Solved

Why are OVO still taking a Direct Debit, and not refunding me final credit balance when I switched away months ago?

• 5 October 2020
  • 14 replies

Left ovo months ago but still charging me £136 a month d/d even though I’m £400 in credit why?

icon

Best answer by Transparent 5 October 2020, 12:35

Updated on 05/10/20: See the info below for causes of this delay and what you can do. The info in this update is taken from this topic, outlining the usual process:

When you switch away, your new energy supplier sends us your final meter readings so we can send your final statements. If your OVO account is in credit, we’ll send a refund straight to the bank account your Direct Debit used to come from within 7 working days of receiving your final bills. This process usually takes up to 6 weeks which is an industry time-frame. See our guide on switching suppliers for more info. 

Thanks for posting here @Jintysbhoys 

That’s what happens if your new Energy Supplier hasn’t completed the switch process. It is their responsibility to guide this through the national meter databases, ECOES for electricity, and Xoserve for gas.

Once the databases confirm the transfers and the meter readings are confirmed as being within the stipulated margins of error, then OVO get sent a Switch-completed Notification. Without that (for each meter) they may not issue your Final Bill. This is laid down in the Regulations by Ofgem.

You have the right of complaint through your New Supplier, and you may ask your bank to stop the DD if you wish.

View original

14 replies

I left Ovo on the 30th March and I still haven't received my credit on my account. It will not allow this online and now the balance is oddly going down every few days even though I've now switched providers.

I've sent several emails but due to the current issues I've had no reply and it's been longer than 6 weeks since leaving.

Any help/ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello @Luketommo 

I would give the office a call to see if you can get an immediate answer. 

The best number to get in touch will be: 0330 303 5063

Let us know how you get on

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I left Ovo on the 30th March and I still haven't received my credit on my account. It will not allow this online and now the balance is oddly going down every few days even though I've now switched providers.

I've sent several emails but due to the current issues I've had no reply and it's been longer than 6 weeks since leaving.

Any help/ideas?

This is quite normal @Luketommo And the timescales are not unusual either.

Have a look at this other Topic. The link will take you to a similar discussion about a month ago.

You have no recourse to OVO. It is your New Supplier who handles all aspects of the switching process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 05/10/20: See the info below for causes of this delay and what you can do. The info in this update is taken from this topic, outlining the usual process:

When you switch away, your new energy supplier sends us your final meter readings so we can send your final statements. If your OVO account is in credit, we’ll send a refund straight to the bank account your Direct Debit used to come from within 7 working days of receiving your final bills. This process usually takes up to 6 weeks which is an industry time-frame. See our guide on switching suppliers for more info. 

Thanks for posting here @Jintysbhoys 

That’s what happens if your new Energy Supplier hasn’t completed the switch process. It is their responsibility to guide this through the national meter databases, ECOES for electricity, and Xoserve for gas.

Once the databases confirm the transfers and the meter readings are confirmed as being within the stipulated margins of error, then OVO get sent a Switch-completed Notification. Without that (for each meter) they may not issue your Final Bill. This is laid down in the Regulations by Ofgem.

You have the right of complaint through your New Supplier, and you may ask your bank to stop the DD if you wish.

Thank you, spoke to someone at OVO and they managed to fix it 😊

Userlevel 7

Good to hear this was sorted, @Jintysbhoys 

Can I ask what the delay was in your case? Also I’ve made @Transparent’s comment the ‘best answer’ to help others who are in your position :blush:

Who did you switch to btw? 

No idea, can only think it’s something to do with the two companies sharing information. Sorted now though, just didn’t want to keep on paying two lots of energy companies 😊

It’s impossible to sort online, much easier calling them 

Avro  took over my energy supply from 30 th October. My account has since been debited at the end of October by Avro and in November by OVO. Why am I still being charged by OVO? How on earth do I sort this out when I can’t get hold of anyone at OVO? There seems no way to email directly or god forbid actually speak to a real live person!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi there @SussiB ,

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling. I’ll try to offer some advice and help out as best I can. As a volunteer on this forum, I can’t access your old account however, so I’m unable to see exactly what’s going on.

I’d like to ask a few questions if that’s OK. These help us to get a better idea of where you’re at, which makes it easier to help. Please withhold any personal info however.

• Was your OVO account in credit when you switched?
  • Did you have Dual Fuel with OVO, or Electricity only?
  • Did you receive a Final Bill from OVO after you switched?

It sounds possible that you might have had a Final Bill from OVO to pay off any remaining charges. If that is the case, you shouldn’t receive any further bills from OVO after that one, but please don’t make any changes to your Direct Debit just yet.

In terms of getting in touch with OVO, you can find all the options over here. Live Chat tends to be the fastest and most reliable one and tends to be easier than phoning in. It should reopen on Monday morning. I’m going to also call in @Tim_OVO just in case.

When you get in touch, please let the agent know that you asked for help on the forums and provide a link to the thread. They’ll be able to pick up on what’s been said here and it often speeds things up.

Please do keep us posted here too and we’ll do our best to help you out.

Userlevel 7

Nice one, @Blastoise186 

@SussiB I’m going to make an assumption that the issue is what’s described in this topic thread. We’ve advised:

You can cancel that Direct Debit, either way hopefully everything's billed and refunded before the next one!

Userlevel 1

I left OVO on October 8th 2020. I have waited 2 months for confirmation of this and a refund from OVO. 
OVO have taken two further payments totalling £240 and I am now in credit to the tune of over £350. 
After the 2nd payment was taken I rang OVO. The advisor cancelled my DD and said no further payments would be taken. He said he would submit my claim for a refund as a priority. That was December 8th but I’ve still not heard anything from OVO. I wonder if they would wait as long if I owed them money?

Come on OVO your own website states that accounts will be settled within 6 weeks. Getting impatient now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good morning @DK1083 ,

It sounds as if your new supplier hadn’t completed the switch process properly, meaning OVO might not have had the closing readings on time. This is one of the more likely reasons for the delay.

Since the Direct Debit has now been cancelled, you shouldn’t see any further payments taken from your bank account by OVO. However, this does also mean you can’t receive the final refund via the fast route.

OVO should be sending you a cheque in the post soon for the full amount of leftover credit, please keep an eye out for it. But it might take a while because Royal Mail gets swamped with a lot more post than usual over the Christmas period.

Userlevel 7

Just one correction to @Blastoise186 - that refund should be to your bank account, @DK1083 

Have a look at this topic (I moved your post over to it) as it’s very similar. The ‘best answer’ has more info. 

:blush: