Question

Is it possible to get sight of the 'unnecessary emails' research conducted in November 2019 by Censuswide?

• 25 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

TLDR

See topic title :D

Long Story Not So Short

Hi :)

I’m a newcomer here, this is my first post. Be kind to me: I did search the forum in the hope of finding an answer to my question, but I wasn’t successful.

Now, I’m sometimes an impatient sort. The following could easily be abbreviated, but (in my opinion) the result would be less worthwhile. I’ll let you decide...

I recently discovered the ‘Think Before You Thank’ press release on OVO Energy’s website.

As someone who is an ardent advocate of action to counter anthropogenic climate change, I’m intrigued by this news, and am writing a post about it for my blog (‘Wibble’).

I think it’s always best to try to get information ‘from the horse’s mouth’, and so I always try to offer my audience links to research when reference is made to it. Unfortunately, the OVO Energy press release doesn’t provide a link to the research. And I can’t find a ‘contact us’ link on OVO’s website to ask them directly. Nor can I find a phone number to call them on….

The press release says that the research was commissioned by OVO but actually carried out by ‘Censuswide’. A quick search led me to what appeared to be their website, which does feature a contact form. I filled it in appropriately, pressed ‘SUBMIT’, was presented with an unfriendly message in red saying ‘Google reCAPTCHA verification failed, please try again later’, and, knowing that ‘trying again later’ would almost certainly have the same result, I took a moment out to breathe so as not to punch the wall in frustration while recalling one of my favourite quotes:

The Internet: facilitating miscommunication at the speed of light since the late twentieth century. -- Me

Fortunately, Censuswide’s website features one of those ‘telephone number’ things. I availed myself of it. A nice lady answered the phone immediately, listened politely to my request for access to the research results, and explained that she couldn’t provide me with these as the research was commissioned by OVO. She kindly volunteered to pass my request on to OVO,

I mentioned that I’m sometimes an impatient sort, yes? Well, this is one of those times. I scoured the OVO website again for a way to ask for this information directly; all I found was this forum. And though it meant signing up for yet another ‘account’ -- thank goodness for my trusty password manager! -- I jumped through the hoops required, and here I am! :)

I should point out that if I can get a link to this research, I’d want to put that link on my blog. This may (or may not) affect OVO’s decision whether to allow me access to it. And of course I’d be happy to give OVO sight of my draft blog post before I publish that, if they feel that’s necessary (I have a tiny audience, I don’t think that my words spread all that far).

So there we have it. And now, it’s time to press that inviting green ‘Create’ button below. But judging by how this project has gone up to this point, I fully expect that it will come up with some sort of error (probably ‘Too much text, shorten it’ or some such).

Hmm… think I’ll copy-paste this tome to Notepad first… done.

OK.

Deep breath (wish me luck!)

Here, we, go....

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Welcome @pendantry .

I will admit that this is a really unusual question and I think I’d need to ask for help on this. Please bear with me and I’ll try to ask @Tim_OVO for some thoughts on what to do.

Userlevel 1

Welcome @pendantry .

I will admit that this is a really unusual question and I think I’d need to ask for help on this. Please bear with me and I’ll try to ask @Tim_OVO for some thoughts on what to do.

Thanks, Blastoise186! I look forward to hearing what you discover :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You’re welcome :sunglasses:

We do get quite a lot of spam on this forum and your post nearly got me for a moment! But I recognised that your post didn’t match up to the kinds of things forum spammers usually post. I’ve made sure the mods know to not whip out the banhammer just to be safe.

Chances are someone will know where to look, but as the forums are volunteer led I don’t have access myself.

What I can say however, is that we can help you to close and anonymise your account after your question is resolved, if you don’t plan to keep it afterwards. If you’d like Tim to do that after we’ve solved this thread, feel free to ping an email to forum@ovoenergy.com and he’ll sort that out for you.

Userlevel 7

Hi @pendantry and a very big welcome to the OVO Forum!

I can see you’ve met our content inspector in chief, @Blastoise186

I’ve passed on this question of yours to a colleague within the sustainability team, and I’ll be back here with the latest when I hear. On this particular investigation, you’ve come to the right place and I’ll take it from here! 

In the meantime, have a look at our Plan Zero area dedicated to cutting carbon… I bet there’s something you would find of value there. Maybe you could share something yourself to help any other members looking….

Anyway I’ll be back! 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tim_OVO ! Thank you for your response.

In the meantime, have a look at our Plan Zero area dedicated to cutting carbon… I bet there’s something you would find of value there. Maybe you could share something yourself to help any other members looking….

I’ll do that :)

Hi @pendantry

I’ve passed on this question of yours to a colleague within the sustainability team, and I’ll be back here with the latest when I hear. On this particular investigation, you’ve come to the right place and I’ll take it from here!

I eagerly await your update. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7

Hi @pendantry - just a very quick message to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about this. 

I’ve chased up my colleague today and I’ll be checking back daily until we get you that update. 

Thanks,

Tim

Userlevel 1

Hi @pendantry - just a very quick message to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about this. 

I’ve chased up my colleague today and I’ll be checking back daily until we get you that update. 

Thanks,

Tim

I look forward to hearing from you further!

Userlevel 7

Hi again, @pendantry 

Having heard back from the team, I can confirm we're still using some of the results contained in the research for work that's not yet been released (we included various other questions in the research, including those around types & frequency of emails).

So we're not able to share the actual source file with the results from the questions in unfortunately. However for the moment we’d be able to take any specific questions you have, such as how the research was conducted, who it covered, when it was run etc?

Let me know how we can help. :blush:

Userlevel 1

Hi again, @pendantry 

[...]

So we're not able to share the actual source file with the results from the questions in [...]

Let me know how we can help. :blush:

Thanks for coming back to me on this, @Tim_OVO :)

Well, that’s a tad disappointing. I guess I’ll just have to complete my blog post with a note to say that the research results are currently unavailable, and to contact OVO for them.

Userlevel 7

Yep that’s a good shout, @pendantry - feel free to link to this topic, so your readers can post their questions here which I can forward on and get an answer to. 

Likewise when we do publish the details I’ll make sure to come back here to update you this thread!