Solved

We have been OVO customers for over 3 years, why are our annual consumption figures wrong?

• 12 August 2019
  • 4 replies

We have been OVO customers for over 3 years and even in the early days my estimate of our annual gas and electricity consumption differed from OVO's estimate. However after the first year both we and OVO had actual figures to use but OVO still got them wrong so I asked how hard was it to add two columns of figures up for 12 consecutive months and get them right? I got an apology and a promise that it had been referred to the tech department. I heard nothing more.

Two years on and we approach the end of our current contract and OVO has offered us a deal based on our "annual consumption". It appears that the tech department is still struggling with the arithmetical function "add" in old numbers or SUM in modern spreadsheets because they still cannot seem to add the numbers up correctly.

How can I have confidence in OVO if a simple thing like that seems to defeat them?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 14 August 2019, 20:34

Points well made @ElectricTV

During that 2 years, OVO has ceased their contract with an external provider of their billing software and have developed their own. The programming team are based at their London Offices.

You may well be one of the first customers on a 2-year contract who has required these annual-usage figures to be calculated. I do wonder if this is simply a piece of code which has slipped through the quality-checks because no one has yet realised that it's wrong. It could be a trivial fix.

@Amy_OVO can you DM the Product Manager and send him the link to this Topic so he can read what @ElectricTV has reported? Thanks.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry to hear the change wasn't processed upon your initial request, @ElectricTV. I've changed the title of your post to help other users with the same query locate this post.

You're right by now our annual consumption estimates for electricity EAC (Estimated Annual Consumption) and for gas AQ (Annual Quantity), should mirror up with your usage.

I'd recommend getting in touch with our team, we may need to look at recalculating your EAC and AQ.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks!
Hi Amy

I used the forum to comment because the issue almost certainly affects all OVO customers. It is not just a problem for me.

On the monthly statements there is an estimate of our annual consumption. This was incorrect over 2 years ago but I was advised at the time that it was early days; the Government insisted on such advice (as if this was a reason for getting it wrong) and the IT dept. would soon get it right. The so-called “estimate” at the time could have been computed from 12 months’ actual bills but it was pretty much guesswork instead.

More recently as our subsequent 2 year fix is ending we were written to with an offer to re-contract based on our “actual annual consumption”. Indeed I received a second reminder earlier today. The figures are still wrong. It is simply a matter of adding up the kWh for electricity and gas for the past 12 months. It is junior school arithmetic and yet OVO still get it wrong. OVO generates the information based on the meter readings I give punctually each month. So there are 12 months’ worth of statements to use. What’s the problem?

In general I am happy to buy from OVO but it astonishes me that this issue still seems to defeat you. If I used your figures to compare with other suppliers I would get the wrong comparisons. Maybe that’s the intention?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Points well made @ElectricTV

During that 2 years, OVO has ceased their contract with an external provider of their billing software and have developed their own. The programming team are based at their London Offices.

You may well be one of the first customers on a 2-year contract who has required these annual-usage figures to be calculated. I do wonder if this is simply a piece of code which has slipped through the quality-checks because no one has yet realised that it's wrong. It could be a trivial fix.

@Amy_OVO can you DM the Product Manager and send him the link to this Topic so he can read what @ElectricTV has reported? Thanks.
Thank you for taking this issue seriously and for the background.

On a point of information I did not ask for the annual consumption figures if that's what your second paragraph is suggesting. They are supplied as part of the extensive and mainly helpful/accurate statements and annual summaries provided by OVO as well as at contract expiry time. I was told a couple of years ago by OVO that they are required to be supplied by the watchdog.

I have a pre-retirement background which included energy procurement and management during which time I was accustomed to collecting lots of data on consumption in large commercial buildings and looking for anomalies that might indicate incorrect billing or problems with our equipment. So keeping figures on our private domestic consumption and being able to add up 12 numbers is something I still like to do and compare with what my supplier tells me is the case. I may be an old nerd but I can still add up!