Solved

Can I / or should I cancel Corgi Home Plan included with my OVO energy?

• 18 July 2019
  • 2 replies

The renewal of my OVO contract last year included accepting a Corgi HomePlan contract - with an assurance that the Corgi Home plan payments (£8 per month) would be refunded by OVO.
This may be a foolish question but I'm unclear why exactly I need the Corgi HomePlan cover?
I have a fairly new Worcester boiler with 8 years remaining on its guarantee - is a Corgi HomePlan contract good value in this case? - and, if it isn't good value, can it be cancelled and my OVO payments reduced?
Just thought I would ask the community before joining the telephone queue to OVO or Corgi HomePlan and asking them!
Thanks in advance for any answers
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 18 July 2019, 12:57

Hello

Have you got details of this offer from Ovo including a refund on a HomePlan contract ? I do not recall seeing an offer like this.

As regards the Homeplan itself there are a number of factors to weigh up. Your boiler is new ish so I assume you can call Worcester if you need to get it repaired under the warranty.

However a couple of points to check, most boiler warranties only stay valid if the boiler has been serviced regularly according to the manufacturers advice and the service records completed.

Also how old is the rest of your heating and hot water system would this be covered if it needs a repair.

Does the Homeplan only cover your boiler or does it cover the whole of your heating system?

The Homeplan may be convenient if you do not want to arrange servicing and repair yourself - it may also offer peace of mind. Otherwise you could consider stopping the plan and use a local engineer to service/repair the system and use the Worcester warranty on the boiler to cover repairs should anything goes wrong with it.

If you do decide to do find a local engineer make sure they are gas safe registered here
View original

2 replies

Hello Phil - Many thanks for your reply - I haven't uncovered the original OVO email offer re Corgi HomePlan but my bank statements show the £8 DD to Corgi HomePlan each month and the corresponding £8 refunded by OVO.
But I will dig out the HomePlan details and check what exactly it covers and that it's not just an introductory offer (i.e. with increased cost next year...). The somewhat higher cost rather than just booking a local Corgi engineer to do the annual service may, as you suggest, be worth it just for the peace of mind.
Best regards
Colin
Hello

Have you got details of this offer from Ovo including a refund on a HomePlan contract ? I do not recall seeing an offer like this.

As regards the Homeplan itself there are a number of factors to weigh up. Your boiler is new ish so I assume you can call Worcester if you need to get it repaired under the warranty.

However a couple of points to check, most boiler warranties only stay valid if the boiler has been serviced regularly according to the manufacturers advice and the service records completed.

Also how old is the rest of your heating and hot water system would this be covered if it needs a repair.

Does the Homeplan only cover your boiler or does it cover the whole of your heating system?

The Homeplan may be convenient if you do not want to arrange servicing and repair yourself - it may also offer peace of mind. Otherwise you could consider stopping the plan and use a local engineer to service/repair the system and use the Worcester warranty on the boiler to cover repairs should anything goes wrong with it.

If you do decide to do find a local engineer make sure they are gas safe registered here