Solved

I'm a landlord - do I get an exit fee if the tenants change supplier?

• 4 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Swithed to OVO as Landlord, I told them at switching that I am renervating and would have new tenents soon)

I was put on a 2 fixed tarif but what happens when new tennants move in. If they stay with OVO will I be charged £30. What if they wish to go elswhere say Bulb?

I could ask them to stay with OVO in my name or should I change to a new supplier who pays my exit fee and then leave for them to go wherever?

All in OVO does not appear landlord friendly in these situations.

Also I have/had eco 7 meter but had removed all prior to change how can I get the interim bill to reflect this>
icon

Best answer by Ed_OVO 6 May 2019, 14:26

Hi @Richie SWF,

The reason we'll have recommended you go onto the 2 Year Fixed contract, is because it's the cheapest, and you wouldn't be charged exit fees when the tenants move in.

You'd only be charged the exit fee if you switch suppliers or tariffs whilst you're with us. When your tenants move in, we treat this like a move out/move in situation, which doesn't incur a fee.

It wouldn't be fair for us to charge a penalty to you because of a decision your tenants make!

As for the meter, if you want to change the tariff from Eco7 to single rate, just email hello@ovoenergy.com and the Care Team will be able to help you with this.

Thanks,
Ed
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi @Richie SWF,

The reason we'll have recommended you go onto the 2 Year Fixed contract, is because it's the cheapest, and you wouldn't be charged exit fees when the tenants move in.

You'd only be charged the exit fee if you switch suppliers or tariffs whilst you're with us. When your tenants move in, we treat this like a move out/move in situation, which doesn't incur a fee.

It wouldn't be fair for us to charge a penalty to you because of a decision your tenants make!

As for the meter, if you want to change the tariff from Eco7 to single rate, just email hello@ovoenergy.com and the Care Team will be able to help you with this.

Thanks,
Ed
Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply, thats cleared things a bit. I don't see why any new tenants would want to change as the tarifs are good value.

Re the Eco7 to single rate, I believe this is what is going to be done on the 21st when you put in a smart meter. Also they will disconconect the eco7 cables (allowing me to remove all the ols white eco consomer box etc from the house or will they do that for me). Maybe you can confirm this for me?

I have not used any Eco7 since before changing supplier. So I assume I will get a credit/refund from the monthly payment on that part of the deal?

Kind Regards

Richie
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Richie SWF,

Just to be clear, please make sure your tenants get an account set up with us when they move in, as they'll be liable for the energy bills after this point.

I'm not sure what you mean about the refund. If you've been paying by Direct Debit and some credit has built up on your account, we can refund anything remaining after your bill has been deducted.

Cheers