Who wants to meet up online? What shall we talk about?

Userlevel 7

It’s been a while since any forum members visited the OVO Bristol HQ office

It’s probably going to be a while till we can arrange another visit, but that doesn’t mean we can’t host an event. The question is - would you want an online discussion? If so, what would you want the agenda to be based on?

There’s been pretty much constant development of our online account experience. This bring up plenty of talking points. So much so that we’ve created its own private area to discuss and feedback on these changes. Would a meet up dedicated to this online portal be useful to you? There’s potential for really valuable insight to be gathered! 

We’ve had lots of Smart Home trialists join the community recently. Would a get together be useful for you to share your experience and to learn from other trialists on the equipment being fitted?

*Edited*: other discussion points (added by @Jequinlan) are:

• Power generation, the future technologies OVO are supporting to reduce Carbon further
  • Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

I’d love to get something booked in the calendar, to see some familiar faces, to meet others for the first time. Let me know what you think about this in the comments below, and complete the poll! 

Would you be keen to attend an online event hosted by and for OVO Forum community members?

93 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m with @tesla_model_3 on this one.

You and @Blastoise186 are in different Distribution Network Operator regions, and so your cheap rate electricity prices and timing would be different. Nevertheless I can’t see any reason why the Smart Meter hardware would have any effect on delivery of a Time Of Use tariff.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I would also be VERY hesitant about going onto any ToU Tariff with SMETS1 hardware, regardless of supplier. If you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, it’s probably safer to avoid ToU right now, even if it’s been upgraded to “S1+” (as we like to call it) and migrated to DCC via the national upgrade schemes.

Given some of the issues I’ve seen, there’s a risk that such tariffs might break if the meter isn’t working properly - and it will drop comms temporarily during the upgrade process. It’s probably best to only use ToU if you’ve got full SMETS2 for the time being.

Not sure I agree.

I have a secure liberty 100 (v1 smart meter) which has been being used by octopus go TOU tarrif very successfully for a long time. Works very well to get cheap 5p electric between 00:30 - 04:30 to charge the car/anything else

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I would also be VERY hesitant about going onto any ToU Tariff with SMETS1 hardware, regardless of supplier. If you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, it’s probably safer to avoid ToU right now, even if it’s been upgraded to “S1+” (as we like to call it) and migrated to DCC via the national upgrade schemes.

Given some of the issues I’ve seen, there’s a risk that such tariffs might break if the meter isn’t working properly - and it will drop comms temporarily during the upgrade process. It’s probably best to only use ToU if you’ve got full SMETS2 for the time being.

Userlevel 4
Badge

You’re not alone in wanting to know more about TOU - and it is one of the topics in contention for the next online event.

I think TOU tarrif would be really interesting but quite hard to do since Octopus own most of that space with their tariff, API links into home and smart chargers and also octopus go tariffs. For OVO to follow them they would need to be cheaper to get people to move over

Userlevel 5

Looks like Jess broke her links there! 

Can I still play the newbie card? 

Thanks for spotting this one, have fixed up the original link as well! :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Looks like Jess broke her links there! Sorry about that.

Please try this one instead if you’re having trouble with the smart meters link taking you to the wrong place.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for understanding our first event hiccups, we’ll be taking steps to make sure that the event URL is easier to find and everyone is able to access the next one.

(Have you heard the consultancy story about unexplained loss of sales for an airline that cut back on cabin cleaning? Eventually they worked out that customers thought if they did not sweep breadcrumbs from the trays, they also skimped on maintenance.)

I have heard this story and agree that the discrepancy in the way usage data is shown on the app and online account is an important one.  Any topics raised here are used as really useful feedback for the product teams in question so really help us ‘sweep away the breadcrumbs’ as it were.  It’s also disappointing to hear you are still waiting for your smart meter issues to be resolved - if you’ve not had a recent update it might be worth contacting the Support Team to check the current engineer availability.

But I have become intrigued about the moves towards TOU tariffs. It would appear there’s a way to go - whether the gap is underlying data or presentation to customer apps/PCs, or both, I don’t know.

You’re not alone in wanting to know more about TOU - and it is one of the topics in contention for the next online event. We’ve set up a poll to decide what to cover next so get those votes cast everyone @PeterR1947 @Transparent @NinjaGeek @Jequinlan @juliamc @hydrosam , @Simon1D @Blastoise186 @rajan @Rob Whitney   -

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jess_OVO  no worry, these things happen all too often.

I’d be happy to do a quick test on set up to ensure smooth running for the future. For info, in case that has anythng to do with it, I saved the invite link to my Google calandar. I have not used Meet in anger for nearly a year, when I rejected it in favour of Zoom for a voluntary group I’m involved with.

I’m less intersted in smart home tech than some others in this group, I’d be happy with daily view and an occasional look at patterns and trends. But I have become intrigued about the moves towards TOU tarrifs. It would appear there’s a way to go - whether the gap is underlying data or presenation to customer apps/PCs, or both, I don’t know.

I’m still waiting for an engineer (60+ days and counting) to reinitiallse the electricity reading on my smart meter. So you could say that I’m interested in the current customer experience as well as the future.

I originally started to go on the forum because of issues with billing (non-smart) and then later raised questions about the initial experience with smart meter installation. More could be done to help people (customers) to understand the journey and to get the best out of the technology for their own purposes.

And now the debate in Treehouse about billing thorough the day has made me realise that there is a mismatch between PC view of usage account and that dispayed by the app - and projections in the absence of readings seem to differ too.

Neither view is right or too far out, but it’s just sloppy and unncesssary for example to have rounding to 2DP on one and integers on the other. I can’t see that giving confidence that the underlying code is accurate.

(Have you heard the consultancy story about unexplained loss of sales for an airline that cut back on cabin cleaning? Eventually they worked out that customers thought if they did not sweep breadcrumbs from the trays, they also skimped on maintenance.)

Userlevel 7

@Jess_OVOwrote:

What topics would you be interested in discussing at the next event?

“The beneficial societal effect of a TOU tariff when formulated over a pint of real ale”, perhaps?  :beer:

We’re on the same wavelength here, Transparent. I'll post a topic poll next week so we can all vote, currently the ones on the (draft) voting list are:

1) Smart home trials and technology.

2) The power sources of tomorrow.

3) TOU tariffs, what, how and why.

4) Something else, I'll leave a comment

Thoughts welcome everyone, in the meantime have a lovely weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jess_OVO wrote:

What topics would you be interested in discussing at the next event?

“The beneficial societal effect of a TOU tariff when formulated over a pint of real ale”, perhaps?  :beer:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think I’ll probably also want to run some simulated meetings via Google Meet as well using the Google Workspace instance I’ve got. I want to see if I can hunt out what went wrong and hopefully try to figure out workarounds. After the snags that happened with the session last night, I’d want to try and learn from it to help prevent it with anyone else I do meetings with in the future.

I’ve also been digging through some inSided docs and I think there may be better ways to use the Events module for future sessions as well. It’s possible that there might be a better way to reveal the invite links. I’ll see what I can figure out for that.

Userlevel 5

Really gutted to hear you were both unable to access the event, @Transparent and @hecate. Your input was greatly missed and I hope this doesn’t put anyone off attending the next event.

I am sure it was an error on our part (and definitely not a reaction to the roasting, Transparent!) and we really should have been keeping an eye on this thread to make sure any technical issues with entry could have been resolved before we started. We’ve taken this onboard and learnt some lessons for the next event. We’re taking feedback to see if we may need to rethink the platform we use to host events in future so will update once this is decided.

As we missed the opportunity to ask you both; What topics would you be interested in discussing at the next event? We had lots of interest in discussing TOU and the future of the grid and which I’m sure you’d have some great knowledge on, Transparent!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Erm @hecate and I were both logged into our Google accounts.

His full name came up on my screen and my Nickname came up on his screen… just as is set in our account status page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries. We’ll definitely test this more heavily next time. Google Meet seems to work OK, we just need to iron out some snags.

Also, @Tim_OVO because I’m magic… I have a pressie for ya! https://support.google.com/a/answer/6208960 Make sure to visit that link while logged into your Google Account, Google Workspace account or “OVO Google” account. The exact content varies on circumstances.

For example… When logged into my Super Admin account for the Google Workspace for Nonprofits instance I’ve got…

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Blastoise186 ok, thanks. I was a bit suprised that whern I clicked on “join” I appeared to be the host. But I'm not in the end bothererd too much about solving the mysteries of what happened as long as you end up with working session. Quick test in advance is obvs good.

Userlevel 7

Ahhhh so sorry to hear you both couldn’t get access, @hecate @Transparent - you were missed!

Google Meet does let you join meetings without a Google Account, but ONLY if the Host/Organiser is using Google Workspace. Meetings hosted from a personal Google Account require all participants to be logged in.

I’m not sure of the difference between my OVO Google account and a Google Workspace, and I’m a bit disappointment that technical issues prevented two of us from taking part. That’s my mistake and we’ll make sure the next event allows private and secure access for all, with an easy to find access route. We did test this a few weeks back but clearly not robustly enough. 

All that said, I’d like to thank every one who did manage to attend or first online meet up! I’ll send you all a private message now to gather feedback, and I’d suggest we get the ball rolling on the next one.

I’ll follow this up tomorrow with some of the top suggested agenda ideas so that we can vote on our favourite. 

Enjoy the evening sun everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sorry about that @hecate and @Transparent .

Google Meet does let you join meetings without a Google Account, but ONLY if the Host/Organiser is using Google Workspace. Meetings hosted from a personal Google Account require all participants to be logged in.

We’ll try to fix this issue for the future runs. Perhaps a few test runs might help next time...

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well @Transparent and I had a chat, but have logged off waiting updates. He managed to mask Google ID, but I failed to persuade Meet to let me use it unless signed into Google

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well I’m now in video contact with @hecate but there’s no one else here.

We’ve used the url ending ofc-mxka-sgc

Userlevel 4
Badge

Same here. I seem to be on my own, but at one point @Transparent seemed to want o join, then went

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm. I’ve tried the same and I can’t get in. I just get “Someone on the call has denied your request to join”.

That’ll teach me to roast Jess on her first week. :disappointed_relieved:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Am I missing out I copied url from above and seem to be waiting...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can someone ping me the meet url @Transparent @Blastoise186 @Tim_OVO @Jess_OVO  as I cannot get it clicking the calendar link!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I might already be waiting in the lobby… Possibly… Maybe...

Userlevel 7

45 minute reminder for this - see you there!

Thanks for RSVP’ing, @PeterR1947 @NinjaGeek @hydrosam @juliamc @Rob Whitney @hecate @Transparent @Simon1D @Jequinlan @Blastoise186