News

Has lock-down changed us for better!?

• 23 April 2020
  • 1 reply
Has lock-down changed us for better!?
Userlevel 6

We’re living through a pandemic on a global scale and our lives are starkly different now from just a few months ago, but it’s not all negative. The world has changed in the short time that we’ve been forced to slow down in.

@ITGeek123 I totally nicked this idea from your post here cheers!)

According to The Global Carbon Project, global carbon emissions were expected to rise this year, but instead might fall by around 5 percent – or 2.5 billion tons, the lowest levels seen since the recession a decade ago. More info here.

This is due to none essential travel being put to a stop including commuting, which begs the question, will we need to look at how we all work going forward.

Could this change how all roles that have the capacity to work from home work? I myself know that I will be using the option a lot more than I have done in the past, it’s better cost wise regarding bus fares and adds an extra 2 hours onto my day in free time rather than travel. 

Has anyone else working form home felt the same or are you itching to get back to the office?

I’m due to go on holiday on the 2nd of May, which has obviously been cancelled, the below shows a massive decrease in air travel, which I should imagine will shoot back up when people can re book their summer holidays… if they can. 

BUT what about imported produce? I know a lot of people have been using local greengrocers/butchers/bakers to get fresh goods to avoid mass contact in supermarkets, perhaps this will continue and help to keep emissions down. 

I’ve done some baking whilst in isolation but we’ve also supported our local bakery by buying essentials from there, living in a city its often very easy and often cheaper to overlook these options. Have any of you changed the way you now shop? 

We’re lucky to live in a country where we have most holiday desires within a car journey away, some of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen are in Devon and if you want to Ski head up to Aviemore in the Cairngorms, the air up there is so clear it’s amazing. COV-19 has made me rethink my travel options and what we have on our doorstep is going to be a choice I will consider going forward. 

I am ready to go back to normal life but with a changed perspective, not everything has to instant or at breakneck speed all the time, it’s good to slow down from time to time. 

What about you lot? What has the current lock-down left you thinking, I’d love to know. 

@ITGeek123@Transparent@NoPoke@PeterR1947 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, @Amy_OVO I agree that the world is changing… and a lot of this is for the better.

If Climate Change had caused rising sea-levels as rapidly as Covid-19 has occurred, then we’d have taken much stronger action, much earlier.

When things slowly change over time we seem to be lulled into a false sense of security, as if it’s just part of a cycle. It takes a sudden emergency to jolt us into reality.

I don’t want to go back to how we were at the start of 2020:

• We are becoming a more caring society
  • We are starting to source things locally because supply routes no longer bring us produce from far afield.
  • Parents are taking back responsibility for the upbringing and education of their children.
  • Transport has become a precious commodity, to be used sparingly as required.

And when the lockdown is relaxed, Amy, then there’s a cream tea awaiting you here in beautiful rural West Devon :slight_smile:

Apple blossom at dusk - nature’s way of making zider