Solved

What size are my meter tails?

• 16 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I had an OVO SmartMeter installed in 2017.
We've just bought an electric car (a PHEV - a second hand Mitsubishi Outlander).
To fit a charging point in our driveway I've engaged ChargedEV, who have forwarded the enquiry to UK Power networks to install a 100 amp fuse.
In advance of that I need to identify if our meter tails and consumer unit tails are 25mm (rather than 16mm).
As I understand it, OVO 'own' the meter tails.
I (or at least a qualified electrician) 'own' the consumer unit tails.
UK Power networks 'own' that fuse.

How do I work out what size the Ovo meter tails they are?
(And any advice on the same for the consumer unit connection welcome!)

Many thanks, Neil

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=37be729d41&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1636486690691957602&th=16b5f7f986594362&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9cYY-BvclEJF__lvp8rV7oxFtlOSft93uTKPCxsyfTCJzXtgtFfZ8kdqy8eEryCpDGaiMXrEYXnOkAtHYmU20Tct26ifTuuNUnVxl_OJ4ZOUThjJEpzPCEVF4&disp=emb
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 19 June 2019, 12:29

Great question, @Apples and welcome to the forum!

I have changed your title and made it into a question, just so that people in the same situation can find the answer a bit more easily.

Our meter tails are 25mm as standard, even if you had 16mm prior to your smart meter being installed in 2017, when the smart meter went in our installers would have updated the meter tails.

Hope this helps!
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Great question, @Apples and welcome to the forum!

I have changed your title and made it into a question, just so that people in the same situation can find the answer a bit more easily.

Our meter tails are 25mm as standard, even if you had 16mm prior to your smart meter being installed in 2017, when the smart meter went in our installers would have updated the meter tails.

Hope this helps!
Wonderful - thank you Amy!

While doing some work to my consumer unit, the electrician has advised that: ‘the tails from the electricity meter to the henley blocks’ are around 6mm & should be 16mm - 25mm’. a) is this safe? b) can you update? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’ve moved your post here, @elizad, please see my best answer, I would recommend reaching out to our team for further info regarding updating the meter tails. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063. 

Hope this helps!