Solved

What size are my meter tails? Getting a 100 amp fuse and need to know if tails are 25mm or 16mm for EV charger

• 16 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I had an OVO SmartMeter installed in 2017.
We've just bought an electric car (a PHEV - a second hand Mitsubishi Outlander).
To fit a charging point in our driveway I've engaged ChargedEV, who have forwarded the enquiry to UK Power networks to install a 100 amp fuse.
In advance of that I need to identify if our meter tails and consumer unit tails are 25mm (rather than 16mm).
As I understand it, OVO 'own' the meter tails.
I (or at least a qualified electrician) 'own' the consumer unit tails.
UK Power networks 'own' that fuse.

How do I work out what size the Ovo meter tails they are?
(And any advice on the same for the consumer unit connection welcome!)

Many thanks, Neil

icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 19 June 2019, 12:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6

Updated on 07/12/23 by Abby_OVO

Great to hear about your new Electric Vehicle (EV)! In case you haven’t already seen it we’ve got a great community discussion on EV purchasing here.

Important question to ask now you’re looking to install an EV charging point. Happy to confirm that if you’ve had a smart meter installed by OVO the meter tails would be upgraded to 25mm as standard, even if you had 16mm prior to your smart meter being installed.

If you’ve got a traditional meter and are looking to get an EV charger installed, we’d advise taking this opportunity to get a smart meter installed to make sure your meter tails will fit the bill. There’s other great smart meter benefits too!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Wonderful - thank you Amy!

While doing some work to my consumer unit, the electrician has advised that: ‘the tails from the electricity meter to the henley blocks’ are around 6mm & should be 16mm - 25mm’. a) is this safe? b) can you update? 

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @elizad, please see my best answer, I would recommend reaching out to our team for further info regarding updating the meter tails. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter , our Help Centre has online chat, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063. 

Hope this helps!