Tutorial

New feature: Points leaderboard for top volunteers

• 17 March 2020
  • 61 replies
New feature: Points leaderboard for top volunteers
Userlevel 7

Top the table for all your efforts on our community…

We’ve just launched a new feature, which looks at everyone’s contributions to our community (over the last week and ‘all time’), and awards points based on how helpful you’ve been.

It’s about time our volunteers got some recognition, and this is just the start! It will also let newbies and users who need help be able to identify the problem solvers quickly, so they can get the answers they need, when they need it! 

Give us your feedback!

This feature works alongside your rank, badges and influence bar, so nothing will change on those. Although we’re going to be improving these features as well later this year.

We want any user who shares and supports another with their query to get some recognition, and help other users find these volunteers/experts. How else do you think we can do this? What badges should be on offer, for doing what? 

61 replies

Userlevel 7

@Transparent @PeterR1947 @ITGeek123 @D10hul - let’s test the mechanics of this: keep doing your thing on the forum and keep an eye on the homepage - you should start accumulating points….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Oh wow! Points?

Don't you just luv points? :heart_eyes:

Can they be transferred into something else more tangible... like a crayfish sandwich from the cafe in your foyer? :stuck_out_tongue:

And just so I get the idea of scale - how many would I need to get the top prize of a vaccine shot for Covid-19?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh I do love me some points! :kissing_heart:

Will we be able to redeem these points for “cough” OVO swag? Say, when do we get our  OVO Ninja varsity jackets :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Agh! @ITGeek123 just coughed without inserting the required emoji! :mask:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Interesting lets see how it works, I am all about helping on the V2G side and all things EV 

Userlevel 7

Interesting lets see how it works, I am all about helping on the V2G side and all things EV 

Good to hear this, @D10hul - how’s the FB group these days - still kicking off?

@Transparent @ITGeek123 - have a look at the table - it’s working a treat. 

The good thing about this table is you can incentivise and reward being a top volunteer. For example, top 3 users of the week at the time of the next VIP day get ABC. Top 3 all time users at the time of the VIP day get XYZ. That kind of thing. Thoughts and suggestions please! 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Tim_OVO yeah its all busy average of 50 new members a month, its all prices and tariffs at the moment a little hint for the April Bog ! but all in the existing members are enjoying the trail, its a little quiet on the development side but we look forward to some new features or proposals over the coming months. 

Now wheres this table 

Userlevel 7

Wow 50 new members a month! Amazing, and just goes to show how important platform preference is for an online community. 

Check out the homepage @D10hul here - it’s on the right hand side..

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I found the table…

It’s great that you might be offering ABC because I’ve only got H at the moment. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 5
Badge

beaten to the top by the Nija that is @Transparent  lol 

Userlevel 7

beaten to the top by the Nija that is @Transparent  lol 

At the time of me writing my earlier comment, you WERE top @D10hul 

But yes @Transparent is now top. It’s going to take some serious action to get him off that perch. I’m thinking cutting the internet or electricity supply. 

I found the table…

It’s great that you might be offering ABC because I’ve only got H at the moment. :slight_smile:

:rofl:  Is this a genuine bit of Transparent furniture? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hah! No, that’s not my style. But it was inherited from another family member!

The reason @D10hul got knocked off the top of the points was because I had a quick rummage through recent posts to see how the points worked.

I flagged a couple as Spam, answered another three, and I’m suddenly earning points! So although I don’t yet know the scoring system, I have at least worked out that it’s automatic .

And I’ve earned another character on my table too:

Userlevel 7

@Transparent it’s automated point allocation for helpful support of users with their questions. That’s as specific as I’m willing to go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And I’ve earned another character on my table too:

Ha - C what you did there!  

Userlevel 7
Phworrrrrrr this is close

@ITGeek123 @Transparent :astonished:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, but I’ll still be able to post responses after the week’s timeslot has closed for @ITGeek123 . This far to the West, time goes more slowly :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OTOH I do have a disadvantage. I’m about to start plastering a wall:

Note the 30mm insulation barrier which sits below the internal window-cill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OTOH I do have a disadvantage. I’m about to start plastering a wall:

Note the 30mm insulation barrier which sits below the internal window-cill.

Fancy coming to plaster my awful persimmon homes walls?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey, @Tim_OVO does @ITGeek123 get points for re-posting my pic?!

Surely the table leaders shouldn’t be able to get any points for replying to one other.

Else we’ll have @D10hul here all evening with a couple of his EV charging mates scoring points off each other! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 7

Nice try, but I’m not giving anyone any tips on how points are awarded. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So it looks like @ITGeek123 got the most points for the first week

… and he’s roared off the block this Monday morning too!

Do we think he’s actually “working” from home? Or is he permanently sat in his video-games chair, scanning the Forum to try and get more points? :clock1::computer:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I work in IT and I am “working” from home @Transparent. Doom Eternal isn’t going to complete itself :joy:

In my free time I do look at a lot of EV stuff too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hmm - so the number of points awarded for an action seems to have slightly changed this week. Perhaps it was just too easy for Ninjas to harvest them!

And @ITGeek123 I’m not doubting that you are at home, and you may indeed often work from there anyway. But I really must pick you up on your idea of what “work” entails.

Every time you post here, you leave a permanent record of what it means to “work in IT”!

And if we’re not careful, we’ll have @Paschale Straiton using the material to write a script. I imagine it will go something like this:

New Director of HR: I’ve just visited the IT Departmental office. There don’t seem to be any staff manning it.

HR Administrator: No, he works from home.

Director: We have just one person managing IT?

HR: Yes, but he does a great job.

Director: How do we know?

HR: Because the systems are working.

Director: But how do we know he’s actually doing it?

HR: We send him an email and he replies.

Director: Do we even know what he looks like?

HR: Oh yes. He sends a photo of himself sitting at his desk once a month.

Director: Why?

HR: To confirm that it’s him whose received that month’s pay.

Director: And does it look like him?

HR: Well it matches the photo on his LinkedIn account, so I suppose it must be.

Director: [beginning to look very worried] So you’ve never actually seen him face to face. Does he ever visit the offices?

HR: Oh yes, he comes in to do system updates at night.

Director: How do we know?

HR: He emails us the next day to tell us.

Director: Why?

HR: To file a claim for overtime.

Director: And how do we know he’s putting in the basic hours?

HR: We monitor his broadband traffic.

Director: [Brightening up] Ah… so we can see what he’s been doing.

HR: Oh no, that would be a breach of security. We just check that his broadband has been active.

Director: How do we do that?

HR: There’s a VPN set up on our office server which he uses. It provides a log-file of the time, date and how much traffic there’s been.

Director: [Beginning to have doubts again] And who set up that server logging system?

HR: He did. He’s very clever.

Director: He certainly is….

:wink:

Userlevel 7

:joy::rofl:  :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl:

Yes ITgeek is smashing it on the points table. So he won the first week, and currently top for All time. We may need to think of doing something nice if he wins week number 2 as well….. 

I wanna work in IT now! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

:joy::rofl:  :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl: :joy::rofl:

Yes ITgeek is smashing it on the points table. So he won the first week, and currently top for All time. We may need to think of doing something nice if he wins week number 2 as well….. 

I wanna work in IT now! 

You want to work in IT @Tim_OVO. Why don't you? Do you drink plenty of coffee? Do you love receiving cakes from people? Then come and join the dark side 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well that’s the wall finished

@ITGeek123 will probably approve of the choice of base-coat paint.

How the heck has he got so many points again this week? :astonished: