Who wants to meet up online? What shall we talk about?

Show first post

93 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Unfortunately, Zoom has crashed out of the options list as it turns out OVO’s internal company policy completely bans Zoom outright. I don’t know the exact reasons, but it’s something that I’ve heard about in the past. Quite a few places actually ban it as well, the list of those places is longer than you might expect...

Userlevel 7

I would like to add to future discussions:

Power generation, the future technologies Ovo are supporting to reduce Carbon further

Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

Thanks @Jequinlan - I’ve added this to the main topic so these can be used for future events. Also you’ve prompted me to chase up an update from the team that are improving Direct Debit check ins. As I understand, they’ve dramatically reduced the volatility of these. I’ll share more info in the Tech Treehouse as and when I get it. 

Yes, it needs to be secure. If I bring cream-tea to the Meet, I don’t want any hostiles reverse-engineering my jam recipe!

:joy:  Cream on top yeh @Transparent?

The platform debate rages on. I know a community team that hosts monthly events via Jitsi Meet. Insided host events on Zoom. OVO Policy bans the use of Zoom, so I don’t know what to believe. Surely there’s a gap in the market for a reputable, secure, free meeting platform….

How does a provisional date of April 20th sound? Possible times are 12-1pm, or 4-5pm. This gives us plenty of time to outline more details so that everyone can decide if this is one they’d fancy attending? @Simon1D @hecate 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s a tricky decision eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to find a single platform that will definitely tick every single box at once. The best you can do is try to find something that has the most reasonable balance and isn’t banned by OVO’s IT related policies.

For me though, 20th April sounds good. I’m free all day as far as I can tell.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO  20 April is clear for me at the moment, though things can change. Later time may be better, but can’t tell until a day or two beforehand.

As for platform, I’ve been through all this before, without any greater clarity than we have here. Zoom is the least worst in my experience, if you assume that security ain’t guaranted for any free prodcut (or indeed many you pay for).

Ingtrigued why Ovo are so against Zoom, but they have to call it as they see it. Professionally I mostly have to use Teams, and don’t have much good to say about it.

In short I’m not going to object to whatever we use as long as it’s not likely to screw my system

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not so bothered about the platform.

But as I live within a scone’s throw of the Cornish border, I’m not going to be drawn into the ‘cream or jam first’ debate. It’s a basic matter of personal security! :wink:

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming, @hecate

It’s possible that we can use Zoom. It’s an internal policy to avoid that platform, but this won’t be an internal meeting. However we have at least one attendee who’s not keen on the choice. 

@Blastoise186 how rigid is your objection to Zoom? Likewise, @Jequinlan is Jitsi 100% a no go for you?

20th April, seems to work for at least 4 of us. How about our usage visualization tester, @Simon1D? I’d love to get you to join this discussion as I suspect how usage is displayed may feature in this conversation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sadly Jitsi failed even basic security checks so it's a total no go for me. I am happy with Zoom, would tollerate google meet, webex. Not keen on but would do ms teams (my camera refuses to work properly with it) , jitsi and houseparty are absolute nos for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

20th should work for me, if i know time slot soon

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Zoom doesn’t work at all for me sadly (it just keeps crashing out for some reason), but I can understand @Jequinlan ‘s request to avoid Jitsi. I won’t force people to use platforms they’re not comfortable with.

However, I have been playing with Google Meet recently using my G Suite account and I can confirm there’s a way to make that work without having to make everyone sign into Google Accounts or reveal personal info.

@Tim_OVO as long as you create the session using your Google Workspace account (you can schedule it either via Google Meet or Google Calendar - as long as you specify to add a Google Meet session!) and just add yourself initially, you can then grab the invite link and send that out to people via PM. Anyone who joins can then specify a name of their choosing, such as their forum username. Just make sure NOT to add people directly to the calendar invite!

It does mean you’ll have to manually let people in when we try to join the meeting, but it’s probably the closest we can get to a reasonable balance and it’s a possible workaround.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

20th April, seems to work for at least 4 of us. How about our usage visualization tester, @Simon1D? I’d love to get you to join this discussion as I suspect how usage is displayed may feature in this conversation.

No pressure then ;-)

Yes, 20 April (either time) looks ok for me.

Userlevel 7

Great, thanks for letting me know everybody!

So that we don’t miss the boat with @Jequinlan and @hecate, I’m going to pencil this in for the 20th April, from 12-1pm. A possible later date of 4:30-5:30pm is possible as plan B, but not ideal for anyone attending internally. 

A good idea on G meet, @Blastoise186. I’ll test this idea this week, and come back to you all with more formalized plans for an agenda, a format and AOB.

I’m looking forward to this, not quite sure why it’s taken so long for us to do one! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Doh! I can do the later time!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I fully understand if it needs to go ahead without me. But would love to attend. 

Can we add NDB technologies to the future discussion list?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Doh! I can do the later time!!!!

@Jequinlan you were one of the driving forces behind this idea, we want you there. Pushing this back to 4:30 pm is easy. We may be limited with some colleagues attending due to this time but we’ll make do. So, this week I’m going to create an event for the 20th April from 4:30pm. 

Can we add NDB technologies to the future discussion list?

Nano Diamond Technologies? Can do….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you sooo much

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO thanks for confirming time, gives me the best chance of making the meet up.

Userlevel 7

Hi everyone, the event topic is now live, see it here and make sure to RSVP:

@Transparent @Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @hecate @Simon1D @TomThumb 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just a heads up as well. This is the first time we’ve used the Events module here. So we’d also love to hear what you guys think of it and how well it works!

Me and Tim chat with inSided constantly, so if you have any trouble with the feature at all, we’d definitely be happy to forward it for you. Using it is a bit of an experiment, but I’ve got @Tim_OVO covered just in case.

The other bit of advice I can give, is that you can set virtual backgrounds with Google Meet if you wish, so please feel free to choose one if you’d like to. The only snag is that you can’t choose one until after Tim lets you in, but you can also keep your camera off until after you set one. :)

We’ve also done a test run last night, to make sure it all works. So we can definitely say that your email address won’t be visible!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In my case it’ll be the opposite way around:

The background will be real,

but I’ll be Transparent  :hugging:

Userlevel 7

The background will be real,

but I’ll be Transparent  :hugging:

I expected as much :ghost:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I can do that too you know! :rofl:

It’s amazing what my old friend Julian over at inSided keeps in the archives...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The original upload by the way is a GIF that you can find at https://uploads-eu-west-1.insided.com/inspired-en/attachment/05d33daa-9ea3-4c65-b067-6b45be3fc468.gif

It just doesn’t like to work when I copy/paste it for some reason!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Blastoise186  I’ve been checking out latest on Meet as I’ve not used it for a while. Seems straightforward enough and suitable for what we’re planning.

There were quite a few updates over the past year. I noted that change backgound (including blur) is limited to certain specs, but they don’t seem too onerous.

https://support.google.com/meet/answer/10058482#requirements

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Howdy!

Yeah, the background blur/changing feature is a bit limited and doesn’t always work. And in actual fact, it can sometimes cause the connection to crash out as well. I sometimes do one-on-one video calls with Tim to discuss certain stuff in more depth, so I’ve tested this a lot.

While I can have a custom background on no problemo, when Tim tried it on the last call, his connection lagged and crashed out so badly, he had to turn it off. It’s really weird, but Google Meet only ever crashes out on Tim when I’m on the call (and happens EVERY time too!), but it literally never happens on any calls where I’m not involved. Ironic huh?

But yeah… As long as you’re not @Tim_OVO and you don’t have terrible Virgin Media broadband… The custom backgrounds thing works pretty well and can look pretty cool.

I also have Super Admin rights on an unrelated G Suite for Nonprofits instance, so I’ve been able to play with Google Meet via that to make sure it would work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Blastoise186 wrote:

when Tim tried it on the last call, his connection lagged

Yeah - I’ve experienced it the other way around. Tim is way ahead of me!

I put it down to me being in deepest rural Devon. The earth’s rotation means that his electrons have less distance to travel, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, my West Country electrons not only have to travel at the speed of light plus the angular momentum of the earth, but they’re also over-coming a time-shift which places West Devon 50-years behind the rest of England.