Online meet up for May 2021 - get your vote in!

Online meet up for May 2021 - get your vote in!
Userlevel 7

Our next online meet up - May

Following on from our successful first ever online event in April, we’re making plans for the next one, and we want you to decide the agenda.

We listened to attendees at the end of April’s event, outlining some areas they would love to be able to learn and discuss more about. I think we could do with an event dedicated to each of these climate related energy technology subjects. The question is, which one will we do first?!

As well as making your vote, I’d love to your hear ideas for how the session can be run. For example we could have a lead speaker (s) run the session, taking questions after a presentation. Alternatively we could allow the group to run the session, either with a fixed range of discussion points, or a less structured session like the one we had in April. The feedback I had from attendees was that more structure to the agenda might be better, but maybe this depends on the agenda we choose... 

Our aim here is to bring knowledgeable people together with others wanting to know more. To share experience, expertise and interests, so that we leave this session more empowered and confident in the subject matter then before it started. I believe this sort of community power is essential if we’re to fight the climate crisis. So let’s get talking!

As for a time and date, how’s the last week of May for everyone? Date and time preferences welcome :) 

What should the agenda of our May online meet up be based on?

59 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think how much structure and what format to use kinda depends a little bit on the topic in question. For some topics such as Smart Home Trials, having more of a structure to it with some primary discussion points makes sense. However, for a topic like future power sources, having a presentation style with Q&A works better.

I’m pretty confident all the topics in the current Poll will get put on the calendar at some point, so don’t panic if the one you like best doesn’t get chosen this time. I’m always up for holding onto good ideas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well i just added my singular vote to then tie the subjects! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

1st one was amazing and whilst i am massively time starved these days due to trying to grow my company, it is wonderful to see the community doing so well. I do really read all i am tagged in!!

Userlevel 6

Glad you enjoyed it, @Jequinlan!

Nice to know that we’re fostering such a keen and forward thinking community as well. Let us know your general date/time preferences as well as we’ll do our best to schedule in a way that suits everyone!

Userlevel 7

Right then community members, we’ve had 8 votes in so far, I have a feeling we have a few potential attendees who haven’t had their vote. 

So, please excuse the mass-tag, I just want to give you all the chance to have your say in what we talk about in our next meet up. If you have no intention of joining us later this month for our online event, maybe don’t vote in the poll, and please excuse me for tagging you. Otherwise, jump in with your vote! @MrPuds @sylm_2000 @ArundaleP @NinjaGeek @PeterR1947 @tesla_model_3 @Transparent @gmmarcin @juliamc @hydrosam @mrmojorisin04 @TomThumb @Simon1D @hecate - anyone I’ve forgotten, please tag them below. 

I’m looking at the w/c the 24th May. 16:30 worked the last time, let us know your availability that week and we’ll see if there’s a consensus. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

My vote is in 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My vote is in and if it’s 16:30, any day that week for me

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Voted. 

I think the “Smart home trials and technology” and “TOU tariffs” should/cloud be bundled as one topic. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’ve voted and the time is good for me. I missed the last one completely for some reason.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO  I’ve voted.

I have quite a few appointments that week, not all of whihc are fixed on time. So I’ll join if I can at whatever time you set.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for your comments and votes, community members. Smart home trials and technology is currently leading in the polls!

I’ll leave this vote to run until the end of this week just in case there’s any stragglers yet to vote. It’s pretty close after all. But if this is the focus of our session, there’s plenty of things to go after. We could hear from members who have a vehicle to grid (V2G) EV charger, a Powervault energy storage battery, and an electric air source heat pump system. A lot of technology on hand to learn about here. 

Would any owners of the technologies mentioned be happy to lead, in what could be a more structured session? Alternatively we could leave the session agenda open so that we spend our time hearing about the technology the group most wants to hear about.    

I’ll be looking to book this in for May 26th at 16:30, which is very flexible and easy to change if we need to. 

Forgive the mass-tag, but if you have time to let me know your date/time preference and any ideas on how you’d want to use the time available (or to volunteer as a guest speaker), I’d be grateful to hear from you @hecate @PeterR1947 @ArundaleP @Jequinlan @Blastoise186 @hydrosam @gmmarcin @Transparent @Simon1D @juliamc @NinjaGeek @Rob Whitney 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK, so I’ve (eventually) voted. However I’m actually happy with any of the proposed topics on the poll.

It would be heaps better if by 26th we’d actually received some news update from within OVO regarding

• what’s happening post V2G charger trial
  • what sort of Time Of Use tariff concept is being proposed
  • how the obvious faults on the Smart Home Trials might be resolved

because any such information would undoubtedly alter our views on what we discuss.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds good to me! It’s in my calendar now.

@Tim_OVO could you create an Event topic as well, just like last time? Even if we don’t use the RSVP thing, it makes these things stand out very nicely. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

26/5 at 16:30 should be ok with me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Anytime after 17:30 works for me during the week. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Online meet-ups are a great way to bounce ideas & share information, but unfortunately they are not for me. 

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@NinjaGeek wrote:

after 17:30 works for me during the week

Hmm - that’s Pointless, isn’t it?  :wink:

Userlevel 7

The votes are in, no not the Bristol local elections, I mean our poll for our May meet up!

Our agenda, chosen by a majority of you, is: Smart Home Trials and Technologies. 

The meet up: May 26th 16:30-17:30. 

Put this in your calendar to keep it clear. I’ll be posting an event topic later this week with some more info, and I’ll tag you all here when I do so you can RSVP. 

Looking forward to this!

Userlevel 7

As promised, here’s the event topic for you to RSVP to:

To trialists past and present, to members keen to hear about these trials and technologies, come along!

@Gingernut49 @PeterR1947 @Transparent @NinjaGeek @Simon1D @ArundaleP @sylm_2000 @nealmurphy @Jequinlan @Blastoise186 @hydrosam @juliamc @mrmojorisin04 @RAJ @Rob Whitney @jimmysnail @greengrazer @SandraAA @James_N @Mimo @SallyP @JMB @alexb @Wookie @Speps @New ASHP @jenthomson @tesla_model_3 @MrPuds @Stephen Bell 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Reference the smart home trials, are you able to explain the difference between the Zero Carbon Heating trial and the Zero Carbon Homes trial? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I doubt that @Tim_OVOcan provide as much of an answer as we’d like.

If you check what @nealmurphy  posted yesterday in the Treehouse, you’ll notice that OVO only has one-third of the participants. We don’t know how the Trial has been promoted to the other 500 customers.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@Transparent yes I noticed that. So does one or both of the zero carbon heating/homes trials relate to the BEIS trial 250 that OVO have or do we have a mix of trials, funding sources and solutions all going on here and confusing things in the treehouse.

Where my thinking is going is do we have some of us with basic ASHP installations without much tech and some with top of the range ASHP installations with smart tech and control comparing our systems with each other. Are we comparing apples with apples or apples with pears? And it would appear that it’s not clear to some which trial we are on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m certain we have a mix of Trials here… including some with customers from Octopus, who aren’t one of the Suppliers listed in the BEIS Trial that @nealmurphy reported about.

But there does seem to be common thread in that we’ve not had anyone here who has had storage for space heating.

That makes me suspect it’s BEIS (Alex Hobley) who made that decision. It would obviously be reflected in the tender documents he put out at the end of 2019.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m certain we have a mix of Trials here… including some with customers from Octopus, who aren’t one of the Suppliers listed in the BEIS Trial that @nealmurphy reported about.

For the Zero Carbon Heating Trial, OVO are the overseeing organisation for the southeast. It's not a requirement to be an OVO customer for the trial, so there will be customers of a number of suppliers on it as it was promoted in various ways by equipment manufacturers etc.

As for what system everyone has got, I would like to think each system is tailored to the property and wouldn't expect a 'basic' set up, if there is such as thing for heat pumps. How well the systems are optimised could be down to the experience of the installers. Getting my run through of my new system tomorrow so will report in the forum with more details then, but first impressions are good.

Userlevel 6
Badge

As for what system everyone has got, I would like to think each system is tailored to the property and wouldn't expect a 'basic' set up, if there is such as thing for heat pumps.

​​​Mine’s a pretty basic setup, the ASHP has basically replaced the boiler, other than that very little difference other than using elec rather than gas  

How well the systems are optimised could be down to the experience of the installers. 

Alas I think you are right and I drew the short straw on this one.