Solved

Why have exit fees been added to my latest statement when I have renewed with OVO?

Userlevel 3
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 12 replies

I have just checked my current charges as my statement is due in a few days, I noticed that they have added 2 x £30 exit fees, my current contract expired April 27th and I have renewed with Ovo so no exit fees are applicable.

Also I submit meter readings monthly but my last bill was based on estimated readings which were higher than the actual.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 4 May 2021, 11:24

I have just checked my current charges as my statement is due in a few days, I noticed that they have added 2 x £30 exit fees, my current contract expired April 27th and I have renewed with Ovo so no exit fees are applicable.

This does sound strange, @MrsH, it might indicate that there has been a switch request of your supply (this can happen in error if someone with a similar address has made a genuine switch request) so best to contact the Support Team to check if this is the case. If the exit fees have been added in error they can of course be reversed.

No worries, glad I could help you there @MrsH . That might be the reason why you get estimated bills.

If you happen to submit the readings after each billing cycle resets, then yup that’s an easy solution too. Simply change when you submit them. :blush:

It may also be worth considering the option of getting upgraded to smart meters. While you can't currently use them to automatically submit meter readings from export meters for FiT or SEG, you can get them to submit your regular meter readings automatically.

@Blastoise186 has given some great advice here. We’d recommend submitting manual readings a day or two before your statement is issued to ensure the bill is accurate, alternatively a Smart Meter would send these automatically, making estimated readings a thing of the past! 

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi there @MrsH !

Oops, that probably shouldn’t have happened! I’m not sure why exit fees got applied somehow, especially since you didn’t leave OVO. That might be a bug which will need to be looked into.

I do have some good news however. There is a solution to this particular issue. OVO can solve it for you either by nuking both the £30 exit fees completely, or they can leave them active but apply a £60 account credit to counteract them. Either way would put you back where you should be. Could you give the Support Team a shout in the morning about this? Getting your account balance back in order should be a quick fix, but I’d also recommend asking for the cause to be investigated as well, just to help avoid a repeat.

As for meter readings, it’s best to submit them just before the end of each billing cycle. So if your billing cycle runs from the 27th of each month to the 26th of the following month, I’d recommend putting the readings in on the 25th to make sure they definitely get processed correctly. Either way, regular readings should force your account to self-correct based on actual readings, even if they don’t show on statements. Actual readings always take priority over estimated readings for all purposes including billing. :wink:  Might be something to ask the team about though!

Userlevel 3

Hi @Blastoise186 

Thank you, I’ll chase it up with the Support Team tomorrow. 

I submit my meter readings on the 2nd of the month and usually receive my statement on the 5th but I’ll ask them if I should do it differently.

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries, glad I could help you there @MrsH . That might be the reason why you get estimated bills.

If you happen to submit the readings after each billing cycle resets, then yup that’s an easy solution too. Simply change when you submit them. :blush:

It may also be worth considering the option of getting upgraded to smart meters. While you can't currently use them to automatically submit meter readings from export meters for FiT or SEG, you can get them to submit your regular meter readings automatically. If you’d prefer not to have readings go in constantly, you can also choose to have Monthly readings rather than Daily or Half-Hourly.

I seem to recall that your existing electricity meter was also affected by your solar panels and triggered the “Phantom rEd Glitch” where false “reverse energy detected” warnings were getting flagged up. Since your meter looks like it’s overdue for replacement anyway, it may be a good time for an upgrade. Feel free to request that anytime though, whenever you feel ready. :)

Userlevel 5

This does sound strange, @MrsH, it might indicate that there has been a switch request of your supply (this can happen in error if someone with a similar address has made a genuine switch request) so best to contact the Support Team to check if this is the case. If the exit fees have been added in error they can of course be reversed.

It may also be worth considering the option of getting upgraded to smart meters. While you can't currently use them to automatically submit meter readings from export meters for FiT or SEG, you can get them to submit your regular meter readings automatically.

@Blastoise186 has given some great advice here. We’d recommend submitting manual readings a day or two before your statement is issued to ensure the bill is accurate, alternatively a Smart Meter would send these automatically, making estimated readings a thing of the past! 

Userlevel 3

@Jess_OVO & @Blastoise186 

Couple of phone calls & after initially being told it would take 3 working days to amend their error, after 30 mins spoke to someone with the authority & the £60 has been removed. 
Advised to submit my meter readings on the 3rd of the month.

Best regards 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s good to hear then @MrsH , thanks for getting back to us!

It’s possible that you might still see those exit fees on the original statement, but there should be a trace of the removal somewhere. If you need help with anything else again, we’ll be here for you. :)