Solved

What do the flashing lights on my OVO smart meter mean?

• 28 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

There are green and one red light flashing on my smart meterĀ  my IHD is not working is this the cause

icon

Best answer by Firedog 24 December 2023, 00:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVOĀ 

Ā 

These LED indicators are on the Communications Hub, bolted on top of your electricity smart meter.

The left LED displays information about the power status and the Wide Area Network. As youā€™re in the Northern Territory, the WAN signals are picked up by a network of 70 masts operated by Arqiva.

The right LED gives the status of the Home Area Network. This links to your In-Home DisplayĀ (IHD) and gas meter (if present).

Under normal operating conditions, both LEDs provide a green flash once every 5 seconds. This is called the Slow Frequency.

Which LED is red?

Is it flashing once every 2 seconds (Medium frequency), or faster?

Here are the three possible frequency patterns for a fault. But as youā€™re in the Northern Territory, they will flash red, not green:

Ā 

Ā 

If your meter lights are flashing more frequently than every 5 seconds orĀ are solidly on, weā€™d advise carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results:

Ā 

Hope we can get to the bottom of your smart meter issues so you can enjoy the full benefits of going smart!

Ā 

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? -Ā Book today!

Ā 

Interested but not yet an OVO member? -Ā Check out our plans!

Ā 

My gas/electric meter has a red flashing light. What does this mean?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Christopher TaylorĀ ,

Please post photos of it, this helps us know what youā€™re looking at so we can adapt our advice.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

HeyĀ @Christopher Taylor,

Ā 

The following topics may be helpful:

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVOĀ 

Ā 

These LED indicators are on the Communications Hub, bolted on top of your electricity smart meter.

The left LED displays information about the power status and the Wide Area Network. As youā€™re in the Northern Territory, the WAN signals are picked up by a network of 70 masts operated by Arqiva.

The right LED gives the status of the Home Area Network. This links to your In-Home DisplayĀ (IHD) and gas meter (if present).

Under normal operating conditions, both LEDs provide a green flash once every 5 seconds. This is called the Slow Frequency.

Which LED is red?

Is it flashing once every 2 seconds (Medium frequency), or faster?

Here are the three possible frequency patterns for a fault. But as youā€™re in the Northern Territory, they will flash red, not green:

Ā 

Ā 

If your meter lights are flashing more frequently than every 5 seconds orĀ are solidly on, weā€™d advise carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results:

Ā 

Hope we can get to the bottom of your smart meter issues so you can enjoy the full benefits of going smart!

Ā 

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? -Ā Book today!

Ā 

Interested but not yet an OVO member? -Ā Check out our plans!

Ā 

Ā 

There [is] one red light flashing on my smart meter

Ā 

I canā€™t see that this was covered byĀ @Transparentā€™s otherwise excellent answer. Many modern OVO-supplied meters have a little red lamp which you may see flashing. Ā This is a modernĀ Aclara SMETS2 meter:
Ā Ā 

The green arrow points towards the red lampĀ 

Ā Ā 
The red lamp flashes at aĀ rate governed by the meter constant shown beside it, here 1000 impulses per kWh. If there is not much power being used, it will flash infrequently. Switch the kettle on to see it flashing about once a second. This is how the meter measures how much energy youā€™re using: it just counts each Wh passing through it.

If you count the number n of flashes in a minute, the formula connecting the frequency of flashes to the power draw in kW (the load, L) for a meter like this with a meter constant of 1000 isĀ L = 0.06n.Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge

My gas/electric meter has a red flashing light. What does this mean?

Ā 

See here:

I know @Emmanuelle_OVOĀ posted a link to that thread earlier, but thereā€™s a recent addition to it that you may not have seen ...