Solved

Can you speak to anyone at OVO on a Sunday?

• 22 October 2017
  • 38 replies

I can't put in to words how fizzing I am with anger!!

At approximately 7:30am this morning (a Sunday), we lost power to our home. We called out an electrician who identified the issue as being the metering equipment by the main feed into the house. After a discussion with Electricity North West, we identified that the equipment is the responsibility of the supplier - Ovo.

We have a child with significant additional needs and we needed this resolving ASAP.

After checking the Ovo website, I gave the Customer Services number a call, and was returned with "Thanks for calling Ovo. We record all our calls etc. We're currently closed. Our opening hours are Monday to Saturday 8:00am etc etc"

So I then tried the emergency contacts provided on the website. Both useless.

I retried Electricity North West who said they had a number for Ovo that they could put me through to. Great I thought, until they put me through and I got... "Thanks for calling Ovo. We record all our calls etc. We're currently closed. Our opening hours are Monday to Saturday 8:00am etc etc"

Getting extremely frustrated with this, I proceeded to call every number published on the Ovo website (even the ones that were clearly not relevant) in the hope that answer human response that I could get would point me in the right direction.

In every single case, I got... "Thanks for calling Ovo. We record all our calls etc. We're currently closed. Our opening hours are Monday to Saturday 8:00am etc etc"

So I've got a few questions for Ovo:

1. Why the hell is it so difficult to get help on a Sunday?
2. Is it even lawful for an energy supplier to be so un-contactable?
3. HOW DO I GET MY ELECTRICITY SUPPLY BACK ON?

I will be contacting the energy watchdog and reporting this, and from viewing other comments within the forum, I can see that customer service is an issue for your company, particularly during out of hours issues.

I expect a response ASAP. This is unacceptable and I will be leaving publicly visible review that reflect such an extremely poor customer experience.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 November 2017, 17:24

We picked this up on Twitter at the time, Andrew.

Just for anyone else who needs advice on a Sunday with an emergency, the call center is closed, but if you message us on Facebook or Twitter , our team will be able to assist.

More info here!

Tim

Updated 04/04/2020

View original

38 replies

I'm having this issue just now ovo energy. I have been trying to get through all day Saturday on the phone numbers provided, including your 24hr number. All I need is a tag number. I am currently camping in my living room with my kids in -3 temperatures so cold I'm awake at 4am still searching online for another contact number I haven't tried. Every number is the same automated recording.
Userlevel 7

Just for anyone else who needs advice on a Sunday with an emergency, the call center is closed, but if you message us on Facebook or Twitter , our team will be able to assist.

More info here!

Tim

Updated 04/04/2020

I called the "24 hour number" and you're closed! You serve the UK, where we provide 24 hour customer services and banking. Yet you were closed! BS to the board and minority shareholders! BS to the women and men on the boards exec, BS to all of the OPs managers!

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

#FATCATS

any company thats marginalising YOU for profit!
I have exactly the same issue. Been without electricity since we came home from holidays just after 8pm last night - same time as the 24 hour 7 day a week helpline closed. Tried all numbers available online to no avail. Phoned other energy suppliers who are all available at 7am on a Sunday morning but can’t help because OVO need to. What an absolute joke of a company, will be switching ASAP
Tim_Ovo, I have the ability to find all the numbers suggested, however, each one plays the same’office is closed’ message and then cuts you off. 14 hours after sending a message to the Facebook team, the issue was resolved.

Not good enough. However, life is too short to continue to deal with such inadequacy, so this morning I have switched to British Gas.
Hi @Amy_OVO

Thanks for responding to my questions, I was not fully aware of the contact hours until I had read this post. I dont think many customers would be until they need to contact OVO.

I am glad you will pass on my comments.

OVO are an expanding company and I think as expansion happens and they are increasing their customer base, it becomes more important than ever to ensure those customers can contact OVO should they need to.

I think OVO should consider extending hours the customer phone lines are open to at least cover Saturday- some energy companies offer this already.

Also have a mod monitoring the forum over the weekend to help with any urgent queries.

Consider a system for monitoring emails out of hours.

Thanks again

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
That doesn't sound good @grumpyoldboy !

As it's a safety issue, and it's on the board where your Service Fuse and meter are fitted, then I'm wondering if OVO is the only party who could remedy this.

On which side of the meter is the overheating cable?
  • the incomer from the Service Fuse?
  • or the tails leading to the consumer unit?
Engineers working for your Distributed Network Operator (DNO) should also be able to fix this. Did you try their emergency number?

What region are you in?
Which DNO?

I would be interested to hear how this gets sorted. I have contacts in the Engineering Dept of the DNO who maintain the Distribution Grid local to me. So I'd like enough info to discuss the issue with them next time we meet.

Post a photo here if you can!

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi again @grumpyoldboy I'm glad you've heard from OVO.

I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of a weekend emergency number for OVO. Let's just tag a couple of the Moderators, @Tim_OVO and @Nancy_OVO and ask for clarification.

Since this is a safety risk on cables connected to an item with a crimped seal, I think this is the sort of matter which needed an urgent response. Perhaps that level of response is only available to customers on the PSR.

The reason I have direct contact with engineers in my locality is because I'm a member of a community team running a "Smart Sub-station" on an Ofgem-funded trial. You and I have different DNO's, but I'd still like to ask them what should be the correct procedure in a case like yours.
Userlevel 1

What sort of company closes it’s customer service department on a Saturday morning? To me it stands for Your our Customer and we don’t care!

Userlevel 6

It’s a shame to hear you feel this way, @RTFishall. As mentioned in the best answer the team are available on social media to contact during the weekend. Here’s what to do in an emergency off supply situation. 

Hello @Amy_OVO and @Tim_OVO

For future reference what do you do, if like me, you dont use Facebook or Twitter???

Thank you
Userlevel 7
I have been trying to get through all day Saturday on the phone numbers provided, including your 24hr number.

So sorry to hear this @Ashlleiigh

We are open and taking calls on Saturdays from 09:00-14:00. As is the company that can sort out TAG codes. After 14:00 on Saturday, you will need to hang on the line to get through to our Out of Hours team. We might be able to arrange an engineer visit if necessary.

Just to let you know that we now have a new Boost Forum for our PAYG customers. Check it out here: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/.

Tim
Userlevel 6
@TinaF as it's a weekday, if you're still off supply please call us ASAP: 0330 303 5063.

Just for anyone else who needs advice on a Sunday with an emergency, message us on Facebook or Twitter, or call us on this number: 0330 102 7517 - eventually you'll get through to our out of hours support team.

Tim

Have you actually tried ringing this number👹

Just for anyone else who needs advice on a Sunday with an emergency, message us on Facebook or Twitter, or call us on this number: 0330 102 7517 - eventually you'll get through to our out of hours support team.

Tim
Have you actually tried ringing this number👹
Userlevel 6
Good question, @Phil_H, if you find yourself in an off supply situation over the weekend you can call our usual contact number for advice.

There's a team who work through emails on Sunday, however the response time is 48 hours so you may not get an immediate response.
Hi @Eva_OVO

Thanks for replying however its clear from the posts above that the usual number is not being answered out of hours.

The answers from @Tim_OVO to the original email indicate that the problems described here were picked up on social media- which was the reason for my question above- what if you dont use social media?

Sending an email that might not be responded to for 48 hours, in an emergency is not good enough.

If a customer posts on this forum about an issue like this there is also no mod at the weekend/out of hours and other users are unlikely to be able to help.

Also i think there are probably still lots of customers like me who only use the internet/email from their home network, so if power goes down and their router goes down - no internet or email, so contact by telephone in the event of an emergency seems to be the only option that would allow all customers to contact OVO if there was an emergency out of hours.

From the above it appears OVO have ruled out having an emergency out of hours contact number and there have been a number posters commenting on this including @Transparent

I think OVO need to review this including how all customers can contact OVO in the event of an emergency, including getting a timely response to resolve an issue.

At the moment it sounds like there is a good chance you could have an emergency resulting is a loss of power Saturday PM and not be able to contact OVO till 9.00am Monday!
Userlevel 6
Hey @Phil_H,

We offer the best phone cover we can, inline with common industry standards. We can offer support to cover the majority of the day, Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. As @Eva_OVO mentioned outside of this you can call our normal number and it will give you advise regarding emergency situations.

There is also OVO Help section on our website - this is available 24/7.

You’ll also be able to self serve your account on My OVO, whenever you want, wherever you are, on our super handy app.

Here’s some information on what to do in an emergency, this may be of use to someone finding this thread at a later date.

I'll ensure your feedback is passed on.

Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Sorry to hear about this @Stuspf. We usually have a team in to reply to messages on Twitter and Facebook messages over the weekend, so someone should have got back to you. They're also able to book emergency appointments and get an engineer out if needed.

If there is a power cut on a Sunday, you can contact the power cut helpline number on 105. They'll be able to confirm when the power will be restored.

Thanks,
Nancy
11:20pm
Hi. I have been waiting for 7hrs hrs for an emergency callout to arrive because of an overheating & burning cable at the meter.
I was told that they would arrive in about 3hrs. I cannot get through to speak to anybody.
what is your emergency out of hours call out number.
Userlevel 6
Hi @grumpyoldboy,

I've moved your other posts onto here so they're all on the same thread.

We provide customer support during the week and emergency support out-of-hours in line with industry standards.

As your energy supplier, we're only authorised to repair/replace the meter itself. Anything prior to the meter would need to be looked into by the DNO. Anything after/in the property would need to be looked into by an electrician.

Hope this helps
we have been forced into having our energy supply from OVO due to our last company collapsing . They say we can switch to another supplier of our choice because of this, but when we try to do this they make it difficult.
Ive tried to switch to a company Bulb who have great customer service AND ARE OPEN AT WEEKENDS !! however have had an email yesterday to say OVO have rejected my switch ... I’ve looked into any reasoning why this may happen and there is none ... if you are due more than £500 of your bill is the only reason an energy supplier may stop this happening... this is not the case with me....so OVO why are you stopping customers from moving to another supplier ???
iand to add insult to injury your not open on weekends for enquiries . Don’t you realise people work during the week which is why some people cannot call during the week, therefore rely on weekends to sort out any problems .... I will be taking this to Energy watchdog and advertising this on social media if I get no resolve with this very 😡 angry customer
OK @Teri1967 so if your hypothesis is that you can't get responses from OVO

on a weekend, then I think you've just gone a long way towards proving that to be true!

Posting the above on the warmest Easter Bank-holiday Saturday since records began was a pretty sure way to get none of us other Forum Members responding then either! 😜

I have no idea either where you get the figure of £500 being a reason that a Supplier
may object to a switch. A switch is "held" for any level of outstanding debt, pending its resolution.

You can't actually take this matter to the "energy watchdog" until you've been through the stages of your Supplier's published Complaints Procedure. OVO
have a very good record of resolving complaints long before they get referred to the Office of the Energy Ombudsman

I would be surprised if OVO Customer Services
couldn't resolve your issue within Stage-1 of their Procedure, which elicits a response within 5 days. There is usually a very clear reason why a Switch gets halted - such as a missing meter reading or incorrect meter reference number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Nancy_OVO Can you please clarify your final comment?

The fault reported by @grumpyoldboy is on the meter. It's the connections where the tails leave to go towards his consumer unit.

Tim

W
Hi @Nancy_OVO Can you please clarify your final comment?

The fault reported by @grumpyoldboy is on the meter. It's the connections where the tails leave to go towards his consumer unit.why should it only be for emergencies Stvs weekend