Transparent @hydro_sam @TomThumb @NinjaGeek @juliamc @Rob Whitney 

Please tag anyone you think might be interested in this- keen to gauge the demand :blush:

I’d be happy to put in an appearance online, depending on timing of course, but generally I have flexibility.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You probably already know that I'm definitely up for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In actual fact, one of the other things that might be good to bring up would be how you guys get on with the experience of using the inSided platform here as well. They’re really good with us and they absolutely love getting ideas, bug reports and feedback off users.

So if you’ve got any thoughts on using the actual forum itself, that’d be a good one to talk about. And maybe a few other random surprises we might throw in...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Excellent idea, I’m definitely up for it!

Userlevel 6
Badge

meet up of some of the trialists with those running the schemes

You’re joking, aren’t you? :hugging:

If they’ve read even half of what’s been posted thus far by you and the other Heat Pump Trialists, there’s no way the organisers want to pop their head above the parapet!

I was trying to lure them in 😂

and I can provide constructive feedback 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Interesting IET webinar on heat pumps yesterday by https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/homeowners/our-heat-pumps and a recommended report “Delivering Net Zero: A roadmap for the role of heat pumps”

Didn’t realise their efficiency was 320%

Speaker said should be able to install one for £9K but most installers charge £11K

I can’t imagine the disruption caused doing a retrofit though

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well I hope you’re an expert in creating lures!

Let’s note that @Jequinlan has already accepted the invitation and Kaluza left him without either of his EV chargers working for six weeks!

I too have some constructive feedback to provide, but past experience doesn’t bode well. Even when I turn up at the Bristol HQ, anyone I want to meet with outside of the Moderator Team has suddenly got meetings all day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi.

I would like to add to future discussions:

Power generation, the future technologies Ovo are supporting to reduce Carbon further

Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

I am available most weekdays somewhere between 12 and 2 (just need sight 2 to 3 weeks ahead), 4 to 5pm most weekdays and almost all 48hrs at weekend.

Am very excited 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ahh, I looked at Jitsi Meet and sadly it fails on the Data Security policy and server hosting locations for a secure meeting (well, for UK standards) - Let’s keep discussing options!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, it needs to be secure. If I bring cream-tea to the Meet, I don’t want any hostiles reverse-engineering my jam recipe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s a tricky decision eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to find a single platform that will definitely tick every single box at once. The best you can do is try to find something that has the most reasonable balance and isn’t banned by OVO’s IT related policies.

For me though, 20th April sounds good. I’m free all day as far as I can tell.