Solved

Why did my billing stop when I ordered a smart meter?

• 30 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi

When moving into a new flat, a mistake of OVO’s part meant that despite regularly submitting two sets of meter readings, OVO were only billing me for one.  After around 12 months it was finally picked up and they sent me a bill for almost £1,500.  The suggestion at that time was that I increase the direct debit to pay this off and so I did, from £66 to £255 per month.

Yesterday I submitted my meter readings and noticed that after a further 12 months I am now £593.95 in credit.  I haven’t had a statement in that time but looking at the web site, they appear to have stopped billing me altogether!

This morning I rang OVO and spoke to Jonathan to ask why.  He told me that apparently it is because back around March time, I asked to have a smart meter fitted.  I was duly informed that for some unknown reason I can’t have a smart meter, but as a consequence OVO had automatically stopped billing me.  Not only that but they are not going to start billing me again until February next year!  Jonathan then went on to say that despite the fact that the £1,500 debt was now cleared and we are in credit by almost £600, we should think about increasing our direct debit further as when they do start billing me again, it will start with a massive one - but he has no idea how much!

I have no idea why the request for a smart meter caused OVO to stop billing us but given that we were then informed that we can’t in fact get one surely billing should have started automatically.

Is it normal for OVO to stop billing for 12 months whenever you try to order a smart meters, even when they subsequently find you can’t have one?

Kind regards - Glen

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 31 October 2019, 17:12

Hi@GreenUser,

If you book a smart meter exchange, then your account would automatically be placed on a billing suspension. This is in anticipation of the new meters being installed, and us having to update your meter details on your account before being able to bill you again. If you then cancelled the appointment, your account should be taken off billing suspension, but it sounds like in this case it wasn’t. Did you book an appointment and then cancel it?

With regards to your account balance, I can’t really advise without accessing your account. Please send the team on Facebook a message with your account number, full name and DoB and they’ll be able to investigate this for you: m.me/ovoenergy

Thanks

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi@GreenUser,

If you book a smart meter exchange, then your account would automatically be placed on a billing suspension. This is in anticipation of the new meters being installed, and us having to update your meter details on your account before being able to bill you again. If you then cancelled the appointment, your account should be taken off billing suspension, but it sounds like in this case it wasn’t. Did you book an appointment and then cancel it?

With regards to your account balance, I can’t really advise without accessing your account. Please send the team on Facebook a message with your account number, full name and DoB and they’ll be able to investigate this for you: m.me/ovoenergy

Thanks

Hi Nancy

I never cancelled it as I received a call informing me that due to the layout of my flat, we couldn’t have a smart meter.  I kind of assumed that OVO would therefore cancel it and reinstate my billing.  I have tried emailing OVO but haven’t had any response.  I will try the Facebook option you suggest.

Kind regards,

Glen