Solved

Direct Debit Accounts - Do they need to be in credit?

• 18 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Does anyone else find the need to be constantly in credit to at least the value of the monthly DD unhelpful customer service? I accept that DDs should reflect the annual projection of energy cost. However if a DD is a twelve of the at cost, only prices rises should result in a demand for a higher monthly DD.

I'm just researching this practice with other energy suppliers and wondered if I was alone in this belief.
icon

Best answer by stateofit 28 September 2017, 13:26

I think the aim of the game is to get through the year, including the more expensive winter months, without falling into debt and without having to change your DD at All...

I'm in a house of 4, I pay £90 per month which I Know is around £15 too much on my current tariff, and take advantage of the interest. It was already Way more than my savings account when it was 3%, and I'm now up to 4%, with 5% looming in December...

I do like knowing Exactly how much my energy bill will be every month, it's always £90 and I can budget for it, I don't want bigger bills in the run-up to Christmas.

I think it also depends When you join. Ideally you wanna build up credit over summer when you're using Less than your DD, and if I have around 2 months credit when it gets real cold, I can be fairly sure I'll come out in Spring still in a bit of credit. But if you start at zero in late summer, you're gonna be playing catch-up straight away...

Every now and then, if the credit gets excessive, I take it out and spend it on my partner :)

So I kinda think of the "one month credit" rule as just being really good advice, so that would qualify it as Good customer service, imho...
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
@Emma_G @stateofit @sam_cat @BrizzleLass - what do you guys think?
Userlevel 3
Hi @CJohn

No I'm not always in credit with my account, there is usually a few months during the winter where my account dips into the negative, bit it always rights itself in the spring/summer so I don't stress about it.

Hope that helps.
Userlevel 3
I think the aim of the game is to get through the year, including the more expensive winter months, without falling into debt and without having to change your DD at All...

I'm in a house of 4, I pay £90 per month which I Know is around £15 too much on my current tariff, and take advantage of the interest. It was already Way more than my savings account when it was 3%, and I'm now up to 4%, with 5% looming in December...

I do like knowing Exactly how much my energy bill will be every month, it's always £90 and I can budget for it, I don't want bigger bills in the run-up to Christmas.

I think it also depends When you join. Ideally you wanna build up credit over summer when you're using Less than your DD, and if I have around 2 months credit when it gets real cold, I can be fairly sure I'll come out in Spring still in a bit of credit. But if you start at zero in late summer, you're gonna be playing catch-up straight away...

Every now and then, if the credit gets excessive, I take it out and spend it on my partner :)

So I kinda think of the "one month credit" rule as just being really good advice, so that would qualify it as Good customer service, imho...