Warm Home Discount (WHD)

• 27 September 2020
  • 47 replies
Warm Home Discount (WHD)
Userlevel 7

Updated on 16/10/23 by Abby_OVO

The Warm Home Discount (WHD) for 2023-24 is now open.

For those in England and Wales, eligible customers will receive a letter from the Government confirming if they are eligible, and don’t need to do anything to apply.

For those in Scotland, the Core Group remains unchanged and applies to those who were in receipt of the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit on 13 August 2023. If you fall under this category, you do not need to take any action and you’ll receive a letter to notify you of your eligibility.

For customers in Scotland who fall under the Broader Group, you do still need to apply - you can check out this really handy guide on eligibility criteria for the Broader Group in Scotland, as well as the homepage for the Broader group from the Government: https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/low-income-scotland.

For more information, you can check out the Government Warm Home Discount homepage

If you think you might be eligible but haven’t yet received a letter, you can use the Government’s Eligibility Checker to find out if you could qualify. (Letters are being sent out right up until early January 2024, as per the WHD webpage, so if you don’t have it just yet, don’t worry).

What is the Warm Home Discount (WHD)?

The Warm Home Discount is a one-off £150 discount given to eligible domestic electricity customers to help with their energy costs. It's usually paid between October and March of each scheme year. It's a Government scheme funded by participating energy suppliers like us. It’s designed to help people who need it most.

Key changes in numbers

• WHD spending is increasing from £350 million to £475 million across all suppliers 

• 780,000 more households will receive the rebate

• 560,000 more fuel poor households will get help 

• The Warm Home discount rebate is increasing from £140 to £150

• 59% of recipients under the new scheme will be fuel poor compared to around 47% of recipients for the current scheme

These changes will apply for the next four years. 

England and Wales

If you live in England or Wales you don’t need to apply for the Warm Home Discount but you will need to meet the eligibility criteria set by the Government. This is split into two Core Groups:

• Core Group 1 - for people who get Guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Core Group 2 - for people who get qualifying means-tested benefits or tax credits

The eligibility qualifying date for both groups is 13 August 2023. The Government will write to benefit claimants between October and December 2023.

What do I do if I don't get a letter?

In some cases the Government will write to you to request more information. It's important you give them this information by 28 February 2024 to be considered for the discount. We can only apply the discount once we’ve been told to by the Government.

Core Group 1

To be considered for the discount:

• You or you partner were named on the domestic electricity bill on 13 August 2023.
  • You were supplied by part of the OVO Family on the 13th August. If you were supplied by another supplier participating in the scheme on the 13th August, that supplier will be told to give you the discount even if we're now supplying you.
  • You or your partner got the Guaranteed element of Pension Credit on the qualifying date.

Core Group 2

• You or you partner were named on the domestic electricity bill on 13 August 2023.

• You were supplied by part of the OVO Family on the 13th August. If you were supplied by another supplier participating in the scheme on the 13th August, that supplier will be told to give you the discount even if we're now supplying you.

• You or you partner receive the following qualifying means-tested benefits or tax credits:

• Housing Benefit

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

• Income Support

• The 'Savings Credit' part of Pension Credit

• Universal Credit

You could also qualify if your household income falls below a certain level and you get either:

• Child Tax Credit

• Working Tax Credit

• Your property has a high energy cost score. This is partly based on details of your property like its type, how old it is, and the overall floor size etc. The Department for Works & Pensions (DWP) will work with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to work out your property energy score. The Government will write to you if they need more information.

Please note that OVO’s Support team aren’t in a position to advise you on your benefits or warm home discount eligibility. If you’re not sure of any of the details above, Citizens Advice are well place to offer help and support.

Scotland

If you live in Scotland, there are two groups:

• Core group - you won't need to apply, but you must meet eligibility criteria.
  • Broader group - you'll need to apply for the discount which will be applied on a first come, first served basis.

Core Group

• You or your partner got the Guaranteed element of Pension Credit on the qualifying date.

The eligibility qualifying date is 13 August 2023. The Government will write to benefit claimants between October and December 2023.

What do I do if I don't get a letter?

In some cases the Government will write to you to request more information. It's important you give them this information by 28 February 2024 to be considered for the discount. We can only apply the discount once we’ve been told to by the Government.

Broader Group

Eligibility for the discount as part of the Broader group is on a first come first served basis. You can apply if you if you live in Scotland and don’t meet the Core Group eligibility.

Apply online (Scottish Broader Group)

You can also check out our own dedicated webpage with all of the most up to date information on the Warm Home Discount: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/warm-home-discount-scheme.

Ways to get financial support

If you’re struggling financially or you’re worried about your energy bills, we’re here to support you. Find out about the different ways we can help here.

How do I register for the Priority Services Register (PSR)?

Check out the Customer Support package here: https://winter-support-package.ovoenergy.com/

47 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Tim, have you any idea when the application will be open?

Userlevel 7

I’ve heard target dates, @markymate - for mid October. But it’s possible that this was pushed back. I don’t know the latest, so please register your interest to ensure you get an email when this application window opens, here

Userlevel 2

I’ve heard target dates, @markymate - for mid October. But it’s possible that this was pushed back. I don’t know the latest, so please register your interest to ensure you get an email when this application window opens, here

Hi Tim this is crazy you work for OVO no? And you don’t know when the applications open, this is anxiety inducing stuff for some of us who only just manage to get by with the help of such schemes, the thought of missing it is near terrifying, we already live with a degree of fuel poverty, cold for half the year for fear of running up bills we can not pay we are just hanging on. The scheme generally starts today, I understand that individual companies set their own dates, but this waiting game is stressful. I have registered my interest but because there in no confirmation of having registered I can not feel sure that the system has worked and I will be notified, I know it might sound irrational, but there you go that’s my reality.

Userlevel 7

That’s a really good point, @Pierssy and I’m sorry I’m not able to give a concrete date, or appearing vague and nonchalant!

I’ve reached out directly to the team that administer this, and whilst an exact date can’t be promised, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week is looking like the most likely. There is a chance this will happen sooner, so it’s good that you’ve registered your interest. I’ve confirmed that no email confirmation is sent out when this registering of interest is done. 

You may also benefit from a call with the Centre for Sustainable Energy, OVO have an arrangement that lets its customers get great advice on saving energy and costs. More info what they do and how they can help here

Userlevel 2

Tim

Thank you for your reply, I understand that this is not you personally being vague or nonchalant.

We already have cavity wall insulation, a good amount of loft insulation  and double glazing although a few windows are bad double glazing. I have been looking at the green deal which could offer underfloor insulation for the first time and I reckon that could be an issue here. But I don’t think that is covered by Energy Company Obligation, it’s separate from ECO.

Anyway thanks again, I will keep a look out for the email.

All the best

Piers

Userlevel 1

That’s a really good point, @Pierssy and I’m sorry I’m not able to give a concrete date, or appearing vague and nonchalant!

I’ve reached out directly to the team that administer this, and whilst an exact date can’t be promised, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week is looking like the most likely. There is a chance this will happen sooner, so it’s good that you’ve registered your interest. I’ve confirmed that no email confirmation is sent out when this registering of interest is done. 

You may also benefit from a call with the Centre for Sustainable Energy, OVO have an arrangement that lets its customers get great advice on saving energy and costs. More info what they do and how they can help here

Hi Tim. Well Tuesday and Wednesday came and went. The winter is going to be over at this rate my friend!!  Why is that OVO always drag their feet over WHD, when other suppliers just get on with it and get it done.  

When can you apply?

Sadly I will move to a supplier who does not faff around with Warm Home discount.  No idea why Ovo is slow to respond as I know from other people their supplier has done and dusted the process ages ago!  People who rely on the discount and are struggling with bills really need 1 less thing to think about than playing a waiting game.

I got this reply yesterday--

Hi irene, The 12th October is when the government lets suppliers know about customers in the core group who don't need to apply for the payment. Our applications for this year's Warm Home Discount (WHD) haven't opened yet - although we're planning on opening this window later this month. You can find a link to pre-register your interest for this year's WHD here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/warm-home-discount. This means you'll be the first to know when applications are being taken, so you can be one of the first to apply. Thanks, Eva

Hi there 

In the broad group all the criteria say if you have a child that you recieve tax credits or uc for you can apply. My question is can I apply? I am on uc my daughter is severely disabled on uc and requiers a lot if electrical equipment for her daily life. But the application forms only ask if you or your partner have a disability, it doesn't mention if you have an adult child with disabilities? 

Userlevel 7

@Pierssy @Cheekycat @markymate @mbc127 I hear it’s tomorrow PM, everyone. Final testing happening at the moment. 

I share your frustrating about the time it has taken to get this open, especially as we can see other suppliers being faster. 

Come back here this time tomorrow to let us know if you’ve been able to apply?

Userlevel 1

Thanks Tim, much appreciated:thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 7

@Pierssy @Cheekycat @markymate @mbc127  is anyone able to offer some advice to @Lynn72 and eligibility? 

This is the info I’ve taken from our guide:

Broader group (existing OVO members)

We give out discounts to the Broader group on a first-come-first-serve basis. But whether or not you fit into this group depends on a few different things. Keep reading to find out what they are...

Who fits into the Broader group?

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people on:

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

You must also have/receive any of the following:

1. Parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who usually lives with you

2. The household has  a responsibility for a child born on or after 1 September 2002 who's in full-time education

3. You don’t need to pay NHS prescription charges because of:

• An ongoing chronic illness or pregnancy
    • Pregnancy or having a baby in the last 12 months
    • Receiving a current MATEX or MEDEX certificate

4. You currently receive any one of the following:

• Child tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element for a child born on or after 1st April 2001
    • A disabled child premium
    • A disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium
    • A pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium
    • War Disablement pension
    • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  5. A child who’s registered disabled

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people on: 

• Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) which includes a support component
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and a member of the work-related activity group of ESA

1. Parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who usually lives with you

2. The household has  a responsibility for a child born on or after 1 September 2002 who's in full-time education

3. Exemption from NHS prescription charges because of:

4. You currently receive any one of the following:

• Child tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element for a child born on or after 1st April 2001
  • A disabled child premium
  • A disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium
  1. A child who’s registered disabled

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people on Universal Credit with a Gross Monthly Household Income not exceeding £1,349 (before tax and deductions)

2. The household has a responsibility for a child born on or after 1 September 2002 who's in full-time education

3. You get the housing element as part of your Universal Credit

4. You get the limited capability for work element, with or without a work-related activity element as part of your Universal Credit

5. You get the disabled child element as part of your Universal Credit

6. You have a child who’s registered disabled

7. You’re registered disabled or you receive disability benefits including:

• Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  1. Exemption from NHS prescription charges because of:

1. You currently receive any one of the following:

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people who get Universal Credit and aren’t in work or self employed

2. The household has  a responsibility for a child born on or after 1 September 2002 who's in full-time education

3. You get the housing element as part of your Universal Credit

4. You get the limited capability for work element, with or without a work-related activity element as part of your Universal Credit

5. You get the disabled child element as part of your Universal Credit

6. You have a child who’s registered disabled

7. You’re registered disabled or you receive disability benefits including:

1. You currently receive any one of the following:

• Child tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element, for a child born on or after 1st April 2002

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people who get Child Tax Credit by virtue of an award, and based on an annual income not exceeding £16,190

1. Parental responsibility for a child under 5 years who usually lives with you

2. Receive Child Tax Credit which includes a disability element or severe disability element for a child born on or after 1st April 2002

3. Disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium

4. Pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium

5. Child who’s disabled

6. Disabled child premium

7. Exemption from NHS prescription charges because of:

This Warm Home Discount group is especially for people who have a total household income under £16,190 (before tax and deductions) 

2. The household has  a responsibility for a child born on or after 1 September 2002 who’s in full time education

3. You have a child who’s registered disabled

4. You have a child who’s disabled and getting Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element for a child born on or after 1st April 2002

5. Disabled child premium

6. You’re registered disabled or you receive disability benefits including:

1. You require constant care

2. You rely on mains-powered medical equipment

3. You have long-term physical or mental illness (Learning Difficulties)

4. You have an exemption from NHS prescription charges because of:

1. Your fuel bills for heating are more than 10% of Gross Annual Household Income

Userlevel 2

Hi there 

In the broad group all the criteria say if you have a child that you recieve tax credits or uc for you can apply. My question is can I apply? I am on uc my daughter is severely disabled on uc and requiers a lot if electrical equipment for her daily life. But the application forms only ask if you or your partner have a disability, it doesn't mention if you have an adult child with disabilities? 

Hi Lyn when you say application form are you talking about one from OVP, I ask because this year's applications are not open yet?

I assume from your post that your daughter is now an adult, so you need to know if you can apply because

A. You are on UC

B. someone in your household is severely disabled. Is your daughter part of your claim? Or is she assessed as a separate household?  And does she receive any other benefit like PIP?

It is not easy to see how to apply the application criteria without this info, I am not asking you to share it here, but I think you have to understand how the benefits coming into your household are broken down, and then to try and fit that to the criteria. I am not really up on UC but legacy benefits used to only allow one claim per household, so one person is the claimant, and they claim for everybody in the ‘Household’ in the one claim.

My gut feeling is you should be able to apply but OVO’s notes don’t really seem to cover your situation as the ‘account holder’ with a potentially qualifying person (in your household) being your adult daughter, who I guess is dependent?

There are points like this one in the ‘for incomes under 16K which are not clear 3. You have a child who’s registered disabled. Which you do, but she is no longer a ‘child’ (age defined) be she is your child.

I find the OVO notes confusing It says ‘you’ often when it might mean to say you or your household but I don’t know. Household is an important term when thinking about benefits.

I wish I could give you an exact answer, the Citizens Advice might have more knowledge, but I believe each energy company has slightly different rules for the broader group I believe, so they would be the best people to tell you.

@Tim_OVO is there any way you could elevate Lyn's request to the team dealing with Warm Homes when the applications open?

All the best Piers

Userlevel 2

hi, can you tell me when warm front applications open I am disabled with cancer and osteoarthritis and rely on this as it helps me out . I have registered but sometimes I do not get an email .thank you Richard

Is there any update as to when application will be live? I registered interested 6 weeks ago and phoned Ovo who told me it should be sorted by 19th or a day or two after. How will I be informed when it is live? Also I am new to Ovo, do I apply by calling or can you do it through the app? Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 7

The window has opened all, link here to apply!

FYI @Pierssy @richard1966 @markymate @Cheekycat @mbc127 @Wendiwoo @Lynn72 

Userlevel 2

@Pierssy @Cheekycat @markymate @mbc127 I hear it’s tomorrow PM, everyone. Final testing happening at the moment. 

I share your frustrating about the time it has taken to get this open, especially as we can see other suppliers being faster. 

Come back here this time tomorrow to let us know if you’ve been able to apply?

Hi Tim it has just gone live, and my application is in.

Thanks for all your help.

Userlevel 7

@Lynn72 please check out the info @Pierssy has kindly offered to help with your application. 

If you’re still not sure, my advice is to call the Citizens Advice - our Support team aren’t trained in tax, benefit or income criteria for the Warm Home Discount, but the kind folk at the Citizens Advice are! 

Let us know the latest when you know please :blush:

Userlevel 1

I’ve done mine. Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

Thanks at last!

Warm Home Discount

Apply for the Warm Home Discount

Thanks!

We have your application form, so you're all done for now.

It might take us up to 5 days to review it, but we’ll be in touch as soon as possible. If you’re successful, you might need to send us some supporting documents, but we’ll give you plenty of notice. In the meantime, you can check the terms and conditions here.

Thanks,
Ovo Energy

Thank you Tim_OVO for informing us. I have applied now. Really appreciate you letting us know.

Userlevel 1

I just tried to apply for WHD I put my OVO ID and postcode in it says 

Sorry – sadly we’re not supplying your electricity, which means you can’t apply for a Warm Home Discount with us. 

What is going on it was only 2 days ago I was informed my gas was being switched which turns out a technical issue

Userlevel 7

Did you find out who your supplier of electricity was, @stevebethere?

I’m keen to rule out a technical issue preventing this Warm Home Discount application from getting submitted. Likewise if a supplier has taken your supply without your request, that needs sorting also! 

Get our Support team on the case please...