Solved

Why did I get an email advising that my Direct Debit is no longer in place?

Paid by DD for several years. Always goes out on 1st. Last went out on 1st June according to my bank.

Received email Friday saying no dd plan is active and I am in debit. First time I’ve ever been sent this type of email.

When does a payment made on the 1st hit your accounts?

Wonder if anyone else is having this problem.

icon

Best answer by Transparent 6 June 2020, 19:33

Updated 11/06/2020 - We’re aware of a few members getting emails about a Direct Debit not being set up on their account, but this is only because it takes a few days for the payment arrangement to show on their new online account, so it’s prompting these automated emails that suggest there's nothing set up. The advice is the old payment arrangement will get transferred over within 4-6 days, with no actions required. It should be the same date and amount. 

Oh no… not another mass emailing on a Friday!

Sorry to hear this @Trifoglio and @Pete Haworth.

Have a look what another customer wrote about this just last week. It was picked up by the Moderator, @Amy_OVO which is why I’m tagging here again here.

The likelihood is that the email itself has been incorrectly generated by the new Billing System.

Have either of you logged into your Online Account to check if it states that a payment was credited on 1st June? You should find the latest transactions in a box towards the foot of the Home page.

View original

30 replies

I have the same issue, I’ve also emailed OVO security as like you, money has gone from my bank account.

We have wait and see what they say I guess.

Thank you Pete, reassuring that I’m not alone but rather concerning otherwise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated 11/06/2020 - We’re aware of a few members getting emails about a Direct Debit not being set up on their account, but this is only because it takes a few days for the payment arrangement to show on their new online account, so it’s prompting these automated emails that suggest there's nothing set up. The advice is the old payment arrangement will get transferred over within 4-6 days, with no actions required. It should be the same date and amount. 

Oh no… not another mass emailing on a Friday!

Sorry to hear this @Trifoglio and @Pete Haworth.

Have a look what another customer wrote about this just last week. It was picked up by the Moderator, @Amy_OVO which is why I’m tagging here again here.

The likelihood is that the email itself has been incorrectly generated by the new Billing System.

Have either of you logged into your Online Account to check if it states that a payment was credited on 1st June? You should find the latest transactions in a box towards the foot of the Home page.

Interesting... Though I have logged on and 1st May was last payment date. 

Thanks anyway for the information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Let’s wait until Monday and see what @Amy_OVO says.

You could contact the team to report this. But as the issue affects more than one customer, we need to make sure that OVO Customer Services actually passes on the report to the relevant programming manager. We don’t want them merely replying to you with a polite email!

If you do decide to message, then please give them the URL of this Topic so that they can read what we’ve discussed.

Okey dokey, will contact them with the URL.

Same problem here. 

I was moved to the new system 2 days before my last DD payment went (so it was already pending and was advised by OVO to let it go through before setting up new DD.

However, the payment has been  taken but doesn't show as being credited to my account yet. I rung and was basically told to wait and and see. On the old system the payment would already have shown as being credited by now 

I didn't get an email to let me know that I would need to set up a new DD and only found out that I no longer had one set up when I went to check my account details had moved across successfully.

I'm not willing to close the the old DD mandate on my bank account and set a new one up until the money taken in the last payment (which is still missing from my OVO account) shows up.

The whole thing is a complete and utter  shambles, and to be honest, I'm pretty annoyed that it looks like it  will fall to me to have do the leg work to make sure it all gets sorted.

Userlevel 3

Not a great read @twitching_badger 

As @Transparent mentions above, there is an on-going conversation going on in the link he provides. This is all being fed back to our development team due to inconveniences this has caused our members.

I certainly hope you managed to get the Direct Debit issued sorted out in the end?

All the best,

@Bradley_OVO

So the last DD payment taken still isn't showing on my account.

Called again to find out what was going on and was told this time that: 

the payment is apparently showing on the old system,

I don't actually need to set up another DD mandate, even though my account currently says that none are set up,

the payment will be credited and the existing DD mandate moved to my account on the new system by the 30th.

Am at a loss for words as everyone that I've spoken to on the phone and the social media teams has said something different and none seem to be able to give a hand-on-heart definite answer.

As said previously, an utter shambles...

Yesterday, my old Direct Debit was cancelled by OVO. It was then re-mandated and had a new reference number. I was advised of this action by both OVO and my bank. However, whilst reading these email, I received a second email from my bank to advise that the new DD mandate had been cancelled again! I am due to pay my OVO bill in 5 days and currently have no DD with which to facilitate payment. What’s going on?

Userlevel 5

It’s very frustrating when you’re getting different answers left, right and centre, @twitching_badger, but what you’ve described there is the latest information that I’ve received on the subject.

It’ll all be transferred automatically. I’ve been advised that we’re aiming for 5 working days after the Direct Debit has been taken, so in your case, it should definitely be sorted by 30th. We’ll update you here if we hear anything different.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well I’m glad someone found the DD payment credited to your “old” OVO Account, @twitching_badger 

There are just so many idiosyncrasies to take into consideration when migrating across live customer data. I’m not surprised this particular procedure went wrong because the incoming payment arrived as the migration was in progress.

If the programmers are going to get anything wrong, I’d actually prefer it to be the DD payments.

• No one is going to be threatening you for a missed payment in the meantime
  • As it’s a DD, it’s subject to a Mandate that you’ve given to your bank. So if you suspect anything untoward, then you can actually do something about it.

The customers they need to take extra care with are those with pre-payment meters. An error on their account could wipe out their meter-credit and close the energy-supply to the house.

Think this is flagged as solved a bit prematurely, it isn't resolved for everyone yet, and as we all know, there's many a slip twixt cup and lip...

Userlevel 3

You’re right @twitching_badger it’s far from solved at the moment.

Unfortunately, when selecting a best answer for each question topic, it marks it as solved!

Hopefully, this isn't far from the truth soon...

@Bradley_OVO @Ed_OVO  Well, confidence in a competent resolution is slowly slipping day by day.

Still waiting on the DD transfer and missing payment being credited.

However, I am now seeing small, incremental deductions from my account balance for several days worth of standing charge at a time. First one was for 6 days worth, this has now happened again after another 6 days - what is going on?

The new system needs a thorough debugging as right now it looks like its riddled with issues, or there is an astonishing lack of clarity on how it 'works' versus the old one, where submitting a monthly reading resulted in a single deduction from the balance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @twitching_badger and sorry to hear the main issue isn’t resolved.

The small incremental debits you are seeing are due to the way in which the new Billing Software operates. It’s a daily accounting system. No more do we have the concept of a Monthly Statement based on the date of the month when your contract started.

This is an essential step towards the possible introduction of a Time Of Use tariff at some future date.

@Transparent thank you for the explanation.

Just out of interest,  this possible time of use tariff, will that be the one where smart meter users are charged higher rate for  peak-time energy consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, a Time Of Use tariff has rates that vary throughout the day. It’s not just cost that matters. Some customers might configure their preferences to favour a higher proportion of renewable-energy sources in the mix.

The evening peak is an interesting point. If a household has stored electricity, then they will be paid more for what gets exported back to the Grid.

At the time of writing (June’20) only one GB Energy Supplier has a Time Of Use tariff available. That’s the “Agile Tariff” from Octopus.

The key to this technology is the control system which takes your preferences and translates them into commands to switch on/off devices in your home. That why the Kaluza Platform is integral to OVO’s future direction.

Same here, 19th… still account showing last payment being 1st May though it does indicate that a dd is set up. 

Ovo did ring me over a week ago assuring me all was ok and that the system would update itself in due course to reflect a true situation. This hasn’t happened. 

Next payment due end of June. 

Userlevel 7

Keep your eyes peeled for that update, @Trifoglio - and keep us updated please!

If there’s nothing by the end of June, I’d suggest you reach out to our support team to double check: We’re on FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

18 days and counting.

Still no sign of DD transfer or credit of last payment.

The target of 5 working days after payment being taken for the transfer to complete has been well overshot now.

☹️

Userlevel 7

18 days and counting.

Still no sign of DD transfer or credit of last payment.

Oh, looks like this advice wasn’t spot on in your case, @twitching_badger - to say the least!

I’d suggest you reach out to our support team to double check the status of the payment arrangement: We’re on FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

Well, here we are, 1st July and despite all of the time and effort spent by me to try and chase for a resolution to this issue it's still not resolved fully.

Call after call to support desk has only resulted in being fobbed off time and again told to wait as all would definitely be fixed by 30th June at the latest.

At least the last DD payment from 5th june has finally been credited, but still no transfer of DD mandate to the new system - next payment will already be pending.

The whole thing is now becoming a cause of stress and worry, which coupled with the latest fiasco of not being able to submit meter readings either by app or web portal and being presented with wildly excessive reading values allegedly submitted by me (they were most definitely not) of up 30'000 units over the reading given last month, I've about had my fill with OVO.

Never before, with any utility company that I've ever used, have I been driven to the point of losing sleep over unresolved issues. It's now just one balls-up after another.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Aagh! This type of response you’ve received is strikingly similar to that reported in another Topic just yesterday @twitching_badger

Whilst this may not fall foul of Ofgem’s requirements for account functionality, the use of “standard replies” to customers is exasperating!

Dear Customer Services,

Thank you for taking the time to provide another standard response.

We’re sorry you’re experiencing problems in replying positively and in a timely manner to customer reports.

Here on the Forum we endeavor to save you time by accurately identifying the nature of the fault, and discussing it between customers experiencing similar difficulties.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide a timescale in which you will still be able to enjoy this level of helpful feedback due to the absence of meaningful engagement and increasing levels of frustration with the lack of resolution.

Regards,

The Forum.

Userlevel 7

@twitching_badger this isn’t the usual process, but could you PM me with some details on this? I want to take a look at this myself and have a look at the account notes. :)