Question

Why is an incorrect reading since billing system change still effecting my smart meter estimated readings on the online account?

So OVO did their system change on 18th April. My electric reading on 14th April was 0009021. 
when they have done the change they have put my reading as 0008420 on the 18th.

therefore  when I have given my subsequent readings it is thinking  I have used way more than I have, I have spoken to them and they said they rectified it however now after giving another reading it has jumped back again. 
I on average use approx 240khw a month electric 
for October now it’s stated I have used 1270kwh for 21 days. 
Iv rang, Iv emailed, Iv sent videos in, Iv done the health check they asked for, Iv emailed a complaint in. 
I’m sick of this now, I just want a new meter dont ting so we can start again at zero and this be done with! I don’t want to be doing this every single month when I have to submit a reading due to the smart meters never sending one since installing, 

I can’t be the only one this has happened to? What about the older people who can’t check online at all there reading and just pay….. 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry to hear all this @Spritepixie - your complaint should’ve handled better than this.

As for the issue itself, have a look at what I’ve just posted over here in response to another customer with the same problem.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @Spritepixie and sharing this negative experience. 

As you’ve mentioned doing the smart meter health checks, are you able to tell us the cause of your smart meters not communicating with OVO remotely? That will help us advise you on your options for getting these meters communicating with us remotely or your chances of getting new ones fitted that do! 

From your (very handy) topic description and screenshot, it does look like the estimates are way under your actual readings. As I outlined in this topic, that estimate is based on smart meter readings, customers readings (or in the absence of both) your annual usage average. Your usage average may be the cause, but it may also be that some incorrect readings weren’t deleted from the reading history.. are you able to check that here?

I’d also be keen to hear the result of your complaint. If it's not resolved, a manager and then our expert Complaints team are on hand to deep dive into this. Which gives us a good chance of diagnosing the issue. Keep us updated please! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Erm… do you actually have Smart Meters@Spritepixie. You didn’t say, so I didn’t assume that you have.

Just to clarify: there are two quite separate issues here, but they interact:

1: The erroneous start-reading when your account was migrated to the new Billing System (8420 instead of 9041)

2: The very large electricity usage in September, which is complicated because it involves estimated readings from earlier months.

If Point-1 isn’t corrected, then subsequent months’ estimates will be incorrect…. and therefore Point-2 occurs when you try to provide an actual reading.

Hi, thanks for the replies. The health check results were; please note this was on on the 28th Sept so reading are slightly more now. 

1) Confirm your smart meter serial numbers - they're written directly above the bar code on each meter.

Electric 16P7120939

Gas G4P01981611600

2) Look for a light labelled WAN on the front of your electricity meter. Is it flashing/solid/off?

WAN Solid red 

HAN off,nothing 

3) Look for a light labelled HAN on the front of the gas meter. Is this flashing or solid?

I can’t find any light labels HAN or WAN, there are two lights it seems in the centre. These are both off if that’s what you mean. See picture below 

4) Press 0 on your electricity meter. Does this show you the time and date, or the word 'commission'?

Time and date correct 

No word commission 

5) Press 0 on your gas meter. Does this show you the time and date, or the word 'commission'?

Time and date correct 

No word commission 

6) Press 9 (or 6 if you have a two rate meter) on your electricity meter and provide your current meter reading. This appears after the word 'IMP KWH'.

7) Press 9 on your gas meter and provide your current meter reading. This appears after the word 'volume'.

8) Where is the electricity meter situated? E.g, inside, outside, in a metal box, near thick wall, in a basement or anywhere that could be blocking the signal

Inside Cellar , front of house, almost below gas which is outside on wall. 

9) How is the mobile signal next to the meter? Is it good, average or poor?

Poor 

10) Please let us know roughly how far your gas meter is from the electricity meter. Are there any thick walls that could be blocking the signal?

Approx 4ft from front of cellar to outside front out house where gas is. 

yes I do have smart meters, had them fitted a good couple of years ago but they have never sent reading even after a signal booster was fitted. This wasn’t really a problem to me and I just submitted my own. 
the issue has arisen when OVO changed the system in April and my opening reading was incorrectly put in, 

my last reading I gave on 14th  April was 0009021

the opening reading on the next bill and after the system change was 0008420, therefore 601khw less then my actual reading, 

Iv still not had any official response from my complaint, and now they are wanting me to put my DD which is not happening, 

If I wasn’t tied into a contract I’d have left by now 

Reading I gave on 14th April, one day before the system change. 

It’s says a day later I gave 8420 which I did not, but that’s how they’ve opened the new system 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well that’s all useful information, @Spritepixie - and we now know that you do have Smart Meters. As you mention pressing a numerical button, we’ll assume that you have a SMETS1 installation with an electricity meter manufactured by Secure.

Your post also tells me that there’s at least two other faults on your site.

You have no connection to the Wide Area Network, which is why you’re sending in manual readings. That’s indicated by the LED being solid-red (not flashing).

The Home Area Network isn’t functional either. So the communications to your IHD and gas meter are down.

I cannot understand why your complaint hasn’t been addressed either in the initial 5-day period, nor the 8-weeks stipulated for Stage-2. Check the Complaints Procedure here.

Could you also please complete your Forum Profile page. As I’m a fellow customer, that’s where I go to pick up basic information such as your geographical region. Smart Meter communications differ according to where you are.

Hi yes your right it is the first gen meter, I have updated my profile page if it helps.

I am currently on the phone speaking to a helpful agent called Sandy who has arranged for a new gas & electric meter to be fitted, then once that is done i will have to see what the final bill for the old meter is and go from there,

she seems to think the meter is sending incorrect readings then showing me a different ready, Iv no idea anymore

Userlevel 7

Thanks for all of the info above, @Spritepixie - it helps us diagnosers here get to the root cause! :nerd: 

she seems to think the meter is sending incorrect readings then showing me a different ready, Iv no idea anymore

This seems unlikely, as @Transparent mentions there’s no WAN, so readings shouldn’t be making it onto your online account. However you should be able to see readings in your reading history section - can you confirm? 

Feel free to send me a PM with your account number, full name and date of birth so I can check that you’re getting the best advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just to clarify @Tim_OVO - my diagnosis was before @Spritepixie completed the Profile page. We now know that this site is in the Northern Territory.

The feature I know least about with SMETS1 meters is the indicator light patterns in the north. I guess they should be the same as Central and Southern territories because their installation pre-dates the National Smart Meter Network. But that’s an assumption on my part!

Could this be checked with the S1 Team and added specifically to the SMETS1 Tutorial and the SMETS1 Health Check?

Both Topics mention the relevant indicators and show them in pictures. But there’s no mention of either their normal status or their error-states!

hi, yes i said i doubt its the meter sending the incorrect readings as they've never sent them before but she insisted she was looking at a big list of readings …..

ill PM you my account details @Tim_OVO 

thank you 

Userlevel 7

Can we get an update on this one, @Spritepixie - keen to get a ‘best answer’ assigned….

@Tim_OVO said after looking at my account “Looking at the account notes, I can see this relates to your meter using economy 7 (two rate) readings, with the old billing platform using one register the whole time, but the new billing platform pulling readings from the unused other register. A meter exchange is the best fix, which as been arranged. And we have your readings on record so we will be able to bill you up to the meter exchange date correctly!”

I have been in touch with a very helpful agent at OVO who has arranged for both meters to be replaced on 5th Nov, the battle I expect will then be to accurately bill the final reading from the old meters as I do not and never have had economy 7 readings,  I’ll update when this has happened, 

thanks all for your help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Agh! You have Economy-7 too :scream:

There are established protocols to estimate usage from a meter which hasn’t been giving readings. However, if you’ve notified OVO of the issue and they haven’t resolved the matter for many months, then you can hardly be expected to pay based on an immediate assessment.

One sensible alternative is to measure the Economy-7 usage over the next year on the new meter and then generate a bill based on that.

A second option is for OVO to offer a lump-sum discount if you’ll agree to a reasonable estimate based on one-month’s usage on the new meter. There’s obviously a significant factor which is weather-dependent, but that’s why they may wish to offer a reduction to get it sorted quickly.

Finally, I have once been in a relative’s house when an “inspector” arrived with an engineer to swap out a gas meter which had been reported faulty within a week of it being fitted. Over a year had now passed with no remedy being pursued and the customer paying nothing.

The Inspector suggested an estimate based on the previous full year for which there had been readings taken.

I chipped in and suggested that my elderly relative pay nothing at all on the grounds that she had correctly reported the meter wasn’t registering usage when it was first fitted.

The Inspector blew a gasket and threatened going to court.

I reminded him that the Energy Supplier must first deliver a Bill and then a Letter Before Action, laying out the terms of the debt. Since he couldn’t produce a Bill, I told him that it was unlikely that a court would hear the case.

The unknown “debt” was written off by letter the next day!  :slight_smile:

No - I don’t think that would work today. Energy Estimates are now a much more established practice.

But how can I prove I have never been on economy 7.? 
I have always been on the simply better energy deal. 
from day one (years ago) I reported the meters wasn’t sending reading, they came out and fitted a signal booster which still didn’t work, since then I have always submitted my own reading. 
suddenly since the system change its all gone tits up, I won’t be paying the extra 1200kwh they say I have used in 10 ish days

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t think the burdon of proof lies solely with you. There are bound to be times when meter technology lets us down. This has been the case for decades.

As it was a comment from @Tim_OVO which identified you were meant to have two tariffs on your account, OVO’s Billing Team aren’t suddenly going to suggest otherwise.

Only you know if there were devices in your house which are meant to have been using Economy-7, and only you know the dates of when changes were made to your meters, tariffs etc.

I suggest you write down the history of these events in chronological order so that it can be compared against the erroneous bills which you have been receiving. Don’t post it here on the open Forum, but you can send it to Tim as a Private Message if you’d like him to check that it makes sense.

You will obviously get billed incorrectly until after the meter installation on 5th Nov. So there’s no point worrying in the meantime.

Shortly afterwards I guess you’ll hear from OVO and we’ll stand by ready to advise if it seems to you that any proposed estimates are biased against you.

On balance I’d expect OVO to make a fair offer for financial settlement, and that will include a measure of compensation for their failure to address the faulty meter readings from the date when you first reported it.

It’s really quite simple in my eyes. 
Before the system change my reading was 9100 ish on 15th April. when the they change the system on 18th April they inputted my reading as 8400, 

then due to the change I was unable to submit readying for may June and July therefore when Iv put august/Septembers it’s like WHOA how much have you used??? Lol 

if they are saying I should have had 2 separate reading (for the E7) then have I been submitting higher than the ‘real’ readings  all this time then Iv no idea, 

Userlevel 7

Let’s take another look at @Spritepixie’s recent comment: 

@Tim_OVO said after looking at my account “Looking at the account notes, I can see this relates to your meter using economy 7 (two rate) readings, with the old billing platform using one register the whole time, but the new billing platform pulling readings from the unused other register. A meter exchange is the best fix, which as been arranged. And we have your readings on record so we will be able to bill you up to the meter exchange date correctly!”

Whilst I can’t confirm the details of a customer account on a public forum, from this message I think it's clear the billing can be sorted by using the correct register in the final bill. The property uses a single register, and isn't Eco-7, and it’s that correct register (used whilst on the old billing platform) that the final bill will be based on...