Pet Corner

Pet Corner
Userlevel 5
Badge
It's Friday and I thought I'd try and take things a bit off topic. We've recently got some fab new users shout out to @So much for subtlety and I thought this would be a nice way of getting to know one another.

So... Show us your pets, if you don't have one (like me 😣) let us know about a past pet or a dream pet!

We can do a pet of the week if this kicks off or not lets see!

Please allow me to introduce the one and only Rosie:

Rosie is a beauty, a really loving black springer, she is my aunt and uncles dog and has restored my faith in dogs being good, I was always a bit scared of them.

She loves long walks up the hills in Exmoor and is equally happy back at home on Minehead beach, she also likes to roll in fox muck, very naughty!

Over to you guys!!

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
And the big reveal is..........

Max joined us on Saturday after months of researching dog ownership and understanding what breed would suit our family and timing of when to get a puppy etc etc, and we found a real gem.

He's a gold Cockerpoo, and is fitting right in with family life already! We were fully prepared for sleepless nights as we crate trained (not for everyone, but something we wanted to do), but he's been a dream so far, going to bed without fuss and sleeping right through til morning without any whining or wetting, so we are taking that for now! It may well change at any moment, but we will take it!!

The kids love him, obvs, and are loving playing with him.

I'm sure there will be more puppy spam coming down the road, so keep checking in for more updates!!

Anyone else had fun with their pets over the weekend? Anyone else getting a new pet soon?

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Great topic idea this, I think a lot of our users have pets, and that means photos. Lots of them. Get sharing!

Welcome to our mad little community @So much for subtlety 😊

Rosie looks like a beaut. Working Cocker Spaniels are my dream dog breed. Golden brown and small.

@Transparent has a pet rat, although it may be stuffed.....

@Smiter of course has ferrets, she may not be an active member here anymore. But who can forget this

So, here is Anna (the big one) and Polly (the small one) on a walk in west Somerset. In the background is the same Exmoor that @Amy_OVO and Rosie walk on! #small world

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Oh I'm still around and currently have 21 ferrets.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So... the clue might be in my Forum Avatar...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Meet Brian! (Yes, that's genuinely his name!)

I became Brian's dad when I met my current partner, she has a fascination with Family Guy and decided to name him after their pet dog. Sorry to say, she wasn't so up for naming our son after my favourite TV character Fox Mulder (X-Files). Not fair if you ask me!

This is a picture taken of him after a nice long walk, so he's naturally a bit dribbly after getting a bit hot under the collar!

He's got the most gentle demeanor and he makes me feel very loved after coming home every day and being greeted with great big wet kisses. Does brighten up some of my more stressful days.

Very cool to see everyone's different pets!

@Transparent, I'm loving the bee's and the ducks! I'd love to have my own bees one day as I find them very fascinating, but also appreciate how important they are to the environment and ecosystem.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
This is Jinx, my daughter's dog that we have regularly walked whilst my daughter was at Med School. Missing her now daughter has graduated and gone to live in Sheffield. She is a Patterdale Terrier (with a bit of Jack Russell)

Userlevel 5
This is the best idea ever, @Amy_OVO! 😍 I'm scared of dogs too, but Rosie is a cutie and I love her shiny fur - what conditioner does she use? Haha jokes 😂

I love animals and I have a pet - little baby Paul 🐱 We got him in June when he was 9 weeks old, he's growing up so fast he's now 16 weeks.

Here he is when we first got him:

He's growing up so fast, he can't go outside on his own yet but we've bought him a little harness so he loves going on walks around the garden and chasing butterflies! 🦋

Here he is keeping me company while working from home on a Saturday:

We could get him trained up as a mod on the forum! 😉

I might be biased but I think he's the cutest little ball of fur! 🐈
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

No pet community is complete without a hitler cat - so here’s Jill

https://

And her twin sister sister Jo (Ying to her yang) is doing her best dead cat / draught excluder impression following the installation of a wood burner...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Unfortunately I don't have any pets (would love a dog 🐶). I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Can I count these as pets?

Userlevel 5
@So much for subtlety Jill and Jo look just like Paul 😍 They're lovely - did you get them when they were kittens?

@Transparent I love your ducks the yellow one is the cutest 🤗 I'm sure you can count the bees - do you get much honey out of them? 🐝 I love honey on my porridge hint hint 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge

Just got back from a lovely break in Alanya Turkey (10/10 would do again) and here are my holiday pets!

The hotel staff fashioned an elephant out of towels much to my amusement 😂!!

Alanya have parks with cat houses in them, like little cat hotels and this little baby was my spirit animal, it was great!

I hope to collect more holiday pets on my next adventure!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I think @Bradley_OVO you mean bees are beneficial (not detrimental)!

If you like I'll bring you one next time I visit OVO HQ 😜
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
These bees come from Cornish stock. They'd be quite offended to know you referred to them as "rogue". They're very placid, and know how to behive themselves.
Userlevel 5
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Just adding a few more to the menagerie - we also have five species of "bumble" bee resident in our garden this year. They dig their nests into an earthy bank beneath a row of bushes.

This one is the common White-tailed (Bombus lucorum) making rapid work of a lavender stem due to intense competition from about 40 others on the same plant!

There are 23 species of "bumble" bee in the UK, of which eight are by far the most common. They are extremely placid and safe to approach. These social bees can be readily identified by the colour of the tail and the number & position of the yellow or orange bands.

The website of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust is a good place to learn more about these important pollinating insects.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Great to see everyone sharing their photos and stories of their pets, really lovely to be able to get to know you all that little bit better!!

We have a new addition joining our family this weekend, look out for the update in my community blog on Monday!! Needless to say after our holiday, we all need a pick me up so are looking forward to it! #holidayblues

Keep sharing, and encouraging others to share their pet photos too!

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Userlevel 2
Badge
I thought I managed to change that before anyone noticed @Transparent !!!

Also, as much as I'd like to see what would happen with releasing a rogue bee in the office, I'll have to respectfully decline your kind gift 😆
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So has @Darran_OVO and family actually made it back to Bristol?

Or is he posting this whilst sitting in a Spanish airport, clutching a dwindling supply of pounds as the exchange rate tumbles? 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Haha @Transparent all good, got back to the UK on Tuesday afternoon, with no delays, and no euros left!

Had an amazing time, cannot wait to book our next adventure!

Hope all has been good while I've been off, I can see the team have been busy as have all of you! Great to see so much conversation and new content 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Oh I'm still around

🤗🙌👏🍾 Great to hear you're still here! 🤸

currently have 21 ferrets.

21, that's more then last time we heard about them! What do you say to a more recent snap? 📸
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Eva little Paul is growing fast, what are you feeding him?!

So... the clue might be in my Forum Avatar...

I wonder if counting ducks for dogs is the equivalent of counting sheep for humans. Straight to sleep.

So this is a golden lab? Amazed thy get on so well with the duckies! 🤔
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Oh I'm still around🤗🙌👏🍾 Great to hear you're still here! 🤸

currently have 21 ferrets.21, that's more then last time we heard about them! What do you say to a more recent snap? 📸

Will get some soon. One is looking a bit poorly at moment. All his fur is coming out. Classic symptoms of adrenal disease. Only think that will help is an implant costing about £150 which w don't have at moment. Been a bad year for vets bills for us. Our 18 year old cat then our 18 year old dog both hat to be put to sleep then my young dog chewed the end of his tail off and it had to be amputated. So the vet saving account has been seriously hit. So in meantime we are giving the ferret melatonin which will alleviate the illness for the moment. He's not suffering at all acting totally normal just very bald.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Absolutely they do! Ultimate environmental pet - the rest of us just have sheep worriers and bird killers.