Why do OVO use informal language in their emails?

• 25 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Ovo and I have a business relationship, We are not friends. Tell me to ‘check’ things, not ‘take a peak’, language register is important, too informal and you come across as unprofessional.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s an interesting point @JoR.

My own relationship with OVO has actually become informal/friendly over the last couple of years, so I wouldn’t have noticed what you are perceiving.

Having visited Bristol HQ on a number of occasions, I also notice that the workforce is particularly young. I’m decidedly the “wrong side of 30”. So it’s quite possible that their customer correspondence is reflecting the communication style of that age-group rather than being a deliberate attempt to be overly friendly.

I wonder if OVO are actually attracting a younger group of customers as a result of their house-style.

Let’s ask one of the Moderators, like @Nancy_OVO or @Amy_OVO . Does OVO analyse the age-range of its customer base? Is there a histogram you would be allowed to publish here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

That’s an interesting point@JoR.

I’m decidedly the “wrong side of 30”.

I’m also the wrong side of thirty, twice with a few added on but I do prefer the informal friendly approach just like @Transparent  and I don’t think that is at all unprofessional